Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:51 pm 17 here. Significantly different if weighted by current typical mileage, as the babymobile gets driven out of necessity a lot of the time and it's the youngest by a significant margin.
The article showed how the average ages for cars and trucks vary - It's getting more difficult to understand what qualifies as a truck these days - The Minivans and PT Cruisers manufactured by "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" met the qualifications for being trucks (except for the PT Convertible, which was a car). I was stinking that it would be interesting to compare the average age for Amish vs Slushbox. That would prolly be heavily skewed by decreasing Amish availability.

I like your idea of showing what the average vehicle's odometer reads.
I'd also be interested in reading what the medians of these distributions might be.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Now You Can Have Your Car and Eat It too!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKxDrlvt22Y[/youtube]

AUTOMAKERS GOING VEGAN - Autoline Daily
Automakers are telling their interior suppliers they want to go vegan. They’re going to start offering leather-delete options for customers who don’t want animals slaughtered just to trim out their car. So automakers are looking for alternative materials that can replace leather wrapped seats, arm rests, shift knobs and steering wheels. In fact, they don’t even want substitute materials that use graining that mimic an animal’s hide. Instead, they want cloth and high tech vinyls that look and feel good. So Continental refitted an old Volkswagen bus to show how its polyurethane and PVC materials can be used throughout the interior. It even has a fake wood that looks and feels like real oak. These materials are more durable and easier to clean than leather, and they even breathe without any perforations. Conti says designers can go with white seats and steering wheels and not worry about them looking dirty. And it’s also working on a way to repair these materials with a heat gun if they get scratched, scraped or cut. You just heat it up and it seals itself. There’s another factor at work here. High tech vinyls are lower cost than leather. Tesla was the first automaker to go full vegan with its cars, and it sure sounds like the rest of the industry is going to go that way, too.

https://www.continental.com/en-us/press ... he-future/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

As Paul Simon once sang:
"When I was a Little Boy.......

And the gas pumps would call my name.
I'd say now,"Who do, Who do you think you're Fuelin'?"
My minibike loves me, she loves me, she gets up on a wheelie and she hugs me.
Oh she loves me at $0.25 per gallon.

When I was grown to be a man...
and the gas pumps would call my name.
I'd say now "Who do, Who do you think you're Fuelin'?"
My GLH Turbo loves me, she loves me, she spins the wheels and torque-steers and she hugs me.
Oh she loves me at $1.00 per gallon

As I drive my way to work....
and the gas pumps call my name.
I'm sayin: "Who do, Who do you think you're Fuelin'?"
My Jeep she loves me, she loves me, rain, sunshine, or snow she hugs me.
Oh she loves me at $4.899 per gallon (-4% cashback from costco)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 am As Paul Simon once sang:

My GLH Turbo loves me, she loves me, she spins the wheels and torque-steers and she hugs me.

rope, looks like you put a lot of work into this one... :) :arrow: :lol: 8)

your jeep reminds me of my subaru though... :o :arrow: :cry: :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:31 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 am As Paul Simon once sang:

rope, looks like you put a lot of work into this one... :) :arrow: :lol: 8)

your jeep reminds me of my subaru though... :o :arrow: :cry: :|
My fuel smileage is hovering around 19.5 mpg lately. I try to be more aware of how hard I'm rushing and stay closer to 75 mph than 80 mph on the expressway.
The otter dei, I drove North on Eastbound I-94 to Port Huron and then drove South on Westbound I-94 to come back. Driving the Wife's Cherokee, I set the cruise control for 72 mph. I was getting passed like I was standing still. People complain about the weather, and you really can't do anything about the weather, but when they complain about the price of fuel and then still don't make any efforts to reduce their consumption, I stop thinkin' they really care what it's costing them. Otherwise it's just rampant stupidity, right?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

