Surprised to see such an academy

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Surprised to see such an academy

Post by Stelcom66 »

I wish I was looking for a part time job -

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Surprised to see such an academy

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Interesting - I wonder how they vet the instructors.

Also, do they follow a company process for the training, or do the trainers just teach as they please?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Good questions - I wonder about 'you would teach at a parking near you'.

I wouldn't think they own any, and maybe the 'academy' is virtual. Another job post came up today for a different city in the same state.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Stelcom66 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:03 am Good questions - I wonder about 'you would teach at a parking near you'.

I wouldn't think they own any, and maybe the 'academy' is virtual. Another job post came up today for a different city in the same state.
Yeah, I'd say no brick, no mortar, and borowing the use of public or private parking lots.

Some people maybe wouldn't be good instructors. I remember my Mom telling me how frustrating it was when my Father taught her how to drive.....she had no experience driving anything, maybe not even riding a bike. With respect to learning the Amish aspects of driving, She told me he would get frustrated and yell "Clutch It", but she didn't know if that meant she was to disengage (push the pedal down) or to engage (let the pedal come up) the clutch. I don't believe they had large parking lots to learn in back then - seriously.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:45 am
Yeah, I'd say no brick, no mortar, and borowing the use of public or private parking lots.

Some people maybe wouldn't be good instructors. I remember my Mom telling me how frustrating it was when my Father taught her how to drive.....she had no experience driving anything, maybe not even riding a bike. With respect to learning the Amish aspects of driving, She told me he would get frustrated and yell "Clutch It", but she didn't know if that meant she was to disengage (push the pedal down) or to engage (let the pedal come up) the clutch. I don't believe they had large parking lots to learn in back then - seriously.
Right - some wouldn't be cut out to be an instructor. I could see how 'Clutch It' could be taken either way. The job post asks 'Want to become part of the largest movement in the US to save the manuals by teaching others?' Maybe there's more interest than I realized.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If they can pull it off well and turn the tide by converting more drivers to the Amish faith, then maybe they would deserve an academy award.

....or maybe THIS academy Award: