Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

The heavy rain must have flooded burrows and drove the critters out.

I had to dispatch a rat once and used the trap in a plastic bin with a hose, but didn't watch the show.

I have a skunk in the neighborhood (got my dog a couple months ago too) and would like to dispatch the skunk but am wary of trying to trap it. Likely would get hundreds of squirrels before a skunk anyway. Probably a 22 is better for the skunk,. Had it in close range the other night.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:47 am The heavy rain must have flooded burrows and drove the critters out.

I had to dispatch a rat once and used the trap in a plastic bin with a hose, but didn't watch the show.

I have a skunk in the neighborhood (got my dog a couple months ago too) and would like to dispatch the skunk but am wary of trying to trap it. Likely would get hundreds of squirrels before a skunk anyway. Probably a 22 is better for the skunk,. Had it in close range the other night.
The critters started arriving here before the rains came - maybe they were coming to drink from puddles when the garden was watered, or maybe the plants in the garden were their source of water. Their first crimes were unpotting flowers.

I agree - a skunk is a special challenge to outundate. In past years we've used moth balls and/or ammonia to encourage them to move along. Kind of ironic that they wouldn't tolerate hanging around a place that is stinky.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

...und hier Eye fought Wee had it bad whiff our Flies und Murdermoths...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

We continue to have animals come in our yard to raid the garden. Today, it was a Pork Sausage and a rat. Yesterday a squirrel (No.7). The day before was a squirrel, an opossum and a raccoon. No matter how many we have caught and taken to "Summer Camp", others take up the cause. It's been the talk of the neighborhood. People don't ask "How ya doin'?", they ask "What have you caught lately?" I keep some sections of newspaper in my Jeep so the campers don't poop or pee on the carpet in the back.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey Clutchfork!

I've been searching all the u-pick auto salvage yards I can find for a particular vehicle...but this particular vehicle seems to be as scarce as the teeth on a hen. Do you know of any places that I might not have checked at? (name all the U-pick yards you know of please).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Officially, this year's Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise was cancelled......but you can you stop vehicles from driving on a road?

I saw only a few spectators in lawn chairs along the route, but tonights cruisers were typical of any other Friday night before the Saturday cruise date. I'm going out tomorrow morning to rub tires with the cruisers.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

i like pizza
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

With I-75 undergoing a major reconstruction project in the area between my home and my place of employment, and many of the roads crossing under the freeway experiencing sporadic closures due to freeway overpass construction, it sometimes gets to the point that I have to check with Google Maps on how I should drive to work in the morning or how I should drive home after work.

Driving one of the alternate routes , I pass by a home with a D-Shaped driveway with seven (7!) Jeep vehicles parked there.

Maybe the most interesting part of that is there are no Wranglers, no CJs, etc. What I do see are two (2) Comanche Pick-m-Ups, a couple or so lifted Cherokees (Pre-Liberty), a couple Grand Cherokees and a 1978 Golden Eagle Cherokee, from back before unibody Cherokees existed. I've never seen the garage doors open, so I don't know what might be parked inside, but there seems to be a vehicle or two visible behind the house.

I swear that someday I'm going to pull into the driveway and get to know who lives there.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 pm With I-75 undergoing a major reconstruction project in the area between my home and my place of employment, and many of the roads crossing under the freeway experiencing sporadic closures due to freeway overpass construction, it sometimes gets to the point that I have to check with Google Maps on how I should drive to work in the morning or how I should drive home after work.
I've been working from home since March 16. Don't miss the drive at all. Have driven the S10 all of 450 miles since then. Normally I'd have put on about 3500 miles in that time. My motor oil stash is holding up quite well too.

I have a house near me with a nice clean Jeep, and a clean 90s short-bed 4WD Dodge pickup. I like those older Dodge pickups. I like any older pickup for that matter. 90s was a good era for pickups compared to the stuff they have in the 21st Century.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 pm With I-75 undergoing a major reconstruction project in the area between my home and my place of employment, and many of the roads crossing under the freeway experiencing sporadic closures due to freeway overpass construction, it sometimes gets to the point that I have to check with Google Maps on how I should drive to work in the morning or how I should drive home after work.

Driving one of the alternate routes , I pass by a home with a D-Shaped driveway with seven (7!) Jeep vehicles parked there.

Maybe the most interesting part of that is there are no Wranglers, no CJs, etc. What I do see are two (2) Comanche Pick-m-Ups, a couple or so lifted Cherokees (Pre-Liberty), a couple Grand Cherokees and a 1978 Golden Eagle Cherokee, from back before unibody Cherokees existed. I've never seen the garage doors open, so I don't know what might be parked inside, but there seems to be a vehicle or two visible behind the house.

I swear that someday I'm going to pull into the driveway and get to know who lives there.
By strange coincidence, I might be able to help you out there. I believe you're describing the David Tracy residence. He's a writer for Jalopnik and Jeep enthusiast who has had a lot of recent material about the City of Troy forcing him to either fix and register, garage, or dispose of all his broken vehicles. A true believer in the Amish faith.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

By an also strange coincidence, I think I met this guy at a Chrysler Employee Motorsports Association car show a few-couple years ago!

He had just gone to MOAB with a jeep that one (or two) might think couldn't be trusted to make it to the end of the driveway.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

IMBoring25 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:07 am By strange coincidence, I might be able to help you out there. I believe you're describing the David Tracy residence. He's a writer for Jalopnik and Jeep enthusiast who has had a lot of recent material about the City of Troy forcing him to either fix and register, garage, or dispose of all his broken vehicles. A true believer in the Amish faith.
I had the same thoughts regarding the owner.

Isn't he over in Germany right now with a diesel Caravan?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

watkins wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 pm I had the same thoughts regarding the owner.

Isn't he over in Germany right now with a diesel Caravan?
I believe so, yes.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:
potownrob wrote:this is the main misc. thread, not that it much matters these days... :D :arrow: :| :cry:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sixty Feet for $60!

Start working out now to improve your Black Friday discount.

https://usautomi.com/Home/BlackFridaySale