Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11507
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Noisy motorways are more of a reason for loud music.
Image
But if you are using a record player, the potholes are so bad that it skips on about every pot hole. Very frustrating. I see re-bar showing in some of the potholes. :shock:
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by ClutchFork »

February snow and cold weather here in the Detroit MI area have been brutal on the roads. Thursday evening in the dark I hit this missing section of pavement and it blew my front right tire and bent the rim. The left must have missed because it did not get any damage, but I replaced two tires since they were low on tread anyway at $110 per tire out the door and paid $60 to straighten the rim. At the time I put the donut spare on and of course it hardly had any air, so I had to find a gas station with an air pump. $2 on the credit card to work the pump and it was hit or miss the air would come and go, so after $4 in charges I managed to get home 15 miles. Turns out it got 45 pounds (supposed to be 60 and no speed over about 50 mph). In the image I was traveling from the left side to the right. The hole spans the width of the lane. Called it in on Friday morning and it is still there, no barricades at the time I took the photo an hour ago. For those in the area this is Canton on Morton-Taylor Road in front of the Fresh Thyme store, just a tenth mile north of Ford Road, southbound.
Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11507
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Winter is coming again. I can't speak about potholes, but I've had to put up with repaving of roads that didn't need it, so maybe the roads that did need it got repaved, too?

Autoweek found a corpse that you might be interested in hearing about.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7825
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm Winter is coming again. I can't speak about potholes, but I've had to put up with repaving of roads that didn't need it, so maybe the roads that did need it got repaved, too?

Autoweek found a corpse that you might be interested in hearing about.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
inn un sew bee it fichigan, mucked gets j00 :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm Winter is coming again. I can't speak about potholes, but I've had to put up with repaving of roads that didn't need it, so maybe the roads that did need it got repaved, too?

Autoweek found a corpse that you might be interested in hearing about.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... -treasure/
That is awesome! I had a 1984 No AC F150 that looked a lot like that 1980. My floor shifter was a little different, instead of a curved lever, my was straight and big, kind of like a baseball bat. I had the 300 I6 in it (and in my 95 F150 and my 77 F150 with sunroof).
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7825
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm Winter is coming again. I can't speak about potholes, but I've had to put up with repaving of roads that didn't need it, so maybe the roads that did need it got repaved, too?

Autoweek found a corpse that you might be interested in hearing about.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... -treasure/
That is awesome! I had a 1984 No AC F150 that looked a lot like that 1980. My floor shifter was a little different, instead of a curved lever, my was straight and big, kind of like a baseball bat. I had the 300 I6 in it (and in my 95 F150 and my 77 F150 with sunroof).
Mein vater had a 92 F250 whiff the baseball bat 5 speed shifter whiff the granny 1st gear. Had fun driving that thing. He only kept it for a few years since the body was rusting bad and collateral damage from that. Dad lived in florida but the truck was from the buffalo ny area. My sister was down there whiff him when his brakes went out and he rear ended someone. They were going to give him a ticket until they saw the brake fluid dripping. Jen says he used to run into things instead of using the brakes.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11507
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:30 am
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm Winter is coming again. I can't speak about potholes, but I've had to put up with repaving of roads that didn't need it, so maybe the roads that did need it got repaved, too?

Autoweek found a corpse that you might be interested in hearing about.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... -treasure/
That is awesome! I had a 1984 No AC F150 that looked a lot like that 1980. My floor shifter was a little different, instead of a curved lever, my was straight and big, kind of like a baseball bat. I had the 300 I6 in it (and in my 95 F150 and my 77 F150 with sunroof).
Mein vater had a 92 F250 whiff the baseball bat 5 speed shifter whiff the granny 1st gear. Had fun driving that thing. He only kept it for a few years since the body was rusting bad and collateral damage from that. Dad lived in florida but the truck was from the buffalo ny area. My sister was down there whiff him when his brakes went out and he rear ended someone. They were going to give him a ticket until they saw the brake fluid dripping. Jen says he used to run into things instead of using the brakes.
Image
Cuda bean the NP435 trans. New Process Gear produced those for about 35 years and they were used by several automakers.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t ... plications.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7825
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:52 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:30 am
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am

That is awesome! I had a 1984 No AC F150 that looked a lot like that 1980. My floor shifter was a little different, instead of a curved lever, my was straight and big, kind of like a baseball bat. I had the 300 I6 in it (and in my 95 F150 and my 77 F150 with sunroof).
Mein vater had a 92 F250 whiff the baseball bat 5 speed shifter whiff the granny 1st gear. Had fun driving that thing. He only kept it for a few years since the body was rusting bad and collateral damage from that. Dad lived in florida but the truck was from the buffalo ny area. My sister was down there whiff him when his brakes went out and he rear ended someone. They were going to give him a ticket until they saw the brake fluid dripping. Jen says he used to run into things instead of using the brakes.
Image
Cuda bean the NP435 trans. New Process Gear produced those for about 35 years and they were used by several automakers.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t ... plications.
eye doughn't no witch tranny eat twas, but it sure was fun to shift through the gears whiff that hollow feeling baseball bat. wood dint bee surprised iff an umpire came out to check the shifter, it was that good.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by ClutchFork »

All my floor-shifted Ford trucks (84 F150, 95 F150, 01 Ranger) would have the shift knob eventually fly off on a hard 1-2 shift. My 01 Chebby S10 never did that.

I probably learned on that New Process in a wrecker truck in the 1970s. I would crank it over in 1st gear and it would roll out, then work the shifts.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7825
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 pm All my floor-shifted Ford trucks (84 F150, 95 F150, 01 Ranger) would have the shift knob eventually fly off on a hard 1-2 shift. My 01 Chebby S10 never did that.

I probably learned on that New Process in a wrecker truck in the 1970s. I would crank it over in 1st gear and it would roll out, then work the shifts.
could use that now. crank the truck into motion, shift without the clutch, match revs to get into neutral. :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 pm All my floor-shifted Ford trucks (84 F150, 95 F150, 01 Ranger) would have the shift knob eventually fly off on a hard 1-2 shift. My 01 Chebby S10 never did that.

I probably learned on that New Process in a wrecker truck in the 1970s. I would crank it over in 1st gear and it would roll out, then work the shifts.
could use that now. crank the truck into motion, shift without the clutch, match revs to get into neutral. :twisted:
Yup, did that on my .77 column-shifted 3-speed F100 when the clutch linkage broke. Started it in 1st gear and shifted by rev matching to get it home.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7825
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 pm All my floor-shifted Ford trucks (84 F150, 95 F150, 01 Ranger) would have the shift knob eventually fly off on a hard 1-2 shift. My 01 Chebby S10 never did that.

I probably learned on that New Process in a wrecker truck in the 1970s. I would crank it over in 1st gear and it would roll out, then work the shifts.
could use that now. crank the truck into motion, shift without the clutch, match revs to get into neutral. :twisted:
Yup, did that on my .77 column-shifted 3-speed F100 when the clutch linkage broke. Started it in 1st gear and shifted by rev matching to get it home.
reminds me of when my aunt's clutch went on her corvair. dad drove the car all the way to the dealer without the clutch. fun fun...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11507
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Winter....potholes....and automatics. Ugh!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:31 am
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am could use that now. crank the truck into motion, shift without the clutch, match revs to get into neutral. :twisted:
Yup, did that on my .77 column-shifted 3-speed F100 when the clutch linkage broke. Started it in 1st gear and shifted by rev matching to get it home.
reminds me of when my aunt's clutch went on her corvair. dad drove the car all the way to the dealer without the clutch. fun fun...
In a clutch, you can drive Amish without operating the clutch
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Post Reply