Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 am
seems like a car better suited for up here in the snowy country, though it would be better for off-road driving than a lower car (or FWD if she has AWD). how's that ancient infotainment system? i believe that had the earliest version of the safety package, so not surprised it doesn't work well. would buy for better AWD system (locking diff at low speeds) and reliability. would prefer hybrid other than weirder AWD system. 2016 refresh nice though. lack of depreciation will probably keep me from getting one though. :cry:
If you're interested in AWD and minimal offroad capability, the 2016 Forester I had was a much better car than her RAV4. Hers is FWD, but even in AWD guise, the Forester is just more capable. Subaru's infotainement wasn't that great back then (no CarPlay or AA either), but it was better than hers - more responsive, larger screen and better factory integration with BT music streaming.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 amWasn't there an old Aesop's Fable about a collision warning system that cried "Pedestrian" too often as a prank and then later, when there really was a pedestrian walking out from between two cars parked along the curb,.....
Boy Who Cried Wolf is an incredibly important and severely underrated social engineering issue in many contexts.

In social networking, some people forward every ridiculous piece of crap that they see. Security warnings, scams that victimize sick kids by appropriating their embarrassing photo for some unrelated garbage, years-old "missing kid" posts about kids that were found the next day, etc. The gullible ones think they're helping, and the rest tune them out categorically - so the real ones get ignored.
I wish there was a way I could explain it to the short-attention-span gullible ones and have them spend 30 seconds checking before forwarding.

In IT security, one example is the prevalence of phishing scam emails that pretend to be a notification about your account (whether your bank account, email account, amazon, etc); we want users to be vigilant when they receive such things, yet so many companies send legitimate stuff that looks just like common phishing scams...either users are going to spamcan your legitimate email (and get you blocked through RBLs and Bayesian systems) or they're going to fall for phishing scams because they're comfortable clicking a link in email and then entering their password. I'm very careful about how I notify my users.

Almost exactly the same issue exists for common phone scams. When your bank calls you they can't reasonably expect you to just trust them and give them personally identifiable information ("PII") to authenticate yourself without first authenticating themselves, but they have to because they can't reasonably authenticate themselves that way either. I can't think of a decent way to solve this problem either. You can use a pair of changeable, meaningless PINs/passphrases/etc, but that's not realistic for most users.
Did I ever tell you about the time there was a knock at our hotel room door and the person on the other side said "This is the manager. Who is in this room?"
I told him to "go ask the hotel manager. He should be able to tell you who's in any given room".

Thing was, whatever his title was, he really was a hotel staff person, with someone from security right at his side. The room we were in was sometimes used to extend the room next door into a suite, but it was assigned to us when we checked in. The people in the room next to us thought they had the entire suite and when the passage doors were locked from our side and they heard noises and voices from our side of the wall they got spooked and called the front desk.

I answered the phone and talked to the doofus outside our door, but didn't give him my name. I let him know to check the records because we were hotel guests registered to the room. Later. we were called back and apologized to, the situation was explained, but no comps were offered for the inconvenience.

So the internet and the phone system are not the only places to be careful with your personal information.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

So I have decided to take the leap.

The GF and I are looking at moving to Denver. To accomplish this, I am currently working with industry professionals on locating a new position for me there, to ensure not only positive financial gains but also to ensure that the opportunity out there matches my goals and aspirations precisely.

There is a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm getting pretty excited and a little nervous, to be honest. But, after I have spent a few weeks in CO, I have realized that I cannot imagine myself living anywhere without being near nature and mountains the way CO (and PNW) offers it.

I feel that great things are up ahead.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm
seems like a car better suited for up here in the snowy country, though it would be better for off-road driving than a lower car (or FWD if she has AWD). how's that ancient infotainment system? i believe that had the earliest version of the safety package, so not surprised it doesn't work well. would buy for better AWD system (locking diff at low speeds) and reliability. would prefer hybrid other than weirder AWD system. 2016 refresh nice though. lack of depreciation will probably keep me from getting one though. :cry:
If you're interested in AWD and minimal offroad capability, the 2016 Forester I had was a much better car than her RAV4. Hers is FWD, but even in AWD guise, the Forester is just more capable. Subaru's infotainement wasn't that great back then (no CarPlay or AA either), but it was better than hers - more responsive, larger screen and better factory integration with BT music streaming.
please don't use the f word with me. i don't think i could get a more than slightly used subaru without fears of it having issues down the line. i'm willing to forego a little awd prowess for dependability and other things subaru doesn't or didn't provide in the past. i kind of like the new foresters, but the reviews i've read say they are too slow. the rav4 has more power and a conventional auto (in the non-hybrid). it also looks like a stormtrooper in white (not a star wars freak but it does look cool).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:12 pm So I have decided to take the leap.

The GF and I are looking at moving to Denver. To accomplish this, I am currently working with industry professionals on locating a new position for me there, to ensure not only positive financial gains but also to ensure that the opportunity out there matches my goals and aspirations precisely.

There is a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm getting pretty excited and a little nervous, to be honest. But, after I have spent a few weeks in CO, I have realized that I cannot imagine myself living anywhere without being near nature and mountains the way CO (and PNW) offers it.

I feel that great things are up ahead.
congrats and good luck. glad you are able to make this kind of move. always wondered how you made it so long in texas without the mountains etc. at least you had good experiences there and can say you already lived there (for those who don't understand how someone could prefer to live in a colder climate). watch out for the weedcicles and airport gremlins.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, how 'bout tem tam gas prices? I haven't paid less than $2 per gallon since November of 2016
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm
how could you do this to me?? how could you make me think about her again??? maybe it was meant to be... :shock: :? :evil: HOW DARE YOU SIR TONY!!!! :x :!: :cry:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:32 pm Hey, how 'bout tem tam gas prices? I haven't paid less than $2 per gallon since November of 2016
all tank 'em!! :mrgreen:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:25 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:32 pm Hey, how 'bout tem tam gas prices? I haven't paid less than $2 per gallon since November of 2016
Almost makes me want to go buy a big, Amish man's truck, one with a lot of horsepressure.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:20 pm
Almost makes me want to go buy a big, Amish man's truck, one with a lot of horsepressure.
SHORE LUCKS LIKE A LADA DONKEY PRESSURE TOO ME!!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

They's Mules, Not Donkeys. Well, at least the front 18 or 20 of them. The two closest to the wagon are Horses.

Mules have more power but less speed than horses....kinda like turbo-charged rather than VTEC.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

But Wait! ....ACT NOW, AND WE'LL SELL YOU GAS FOR $1.749 PER US GALLON AND REFUND YOU 4% AT A LATER DATE ...

Price of gas at Costco was down again this morning - lowest I've paid since February 2016.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

TODAY IS OIL-CHANGE ON THE DRIVEWAY DAY!
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

SO.

it turns out if you forget to come back...or forget your password....they just give up on your account.

i tried to get my account back....it said to send a message to the board admin. there apparently are no board admin/page is disabled until you log in.

And the email address is tied to the account...so you try to set up a new one and you cannot.

:shrug:
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:20 pm
i was just in amish country. the real one. in indiana.