If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR CAR BECAUSE IT HASN'T RAINED LATELY,.........

Tesla, Nio suspend EV charging services as China power cuts bite
Tesla turned off or restricted services at more than a dozen super-charging stations in two cities, leaving just two still in operation and only during the night as of Aug. 17, local media reported.

User apps show charging stations are down in Chengdu in Sichuan province -- where the nation’s worst drought since the 1960s has slashed hydropower generation at the same time a punishing heatwave has sent electricity demand surging -- and the nearby city of Chongqing.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 7-readmore
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:48 pm If you wait too long to buy your Hellcat Durango,........

LAST CALL FOR DODGE PISTON POWER - Autoline Daily
The piston powered versions of the Dodge Charger and Challenger are going away for good next year, and Dodge is sending them off in a blaze of glory. It’s teasing 7 special-edition models at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit this week. Six of them connect to iconic Dodge models of the past, the 7th will be unveiled at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this November. It’s also offering a rainbow of heritage colors, an expansion of SRT Jailbreak models, a commemorative “Last Call” under hood plaque for all 2023 Charger and Challenger vehicles and a new vehicle allocation process. Last Call means just that. This is the last chance anyone will have to buy a new Charger or Challenger with a piston engine under the hood.

Call me a Luddite, but I see a lot of barriers in switching over all automobile sales to BEVs, including electrical grid capacity, material availability, cold climates, long driving distances, and lack of personal charging stations (especially for multi-vehicle families and apartment dwellers). I'm not saying they're going to make Hemi Challengers for another 5 years, but I think they'll more likely make some kinda Hybrid available than commit to full BEV production.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.co ... 24058&mid=
color me surprised that any car brand would go all-out EV (even though I thought VW was doing that sooner and not just some EVs); color me MOAR surprised that Stellantis or whatever they call themselves is supposedly doing it. and going from having all these hemis and other powerful ICE engines to all EV?? Watkins, tell me this is a hoax!!

edit: yes, forgot to concur that this is far too early to be going all EV. Hybrid or plug-in hybrid would make more sense, at least to me.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:43 am color me surprised that any car brand would go all-out EV (even though I thought VW was doing that sooner and not just some EVs); color me MOAR surprised that Stellantis or whatever they call themselves is supposedly doing it. and going from having all these hemis and other powerful ICE engines to all EV?? Watkins, tell me this is a hoax!!

edit: yes, forgot to concur that this is far too early to be going all EV. Hybrid or plug-in hybrid would make more sense, at least to me.
At the same time that they make insane new straight 6 twin turbo engines? It wont last. The new EVs wont sell well enough and they'll have to backtrack. They have the wrong market share invested in the company for electrics to work. Also the 4xE Wranglers are a mess, so don't trust Stellantis hybrid shit either.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:58 pm
potownrob wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:43 am color me surprised that any car brand would go all-out EV (even though I thought VW was doing that sooner and not just some EVs); color me MOAR surprised that Stellantis or whatever they call themselves is supposedly doing it. and going from having all these hemis and other powerful ICE engines to all EV?? Watkins, tell me this is a hoax!!

At the same time that they make insane new straight 6 twin turbo engines? It wont last. The new EVs wont sell well enough and they'll have to backtrack. They have the wrong market share invested in the company for electrics to work. Also the 4xE Wranglers are a mess, so don't trust Stellantis hybrid shit either.
ok, phew! thanks for clearing that up.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IF YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR CAR ON A BOAT TO CHINA TO "REFILL THE TANK",......

CHINA HAS MORE EV CHARGERS THAN ANYONE ELSE - Autoline Daily
And one thing all EVs need is a place to charge and China has more places to plug in than any other country. Through the first 8 months of the year, it’s added nearly 1.7 million new chargers or what China calls charging piles. That brings the total to more than 4.3 million charging piles across China. It’s also expanding the number of battery swapping stations. NIO announced it opened its 1,100th swapping station, which means it’s capable of doing more than 30,000 battery swaps a day and has so far done more than 12 million to date.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:16 am IF the generator charging the battery goes ZOOM-ZOOM,.............

U.S. launch of Mazda MX-30 Range Extender with rotary engine confirmed

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mazda/m ... ry-engine/
interesting approach to the ev debacle. and hier eye fought my car was different fore knot having a turbo engine and knot use zing a CVT tranny...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IF the manufacturer of your vehicle charges a yearly fee to enable the full performance potential of the vehicle,.....

SPEED COSTS MONEY, HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO? - Autoline Daily
Would you pay a monthly fee just so your car could go faster? Would you pay $1,200? Mercedes is about to find out. It’s offering an OTA, what it calls an “Acceleration Increase,” for the EQE and EQS. Both the sedan and SUV models. And it significantly boosts performance. We’re talking 8-tenths to a full second faster 0-60. But it’s the cost that’s grabbing headlines. That twelve-hundred bucks is not a one-time fee, that’s per year. So, let us know what you think. Would you be willing to pony up that kind of cash?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/mercedes- ... in-its-evs
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If it simulates driving Amish in order to fake an element of driver involvement,.....