az aight señor rope. Grant Ted eye oft ten fore get too sloe down butt many other drivers doughn’t think ten over the speed limit is going fast enough then they complain about their Silverado taking all their money. You cant thicks stoop pit eye wreck kin.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:25 am az aight señor rope. Grant Ted eye oft ten fore get too sloe down butt many other drivers doughn’t think ten over the speed limit is going fast enough then they complain about their Silverado taking all their money. You cant thicks stoop pit eye wreck kin.
Yeah, I just hate when that happens.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1aXFYoedg[/youtube]
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:51 pm
potownrob wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:25 am az aight señor rope. Grant Ted eye oft ten fore get too sloe down butt many other drivers doughn’t think ten over the speed limit is going fast enough then they complain about their Silverado taking all their money. You cant thicks stoop pit eye wreck kin.
big sur, ass a nite audit tour, eye yam off end. it takes a special purse son to work over nite, and eye doubt the people inn that there sketch wood make it a week being alone inn the dark all nite. knot toot ting my horn, butt its knot all skittles and rain bows out hier and many come inn think king the job is easy and they can doo it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:09 am
big sur, ass a nite audit tour, eye yam off end. it takes a special purse son to work over nite, and eye doubt the people inn that there sketch wood make it a week being alone inn the dark all nite. knot toot ting my horn, butt its knot all skittles and rain bows out hier and many come inn think king the job is easy and they can doo it.
Sore Eye! ...Aunt hear eye thawed it was about a comedy sketch a boat too guise that mite bee the type two speed ant then two complain a boat the hi prize off gasoline.
Sew mebbe this sketch is less offensive:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vRM4wPcBk[/youtube]
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:16 am
potownrob wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:09 am
Sore Eye! ...Aunt hear eye thawed it was about a comedy sketch a boat too guise that mite bee the type two speed ant then two complain a boat the hi prize off gasoline.
Sew mebbe this sketch is less offensive:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vRM4wPcBk[/youtube]
while eye appreciate them trying to bring back martin and lewis, they are knot martin and lewis and not funny overall, despite the laughtrack. most newer snl skits are lame, though there are a few diamonds in the rough.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

SOARING PRICES FORCE CONSUMERS FROM USED CARS - Autoline Daily
Have we finally hit the point that soaring used car prices are driving people out of the market? According to Cox Automotive, sales of used cars in the US market are down 16% compared to last year, while prices are up by almost the same amount. And it’s not about limited availability. Inventory of used cars is up 7%. It’s all about soaring prices. They’re up 15% over last year. The average price for a used car with 68,000 miles on the odometer is now just over $28,000. In a good year, about 40 million used cars are sold. This year it will drop to 37 million. So what are people doing? They’re fixing up the cars they’ve got. Cox Automotive is very bullish on the automotive service and repair sector.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-content/u ... tation.pdf
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am SOARING PRICES FORCE CONSUMERS FROM USED CARS - Autoline Daily
Have we finally hit the point that soaring used car prices are driving people out of the market? According to Cox Automotive, sales of used cars in the US market are down 16% compared to last year, while prices are up by almost the same amount. And it’s not about limited availability. Inventory of used cars is up 7%. It’s all about soaring prices. They’re up 15% over last year. The average price for a used car with 68,000 miles on the odometer is now just over $28,000. In a good year, about 40 million used cars are sold. This year it will drop to 37 million. So what are people doing? They’re fixing up the cars they’ve got. Cox Automotive is very bullish on the automotive service and repair sector.

dis is wye eye am current lee keeping my car fore now. eye halve looked at the prices and seen what that gets you and said no. eye halve decided to get my current car in better shape for now, in hopes eye can keep it running and maybe even (iff the winds blow the right way) get better gas smileage. there is rumor the markets will somewhat correct within a few months, but i'm holding tight four the thyme bee ying.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:07 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am SOARING PRICES FORCE CONSUMERS FROM USED CARS - Autoline Daily

dis is wye eye am current lee keeping my car fore now. eye halve looked at the prices and seen what that gets you and said no. eye halve decided to get my current car in better shape for now, in hopes eye can keep it running and maybe even (iff the winds blow the right way) get better gas smileage. there is rumor the markets will somewhat correct within a few months, but i'm holding tight four the thyme bee ying.
My buddy who operates a local repair garage said he is swamped - people are putting money into their older cars so they can avoid having to purchase a new or used replacement. The average age of vehicles on USA roads is >12.5 years now. I could see it rising a little faster now, due to cost increases for new and used vehicles.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

yeah, tell me about it. we took mom's '11 accord into the dealer for bad a/c. this is my sister's dealer; the one i would never use, but that is nearby.
not only did they take multiple days just to look at the car (and not supply a loaner), but they came back with a laundry list of things to fix in addition to the a/c compressor. to their credit, they did price out an aftermarket a/c compressor in addition to the supposed real deal (honda a/c compressors doughn't get a good rep). they had items in there that a car w/ twice the mileage might not need replaced, like valves and pumps. sister called up a mechanic she used to have her windshield replaced (apparently safelite wouldn't come out to replace hers so she had to go to a shop). they went through each item, eliminated the several that probably didn't need to be done, and gave prices for the others. the only one they said the dealer should do rather than a shop was the transmission fluid, which she's having done at the dealer along with an oil change. mom almost never drives the car, so don't want to dump too much money into it.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Dealer techs are more often than not far more aware of what goes on with their brands' vehicles than some random independent shop. I promise you I can look over a Mopar product and come up with a list of parts that are on their way out or failed entirely that most mechanics would never even see. There's a reason small shops send cars and customers to us: we know what's going on.