Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:24 am
potownrob wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:41 am gotcha. i've heard of silver (other than the actual precious metal kept in coins etc.) but never learned how to implement it dietarily. what you said about applying it to wounds did remind me of what can be done with iodine. i drink it with my pill water mainly to cancel out effects from what's in our water like fluoride, chrorine (i think?) etc. i put it in water in shower to help my feet; not sure how effective that is though, other than it being absorbed into my skin etc. magnesium supposedly, among other things, helps with vitamin D absorption.
Right, Magnesium Deficiency Reduces Effectiveness of Vitamin D in the Prevention of Disease:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 05004.html

I drink only bottled spring water, though I saw reports it does have fluoride, but presumably natural fluoride instead of the industrial stuff added. My tap water sometimes reeks of chlorine.
eye halve herd (ore red) that drink king distilled water is bettor fore j00. eye only lasted a couple off days till eye switched bach two sparkling water, but eye doughn't like plain water too begin whiff. waters said to be better than sodas, juices, sparkling water either way. the closest eye can get on a regular bass sis wood bee sparkling water. even lemon-lime and other flavored seltzers are too plain tasting four me. :? :cry: :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 ameye halve herd (ore red) that drink king distilled water is bettor fore j00. eye only lasted a couple off days till eye switched bach two sparkling water, but eye doughn't like plain water too begin whiff. waters said to be better than sodas, juices, sparkling water either way. the closest eye can get on a regular bass sis wood bee sparkling water. even lemon-lime and other flavored seltzers are too plain tasting four me. :? :cry: :|

I guess I could drink the purified or distilled water since I add minerals. Oh for the flavor, add some of this stuff, which I use:

All these supplements are from https://rnareset.com/
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 am
potownrob wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 ameye halve herd (ore red) that drink king distilled water is bettor fore j00. eye only lasted a couple off days till eye switched bach two sparkling water, but eye doughn't like plain water too begin whiff. waters said to be better than sodas, juices, sparkling water either way. the closest eye can get on a regular bass sis wood bee sparkling water. even lemon-lime and other flavored seltzers are too plain tasting four me. :? :cry: :|

I guess I could drink the purified or distilled water since I add minerals. Oh for the flavor, add some of this stuff, which I use:

1 part Vernors or Squirt to 5 parts water......but yanno, I really haven't been doing that for some time now. I've taken to gulping the water down by the cup-full, so I hardly have a chants to taste it anymore. I blame it on the masking. I'm doing the same thing with my coffee now. I was finding that I can't be bothered to drop the mask to take short sips. My liquid consumption was going down until I started doing the gulping thang.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 am
ClutchFork wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 am

1 part Vernors or Squirt to 5 parts water......but yanno, I really haven't been doing that for some time now. I've taken to gulping the water down by the cup-full, so I hardly have a chants to taste it anymore. I blame it on the masking. I'm doing the same thing with my coffee now. I was finding that I can't be bothered to drop the mask to take short sips. My liquid consumption was going down until I started doing the gulping thang.
I remember when I was a kid, there was a neigbor kid who would open the passage to his stomach. He did this to take in a lot of air so he could belch hugely. Likewise I suppose one could try that to just pour water or coffee down, bypassing the act of gulping.

I haint worn a mask since I tried it in about April 2020 and could not breath right.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

One Quarter of Fatal Vehicle Accidents Caused by Distracted Driving

...about the same % as for impaired driving, 2018 figures, per the Traffic Injury Research Foundation

https://canada.autonews.com/technology/ ... 3-readmore
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 am One Quarter of Fatal Vehicle Accidents Caused by Distracted Driving

...about the same % as for impaired driving, 2018 figures, per the Traffic Injury Research Foundation

https://canada.autonews.com/technology/ ... 3-readmore
Saw a flatbed tow truck driving down the road (25 mph street) today driver monkeying with his cell phone.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IIHS sets new guidelines for vehicles with partial automation - Automotive News

"We are worried that these systems are advertised to do certain things, such as drive hands-free and perhaps become disengaged from driving," IIHS President David Harkey said. "There is a message being conveyed to consumers that perhaps these systems can do more than they are intended to."

Vehicles will receive a rating of either "good," "acceptable," "marginal" or "poor." A "good" rating requires that a car monitors whether drivers keep their hands on the steering wheel and whether they look at the road. It also requires that automated lane changes be initiated by the driver, among other things.

The systems must use many alerts to remind the driver of these criteria, and if the driver fails to respond, the vehicle should slow to a crawl or stop, the press release said.

The most common criteria that cars currently on the market fail are monitoring the hands and automated lane change, Harkey said. Many automobiles even market for drivers to use partial automation without holding the steering wheel, he said.

Some other vehicles available to consumers have more egregious faults, even allowing for drivers to use partial automation without wearing a seat belt, Harkey said.

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... automation
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

The automatic transmission seems to have resulted in less attentive drivers. Now with more highly automated cars, will we have even less attention paid to the road, perhaps sleeping drivers.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

i think they hit a sweet spot with the setup on my forester with its eyesight - it makes me do the steering, just warning me if i veer out of lane (if i keep that feature turned on - makes me pay enough attention not to forget i'm driving. it seems the newer versions of eyesight that incorporate steering assist, where the car can steer for you, are where things turn south and people start to forget they have to pay attention to keep the car going. either way, eyesight and other forms of adaptive cruise control are a godsend to half cripples like me.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Gas Prices Getting Back to Normal?

I refueled my Jeep this morning at Costco. Price for Regular Castrated Gasoline was $2.859 per gallon.

I came home and entered the info into my gas smileage log. Besides recently, the last time I paid the same price (or more) was 24 April, 2018.

I paid within a dime of that price per gallon in July of 2019.

These really aren't high historical prices that I've been paying lately. They're nothing like the $4-sumpin prices I was paying back in 2008. They're just a lot higher than when folks weren't traveling, driving into the office, and taking plane flights as much during a good part of the last 2 years.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Yea, thank God gas prices are as low as they are, ore else eye’d be in the slammer for bank robbery to pay fore my fuel. The silver bullet doesn’t exactly sip fuel, ya no.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Wait? People actually pay attention to fuel prices? That's depressing.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm Wait? People actually pay attention to fuel prices? That's depressing.
I'm more interested in Smiles per galleon
or smiles per tankful than what it costs, but I've kept track of fuel purchases since it was a baby. Yanno, I rilly doan half munch miles on it - it's going on 14 years old this spring and when I came back from Costco Sunday morning the odom was at 124,000 exactly. It's still a baby.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Between my heavy foot, needing premium, and having a huge fuel tank, I don't really want to know most of the time. It's even worse with the bus. Sometimes I fill more than my card allows without doing two transactions.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 am Between my heavy foot, needing premium, and having a huge fuel tank, I don't really want to know most of the time. It's even worse with the bus. Sometimes I fill more than my card allows without doing two transactions.
Premium? Yikes! They have a huge increase for premium over regular around here. I can't imagine paying that cost.
Stick shiftin since '77