LEXUS DEVELOPING EV MANUAL TRANSMISSION - Autoline Daily
And speaking of manual transmissions, they might not die with electric vehicles. The chief engineer of Lexus Electrified says that it’s developing a manual for EVs that’s “not just a design concept.” The system is said to feature a shift lever, tach and third pedal, but will use software to simulate the feeling of a manual. But that also means each driver could tune the system to their preference. Lexus says the test vehicles have been fun to drive, but let us know what you think in the comments.

https://www.kenshikiforum.com/

At the 12:30 time stamp on the Deep Dive Lexus video.

"There is nothing more engaging for the passionate driver than to shift the gears for the right amount of torque at that time"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:57 pm If it simulates driving Amish in order to fake an element of driver involvement,.....

And speaking of manual transmissions, they might not die with electric vehicles. The chief engineer of Lexus Electrified says that it’s developing a manual for EVs that’s “not just a design concept.” The system is said to feature a shift lever, tach and third pedal, but will use software to simulate the feeling of a manual. But that also means each driver could tune the system to their preference. Lexus says the test vehicles have been fun to drive, but let us know what you think in the comments.

"There is nothing more engaging for the passionate driver than to shift the gears for the right amount of torque at that time"
eye doughn't fink it werks dat whey whiff an electrical drive train, butt what dew eye no??
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:05 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:57 pm If it simulates driving Amish in order to fake an element of driver involvement,.....

eye doughn't fink it werks dat whey whiff an electrical drive train, butt what dew eye no??
I'm sure my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Hanning, would take umbrage with your grammar and tell you that you put your eye too close to your butt.

She tried to break John Peterson of using the word "Ain't" by putting a jar on her desk and stating that any time someone in the classroom said the word "Ain't", they had to put a nickel in the jar. John Peterson instantly ejaculated "I ain't gonna pay!", to which Mrs. Hanning immediately replied "that's one nickel you owe".
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you "Take out the Trash" to fuel your vehicle,.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHake6w4Su0[/youtube]

FUSION ENERGY BREAKTHROUGH ANNOUNCEMENT - Autoline Daily
Wow, this could be huge. Tomorrow, Jennifer Granholm, the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Energy is reportedly going to announce a breakthrough in generating power from nuclear fusion. Scientists at the Lawrence Livermore national laboratory in California produced more energy in a fusion reaction than the process consumed. That’s never been done before. Today’s nuclear reactors use nuclear fission, which leaves a lot of radioactive residue. Fusion does not produce nuclear waste. Though it could take several decades to commercialize this technology, it could solve any problems with climate change and make electric and fuel cell vehicles extremely sustainable.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-fu ... bon-power/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:16 am IF the generator charging the battery goes ZOOM-ZOOM,.............

U.S. launch of Mazda MX-30 Range Extender with rotary engine confirmed

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mazda/m ... ry-engine/
update!
MAZDA SHARES MX-30 ROTARY RANGE EXTENDER DETAILS AUTOLINE DAILY 13 JAN 2023
We’ve got some more details on Mazda’s rotary range extender. And the big news for us is that the engine will provide power directly to the wheels in certain scenarios, like the Chevrolet Volt. It’s a series plug-in hybrid setup with the new rotary engine positioned on the same axle as the electric motor. Mazda also slashed the battery size. The MX-30 EV comes with a 35.5 kWh pack, but the range extended version, which has a mouthful of a name – MX-30 e-Skyactiv R-EV – only comes with a 17.8 kWh battery. It’s rated at 85 kilometers or about 53 miles on the WLTP test cycle, while the pure EV version has about 100 miles or 160 kilometers of EPA range. But no word yet on price or availability.

https://newsroom.mazda.com/en/publicity ... 0113a.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If, starting in 2035, the state you reside in bans the sale of the kind of vehicle you drive,.......

WYOMING WANTS TO BAN EVs - From Autoline Daily
But maybe this will slow down lithium demand a bit. While many countries, states and cities want to ban the sales of new ICE vehicles, Wyoming wants to ban the sale of EVs. In fact, it wants to ban them by 2035. The sponsors of the legislation say the oil and gas industry has created countless jobs and generated revenue for the state. And they say that Wyoming doesn’t have enough of a charging infrastructure. Wyoming is the 8th largest oil producer in the U.S.

"WHEREAS, the United States has consistently invested in the oil and gas industry to sustain gas-powered vehicles, and that investment has resulted in the continued employment of thousands of people in the oil and gas industry in Wyoming and throughout the country..." - Phasing Out New Electric Vehicle Sales By 2035

https://insideevs.com/features/631229/w ... le-sales/b
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If it Takes More Than a Gallon of Gasoline to Get You Rollin' Again,........

...SparkCharge is there!

https://www.sparkcharge.io/pages/charging-as-a-service
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you don't understand unit conversions,..........

VW IMPROVES ITS EV DRIVE UNIT - Autoline Daily
Volkswagen is introducing a new rear electric drive for its ID family of vehicles. The company says the new drive offers higher performance while also improving efficiency. The new powertrain has an output of 210-kW or 281 horsepower and maximum torque of 550 Nm or 405 lb-ft, depending on the vehicle’s gear ratio. VW says it was able to improve the efficiency with a new cooling system that operates without an electric oil pump. The new drive will debut in the ID.7 before the end of the year.
Is this article clumsily written, or does the author not know that 210 kW converts fairly closely to 281 Horsepressures and that 550 Nm converts well to 405 torquenesses?