If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Post by ClutchFork »

I want to know what they do with electric vehicles in the north country. How do they heat the interior on a minus zero day? Bet running a heater reduces the range from 80 or 90 miles to about as far as the nearest grocery store at best.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:43 pm I want to know what they do with electric vehicles in the north country. How do they heat the interior on a minus zero day? Bet running a heater reduces the range from 80 or 90 miles to about as far as the nearest grocery store at best.
i don't think it's that bad, but the energy losses are significant. there are some alternatives to the conventional heating solutions though...(see below article)...

WARNING: anti-ICE rhetoric involved (don't forget to read the comments)...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ting-video
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:21 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:43 pm I want to know what they do with electric vehicles in the north country. How do they heat the interior on a minus zero day? Bet running a heater reduces the range from 80 or 90 miles to about as far as the nearest grocery store at best.
i don't think it's that bad, but the energy losses are significant. there are some alternatives to the conventional heating solutions though...(see below article)...

WARNING: anti-ICE rhetoric involved (don't forget to read the comments)...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ting-video
You can't wash something without getting something else dirty.

Diesel-powered vehicles have had this issue for quite some time. Their efficiency leads to low coolant temperatures, especially in stop-n-go traffic, so defrosting and cabin air heating is difficult to do. Way back when, my cow-orker (Don't worry, the cows don't mind being "Orked") drove a 1980-ish VW Rabbit diesel. He said that heat was adequate when he was running at 45 mph or more, but windows would frost when he got closer to work and traffic slowed to a crawl.

PT Cruiser Diesel had 3 electrical resistance heaters in the coolant line going to the heater core. Minivan diesel had an auxilliary diesel-fueled burner to heat the coolant. I will tell you that riding during the morning rush-hour of Thompson Manitoba, at -25F, sitting in the third-row seat, my toes were kept from freezing by that extra heater, but they were warmer yet in a similar van with a gasoline fueled engine and no extra heater.

One, or two, could say that gasoline-fueled engine efficiencies increase inversely with the ambient air temperature decrease.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Then there were the old air cooled engine VW Beetles. I don't know, did they blow a fan across the engine and duct that into the passenger compartment, oil smell and all?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 am Then there were the old air cooled engine VW Beetles. I don't know, did they blow a fan across the engine and duct that into the passenger compartment, oil smell and all?
according to the comments in the article I linked above, at least some of them had a separate gas heater. My dad told me that his just had a vent up front that piped exhaust heat into the cabin. Between that and his VW Thing (and probably to a lesser extent his Rabbit Diesels), he had some rough winters up in here.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 am Then there were the old air cooled engine VW Beetles. I don't know, did they blow a fan across the engine and duct that into the passenger compartment, oil smell and all?
Air-cooled VW had a metal chamber around the exhaust manifold and air from the engine cooling could be ducted through these chambers and forward to the passenger compartment. The airflow was kinda weak by the time it got up to the windshield. In these modern times we live in, prolly wooden be heart to add some booster fans to urge more airflow.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:00 pm
Air-cooled VW had a metal chamber around the exhaust manifold and air from the engine cooling could be ducted through these chambers and forward to the passenger compartment. The airflow was kinda weak by the time it got up to the windshield. In these modern times we live in, prolly wooden be heart to add some booster fans to urge more airflow.
might explain why dad moved down south...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:00 pm
might explain why dad moved down south...
Yanno, heaters and defrosters din usta be considered standard equipment. https://itstillruns.com/history-car-hea ... 21362.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...And I thought for sure they would call it the "Golf Kart"

VW reveals name, pricing of ID electric hatchback
" It will be called the ID3"
"We are not playing," VW sales chief Juergen Stackmann said at an event in Berlin on Wednesday launching the reservation program. "This is the car to beat for the future, for all our competitors."

https://europe.autonews.com/frankfurt-a ... -hatchback

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mq4UT4VnbE[/youtube]

Seams tummy they're will be sum confession with that name.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 am ...And I thought for sure they would call it the "Golf Kart"

VW reveals name, pricing of ID electric hatchback
" It will be called the ID3"
"We are not playing," VW sales chief Juergen Stackmann said at an event in Berlin on Wednesday launching the reservation program. "This is the car to beat for the future, for all our competitors."

https://europe.autonews.com/frankfurt-a ... -hatchback

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mq4UT4VnbE[/youtube]

Seams tummy they're will be sum confession with that name.
ugh. looks like a 2nd gen honda fit married an old versa. :oops:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hon-Dae?
Honda decides on name for its new European EV
"Honda will call its new small electric car the Honda E when it goes on sale in Europe next year."
https://europe.autonews.com/frankfurt-a ... 1-readmore
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your car sounds just like George Jetson's car,.....

Electric cars: New vehicles to emit noise to aid safety

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48815968
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your SAAB 9-3 Needs Some Artificial Noise,......

NEVS, with Saab 9-3 platform, launches EV output at Tianjin plant

"A full-electric sedan based on the old Saab 9-3 platform rolled off the production line at Chinese-backed electric vehicle maker National Electric Vehicle Sweden’s plant in the north China port city of Tianjin on Saturday."

http://www.autonewschina.com/en/article.asp?id=19074
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If "Blowin' Your Doors Off" means something other than soundly besting a rival vehicle in a stop-light drag race,.....you just might be drivin' an Electric.

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... ed-kona-ev

"Piero Cosentino told the CBC he initially saw smoke coming from his garage, moments before an explosion rocked his home, blowing the garage door off its track and clear across the street. "
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you and your fellow EV owners filed a lawsuit against the electric vehicle maker, claiming the company limited the battery range of older vehicles via a software update to avoid a costly recall to fix what plaintiffs allege are defective batteries, you just might be drivin' an Electric.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-sup ... are-update