Sick of the Safety NAZIs

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Sick of the Safety NAZIs

Post by ClutchFork »

I can't stand the stupid seat belt warning chime. I want to disable it. I found a place sells extenders that look something like this. Will this defeat the stupid chime? I figure the chime is turned off by the metal tab connecting two leads, or I have to pull the wire out of the base and short them together to turn it off. Or do these companies purposefully avoid the turn off the chime by making the center hole bigger to miss it? I don't want to spend 20 bucks for this to find out it does not turn off the chime.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Sick of the Safety NAZIs

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:06 pm I can't stand the stupid seat belt warning chime. I want to disable it. I found a place sells extenders that look something like this. Will this defeat the stupid chime? I figure the chime is turned off by the metal tab connecting two leads, or I have to pull the wire out of the base and short them together to turn it off. Or do these companies purposefully avoid the turn off the chime by making the center hole bigger to miss it? I don't want to spend 20 bucks for this to find out it does not turn off the chime.
Doan ask me. I'm the guy who cinches his seatbelt tighter (for safety in a collision and also for better control during "Spirited" driving).

Ya wanna borrow my Google card again?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:04 pm
Doan ask me. I'm the guy who cinches his seatbelt tighter (for safety in a collision and also for better control during "Spirited" driving).

Ya wanna borrow my Google card again?
If Google card will turn off chime, yes.

Oh, I do wear seat belt, just sometimes I buckle it after backing into the street. I once went 5 blocks in the neighbor hood without a belt and my boss said that is dangerous I could get in a accident. But who cares? If you drive without a seat belt going 20-25 mph in a car is that worse than riding a bicycle through same neighborhood? Probably safer un-belted in the car. But I started wearing a seat belt several years before it became required. I read an article about saying you will brace yourself against the dash and try catching a 50 pound bag of dirt dropped out of a second story window, and the physics hit home. I light went on in my head and I buckled up. That does not mean I didn't do stupid dangerous things anymore, but at least I did them with a belt on.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I'd venture use of an extender by someone who doesn't need one would render the belt less effective because the lap belt and shoulder belt would meet partway across the body.

You could try this:

https://www.fordfusionclub.com/threads/ ... le.341398/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:11 am I'd venture use of an extender by someone who doesn't need one would render the belt less effective because the lap belt and shoulder belt would meet partway across the body.

You could try this:

https://www.fordfusionclub.com/threads/ ... le.341398/
Oh, sorry, I want this for the Mazda 5 (2008) and the manual for that car says you have to go beg the dealer to do it and they won't want to.

The extender will only extend it about 4 inches. They do have longer ones for folks who are more rotund.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:06 pm I can't stand the stupid seat belt warning chime. I want to disable it. [...]
eye hope, fore yore sake, that yore talking aboot the passenger seat belt chime and knot yore driver side belt chime. :o :shock: fore my over lee intrusive passenger belt chime eye usually try to move things around on the seat so as to turn off the chime, other wise plug in the passenger seatbelt. as far as i understand, plugging in another belt or an extension should turn off the chime.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Alternatively, just put on the damn seatbelt.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:37 pm Alternatively, just put on the damn seatbelt.
That probably works in the Fusion, but in the Mazda it sometimes starts chiming while I am still in park.

One perverse feature of these safety features is that people like to test them, so one time I refused to put my seat belt on and I found that after a while the chime stopped. I suspect if I kept going like that it would have come back on periodically to holler at me.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:17 am
watkins wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:37 pm Alternatively, just put on the damn seatbelt.
That probably works in the Fusion, but in the Mazda it sometimes starts chiming while I am still in park.

One perverse feature of these safety features is that people like to test them, so one time I refused to put my seat belt on and I found that after a while the chime stopped. I suspect if I kept going like that it would have come back on periodically to holler at me.
hier eye fought and hoped you were tgalking about the passenger belt, KNOT the driver belt. are you saying you put the car in park, you take off your seatbelt and the car starts beeping at you like a packard bell running windows me? now that would drive me insane. there's gotta be a way to defeat that.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

F N U wand two knot here a chime when U doan use ewer seatbelt, then by a Tesla!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesl ... p-problem/

Tesla developed the heat pump for 2020 model-year vehicles after owners of older models complained of poor cold-weather performance. In March of 2020, Musk tweeted, "Model Y heat pump is some of the best engineering I've seen in a while. Team did next-level work."

Following the article about the recall of Tesla's "Next Level Work" heat pump system, there is an article about the seat belt chime recall and another article about the rolling stops recall.

F ewer knot N 2 safety, Tesla may B the brand 4 U!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I think I found how Teslas stay warm in winter
https://www.tesla-fire.com/
Stick shiftin since '77
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:28 am

hier eye fought and hoped you were tgalking about the passenger belt, KNOT the driver belt. are you saying you put the car in park, you take off your seatbelt and the car starts beeping at you like a packard bell running windows me? now that would drive me insane. there's gotta be a way to defeat that.
No it is reverse of that. I put key in and start engine, still in park and chime is going off. One way to end the chime is push the car off a cliff, but actually i can just picture it at the bottom all wadded up like it went through the crusher, and the chime still going, Reminds me of the stooges when they smashed a radio transmitter when it would not stop calling for Dr. Howard and Dr. Fine, and then teh tube was running around the r floor still calling out their names, so Moe shot the tube and it finally quit.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:41 pm
potownrob wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:28 am

No it is reverse of that. I put key in and start engine, still in park and chime is going off. One way to end the chime is push the car off a cliff, but actually i can just picture it at the bottom all wadded up like it went through the crusher, and the chime still going, Reminds me of the stooges when they smashed a radio transmitter when it would not stop calling for Dr. Howard and Dr. Fine, and then teh tube was running around the r floor still calling out their names, so Moe shot the tube and it finally quit.
oh yeah, that happens probably in most modern cars ive driven. might knead that there extension to cure yore whoas.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Well the extenders came today and they work great. Of course the first shot at trying them out and the car was going to make a liar of me. Had to drive halfway down the block with no belt to get the chime to go off, but then plugged in the extender and it was gone. They work pretty good. Instead of plugging in the seat belt at the level of the seat, you get to plug it in at the top of your leg, so no more reaching down so far, especially helpfull if wearing heavy gloves. Only problem is getting out you instinctively reach low and take the extender out instead of the belt out of the extender. Still, love it. Will make it easy for mother-in-law to hook up.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »