Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:21 am Yeah, everyone thinks they are above average. Same goes for vehicles - how would you rate relative safety at speed? Would you have to say it can't be an older vehicle because maintenance, fatigue, etc. can make a big difference?

We had some members that commented that the "Beginners" licence was for Slushbox and the "Advanced" license was for Amish drivers. That went along with the idea that beginners have enough to keep their minds octopied without having to drive using 3 feet.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2jHTg1LMA[/youtube]

Well, half of us are above average anyway. ;)

But you make a good point. Automatics are great driver training vehicles. But there was a day when you only had manuals, and crashboxes at that! Must have been quite interesting learning to drive in those days.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

When I was a kid, the era of the newsboy special bicycles with the fat tires was going out and the big fad was the french racer bikes. It seems the more fanatical the biicyclist, the skinnier the tires even to sewups that glue on the rims. I always felt that the fad was very misplaced because the paths that bikes had to use were not made like a race track and the fat tires were far more suitable to most bike riding.

Most of my life I drove pickups, and my wife had a nice Aerostar that sat high enough. I never needed a jackstand or ramps to change oil. Now suddenly my house has a bunch of cars that sit low to the ground. Can't get under them for anything without jacking them up. Wife;s minivan picks up sticks that catch underneath and drag the ground and make a sound that amplifies through the unibody platform to sound like some horrible wheel bearing or brake problem or worse. Then you have to dig the stick out only to get another one.

Either the roads are in total crap condition or cars are not made for the roads, but for the track. Too much style sells cars that are far from practical. Just give me a Model T boys, that car went most anywhere and where it would not go a come-along could pull it through! I am fed up!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You remember reaching underneath to perform oil changes?
I remember pulling up onto a set of ramps and rolling under the car while laying on a "Creeper".....but back then you could actually pull onto a set of ramps with a 10" lift and they wouldn't hit the front facia / chin spoiler before the tires even got up to the start of the ramp like it would happen for most cars in these modern times we live in.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I remember reaching under my 70 Ford custom during high school to install a beer can exhaust pipe patch! :mrgreen:

If I were king of the world, you would still be able to buy a beauty like this brand new and cheaper than all these new mobile devices called SUVs. Check out the key location on this one. Also note the turn signal lever, is dedicated to a single purpose not all this two or three functions for a stalk that when you hit the turn signal it turns on the wipers or lights. I had one of these, a '63 Chevy Biscayne, but mine was red and had column shift with a six popper under the hood--inline of course, none of this bent six stuff.
Last edited by ClutchFork on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You heard about the blonde that got hurt bad in a car wreck?

She was trying to flash her high-beams and got her leg stuck in the steering wheel!

My Chinese Cow-Orker's Hyundai had a bad exhaust leak at the flexible section of the pipe. I brought over a can of chow mein - he never knew that canned chow mein existed! After we ate the chow mein for lunch (he said it wasn't as bad as he had imagined) I took a pair of Aviator Shears and made a patch for his exhaust pipe that we affixed with 3 Aviator Clamps. I suppose if I had been wearing Aviator Sunglasses I could have called it a Hat-Trick!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Ha ha, the blonde joke one has to be old enough to remember the floor swtch that you mashed with your foot to turn on the high beam. Now that was a strange location for the high beam switch.

Well what better excuse for eating La Choy than the need to fix an exhaust pipe. That looks like the delux La Choy with two cans taped together, the smaller being the sauce. Great sales gimmick but likely no advantage but for those couples where one only likes noodles and the other only likes sauce.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 pm I remember reaching under my 70 Ford custom during high school to install a beer can exhaust pipe patch! :mrgreen:

If I were king of the world, you would still be able to buy a beauty like this brand new and cheaper than all these new mobile devices called SUVs. Check out the key location on this one. Also note the turn signal lever, is dedicated to a single purpose not all this two or three functions for a stalk that when you hit the turn signal it turns on the wipers or lights. I had one of these, a '63 Chevy Biscayne, but mine was red and had column shift with a six popper under the hood--inline of course, none of this bent six stuff.
gotta admit, that's one nice looking interior, clean as all get-up. :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:13 pm You heard about the blonde that got hurt bad in a car wreck?

She was trying to flash her high-beams and got her leg stuck in the steering wheel!

My Chinese Cow-Orker's Hyundai had a bad exhaust leak at the flexible section of the pipe. I brought over a can of chow mein - he never knew that canned chow mein existed! After we ate the chow mein for lunch (he said it wasn't as bad as he had imagined) I took a pair of Aviator Shears and made a patch for his exhaust pipe that we affixed with 3 Aviator Clamps. I suppose if I had been wearing Aviator Sunglasses I could have called it a Hat-Trick!
fur got ahl a bout that stuff. used to eat that on the regular back in the day. hope it tastes better now than it did back then. :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm When I was a kid, the era of the newsboy special bicycles with the fat tires was going out and the big fad was the french racer bikes. It seems the more fanatical the biicyclist, the skinnier the tires even to sewups that glue on the rims. I always felt that the fad was very misplaced because the paths that bikes had to use were not made like a race track and the fat tires were far more suitable to most bike riding.

Most of my life I drove pickups, and my wife had a nice Aerostar that sat high enough. I never needed a jackstand or ramps to change oil. Now suddenly my house has a bunch of cars that sit low to the ground. Can't get under them for anything without jacking them up. Wife;s minivan picks up sticks that catch underneath and drag the ground and make a sound that amplifies through the unibody platform to sound like some horrible wheel bearing or brake problem or worse. Then you have to dig the stick out only to get another one.

Either the roads are in total crap condition or cars are not made for the roads, but for the track. Too much style sells cars that are far from practical. Just give me a Model T boys, that car went most anywhere and where it would not go a come-along could pull it through! I am fed up!
eye remember the french bikes. eye remember being afraid to ride them on any real roads let alone off roads. eye would ride a mountain bike even on perfect road surfaces. as for the ride height thing, i don't think it's your imagination, and this probably has led to at least a few drivers (like me) moving on to the cliche SUV world.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:21 am
........., and this probably has led to at least a few drivers (like me) moving on to the clichy SUV world.
Fickset

Eye bleef it is spelt liek it is pronouns, "CLICHY"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

GM Partners with Rare Earth - Autoline Daily

GM announced partnerships with two companies. First is with MP Materials to develop a U.S. supply chain for rare earth magnets. Mined material from California will be sent to a new facility in Texas where it will be converted into metal, alloy and magnets. Production is scheduled to ramp up slowly starting in 2023 and the magnets will be used in electric motors for models that ride on the Ultium platform. GM’s other partnership, with German company VAC, will do the same thing; build magnets for electric motors in the U.S. that go into Ultium platform vehicles. The only difference is we don’t know where this facility will be located yet and production is expected to start in 2024.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvYXfBephk[/youtube]
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 pm [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvYXfBephk[/youtube]
That is back when bands knew how to boogie. Or that is all they knew how to do. At any rate, that song had a decidedly MOTOWN sound to it.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford Bronco misses out on IIHS top safety awards - Automotive News
IIHS cites issues with the Bronco's head restraints and headlights

The Bronco earned "good" ratings in five of IIHS' six crashworthiness tests but a lower "acceptable" rating in the head restraint test. IIHS said its crash test dummy "was subject to moderate force" in a simulated rear-end crash.

Additionally, both of the Bronco's headlight systems earned "marginal" ratings because their low beams did not illuminate the road to a far enough distance on curves, the organization said.

To qualify for a Top Safety Pick award, vehicles must have "good" ratings in all six of the institute's crashworthiness tests. Vehicles also must be available with "good" or "acceptable" headlights and have front-crash prevention that the institute considers "advanced" or "superior."

Top Safety Pick+ is awarded to models that meet those requirements and also have "good" or "acceptable" headlights across all trim levels and packages.

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... 2-readmore
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

We should submit a perfectly restored 1970s car to this test to see how it fares. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:25 pm
We should submit a perfectly restored 1970s car to this test to see how it fares. :lol:
I remember reading an SAE paper on what Ford had to do to make the Country Squire meet impact standards,,,,and they had to put some holes in the front frame rails because without them the car didn't crush enough in a frontal impact and so the driver and their passengers would have experienced too many G-forces. Think of it that the front of the car meets an immovable object and suddenly stops, but you want the passenger compartment to take its good old sweet time coming to a stop. You want the frame, the hood, the fenders, the engine, ...everything ahead of the passenger compartment, to be sacrificed to the cause so that the passenger compartment can keep coming forward and ride down the collision in as much time and distance as possible....but you don't want the steering wheel or the powertrain to come into the passenger compartment if it can be avoided. And you want the passenger compartment not to crush down - you want the distance from the front seat passengers to the instrument panel to remain the same.
Anyway, they design cars now so that the vehicle suffers more damage, but with the goal that this will help the people suffer less damage.