Electric cars now outsell manual transmission cars

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Electric cars now outsell manual transmission cars

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tampons probably outsell condoms, and, like slushboxes, they may be a necessity for a large share of the population, but I know which I would rather use.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

It's a shame but it seems like nobody is dumping money into making a good manual experience. Perhaps the BRZ/FRS, Miata and whatnot seem to be the only new cars that are fun to drive with no rev hang, a good feeling stick and clutch.

I've heard horror stories on the stock WRX tune, The Civics aren't what they used to be and many people are switching to CUVs.

It's a shame some of the manuals are reserved for either base models or their sport trim. But based on how VW seemed to approach it with the Passat...I can kind of see why.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 pm It's a shame but it seems like nobody is dumping money into making a good manual experience. Perhaps the BRZ/FRS, Miata and whatnot seem to be the only new cars that are fun to drive with no rev hang, a good feeling stick and clutch.

I've heard horror stories on the stock WRX tune, The Civics aren't what they used to be and many people are switching to CUVs.

It's a shame some of the manuals are reserved for either base models or their sport trim. But based on how VW seemed to approach it with the Passat...I can kind of see why.
Go way up in price and you can still find cars like the BMW M3 & M4 (and even the M2 for that matter) offering a manual transmission that's still good. The only problem is the looks of the soon-to-be released M4. Has anyone seen the front end of that thing? Horrendous....

https://www.caradvice.com.au/802886/202 ... 9ielrks6nv
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Are they not putting the CDV in those?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 pm It's a shame but it seems like nobody is dumping money into making a good manual experience. Perhaps the BRZ/FRS, Miata and whatnot seem to be the only new cars that are fun to drive with no rev hang, a good feeling stick and clutch.

the rev hang disease has gotten out of hand and needs to be cured. luckily, a lot of the newer manuals aren't as bad as that of the Passat (when it could be had with a manual). not only better gearing and clutches, but less rev hang on a lot of models, relatively speaking at least. you have got to drive the big blue beast sometime though. whoever chose the gearing on that thing had fun driving in mind. :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am Are they not putting the CDV in those?
eye thought that was only in the non-M models :?: :?: :? :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 am Go way up in price and you can still find cars like the BMW M3 & M4 (and even the M2 for that matter) offering a manual transmission that's still good. The only problem is the looks of the soon-to-be released M4. Has anyone seen the front end of that thing? Horrendous....

enlarged kidney disease?? :shock: :cry: :evil:
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Looks like beaver teeth to me. :lol:
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 am

Go way up in price and you can still find cars like the BMW M3 & M4 (and even the M2 for that matter) offering a manual transmission that's still good. The only problem is the looks of the soon-to-be released M4. Has anyone seen the front end of that thing? Horrendous....

Problem is, who can afford those? You need the cars that are in the 20-30k range to be good to keep the younger generation interested. If its all just 50-90k sport cars then you lost a majority of the younger generation. Then by the time they can afford those expensive cars, they won't know what a manual is.
potownrob wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:37 am the rev hang disease has gotten out of hand and needs to be cured. luckily, a lot of the newer manuals aren't as bad as that of the Passat (when it could be had with a manual). not only better gearing and clutches, but less rev hang on a lot of models, relatively speaking at least. you have got to drive the big blue beast sometime though. whoever chose the gearing on that thing had fun driving in mind. :twisted:
brz

Whats the big blue beast? The nissan?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

BK wrote:
potownrob wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:37 am the rev hang disease has gotten out of hand and needs to be cured. luckily, a lot of the newer manuals aren't as bad as that of the Passat (when it could be had with a manual). not only better gearing and clutches, but less rev hang on a lot of models, relatively speaking at least. you have got to drive the big blue beast sometime though. whoever chose the gearing on that thing had fun driving in mind. :twisted:
brz

Whats the big blue beast? The nissan?
YOU GOT A BRZ BRO?? I thought you were talking about the Passat with its bad gearing (??). Yes, you have to drive the beast. I drove it around tonight and brought it to work. Thing is ancient, but thing hauls when provoked. V6, manual, leaky exhaust, no rev hang to speak of...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Problem is, who can afford those? You need the cars that are in the 20-30k range to be good to keep the younger generation interested. If its all just 50-90k sport cars then you lost a majority of the younger generation. Then by the time they can afford those expensive cars, they won't know what a manual is.
Well, you can get a new electric car for around $30K. The Nissan Leaf is right there. Volkswagen E-Golf is another inexpensive option. Also, you can get into a new Tesla Model 3 for around $35K for the base model. Prices have been coming down on electric cars as more and more of them enter the market. As for manual tranmission cars, I don't see prices going anywhere but up. The idea of base model cars with manuals seems to be going away and only top end cars are likely to offer the option now, if at all....
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 am
bk7794 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Well, you can get a new electric car for around $30K. The Nissan Leaf is right there. Volkswagen E-Golf is another inexpensive option. Also, you can get into a new Tesla Model 3 for around $35K for the base model. Prices have been coming down on electric cars as more and more of them enter the market. As for manual tranmission cars, I don't see prices going anywhere but up. The idea of base model cars with manuals seems to be going away and only top end cars are likely to offer the option now, if at all....
this brings up a good topic for discussion for this forum. manuals used to be more common, more fuel efficient, quicker, cheaper to make, sell and buy, and more reliable (eye think they still are of course), but now are rare (practically niche?), not as fuel efficient (in general), are a hassle for companies to put into production and in some cases no longer cheaper than autos, and autos have gotten better in many ways.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 am
this brings up a good topic for discussion for this forum. manuals used to be more common, more fuel efficient, quicker, cheaper to make, sell and buy, and more reliable (eye think they still are of course), but now are rare (practically niche?), not as fuel efficient (in general), are a hassle for companies to put into production and in some cases no longer cheaper than autos, and autos have gotten better in many ways.
Sure, that has been discussed a few times already. I remember bringing that up when I first joined this form several years ago. And those are the very reasons why manual transmission cars are dying a slow death. I think electrification of cars is just the final nail in the coffin, but the real issues are the ones you mentioned already. I remember back in the day when I wanted to buy my first "fast" car as a young kid, I knew I was getting a 5.0 Mustang. And there was no question that the car had to be manual transmission, simply because there was no good reason to buy it any other way. The manual was faster, less expensive, and could return better gas mileage compared to the same car with an AOD transmission. So what advantage was there to buying the automatic version of the car? I think lots of guys had the same thought process and that's why the manual transmission was such a popular choice. On many new cars, those advantages are mostly gone. But if I were buying a new 5.0 Mustang today, it would still have to be a manual transmission. Even if the automatic is faster and can return a little better fuel economy, I just don't find it as much fun to drive.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »