Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:My dad came over to start the festivities because I was delayed on my way home so I don't have an accurate count but I think there were the usual slightly-over-100 customers. My excess victuals supply was small enough to be making me nervous at the end of the night and easily consumed by myself the following day.
If I had known we were doing to have so many treats left over for me to eat, I would have been giving out something better! Maybe those big ol' giant Payday bars - I'm nuts about 'em.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Hey all- I come seeking some advice and takes. Remember how I went in for the promotional interview that I spoke about over a month ago? I didn't get that- but it was announced the reason why I didn't get it was because they wanted me to wait out for a new team (originally centralized in an out of state location) and hand picked me along with someone else to be in charge of the "re-start". They only gave me about 5 days notice which was pretty crazy and I am starting technically on Monday... Not much changes though for me physically, I'm in a different section on the same floor with new people but still seems like a really promising opportunity.

The thing that I'm nervous about is I was in a "bought PTO" day policy at the beginning of last year which forces me to have to use all my PTO days by EOY or I literally lose money. Because I was on a ridiculous project from May to September I literally didn't take too much time off and now I have to take 11 days OOO by EOY. I feel like this makes me look terrible to the new team... but I don't want to lose money also (I bought 5 days for 2017).

To make matters even worse I am the best man in a wedding and had planned a bachelor party in the middle of January that they do not know about where I would need to take 2 days off as well. I really would tell management here that these 2 days in January would be IT for me until closer to summer... but I still don't know if it's going to go over well. Especially since I am brand new, no one knows my reputation, and I don't have built relationships yet. I really feel nervous about this entire situation and that it's going to end up hurting me really bad. I'm really not sure what I am going to do.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:Hey all- I come seeking some advice and takes. Remember how I went in for the promotional interview that I spoke about over a month ago? I didn't get that- but it was announced the reason why I didn't get it was because they wanted me to wait out for a new team (originally centralized in an out of state location) and hand picked me along with someone else to be in charge of the "re-start". They only gave me about 5 days notice which was pretty crazy and I am starting technically on Monday... Not much changes though for me physically, I'm in a different section on the same floor with new people but still seems like a really promising opportunity.

The thing that I'm nervous about is I was in a "bought PTO" day policy at the beginning of last year which forces me to have to use all my PTO days by EOY or I literally lose money. Because I was on a ridiculous project from May to September I literally didn't take too much time off and now I have to take 11 days OOO by EOY. I feel like this makes me look terrible to the new team... but I don't want to lose money also (I bought 5 days for 2017).

To make matters even worse I am the best man in a wedding and had planned a bachelor party in the middle of January that they do not know about where I would need to take 2 days off as well. I really would tell management here that these 2 days in January would be IT for me until closer to summer... but I still don't know if it's going to go over well. Especially since I am brand new, no one knows my reputation, and I don't have built relationships yet. I really feel nervous about this entire situation and that it's going to end up hurting me really bad. I'm really not sure what I am going to do.
Is there any chance that if you explained it to them as you explained it to us, that they could find a way to unofficially give you some comp time next year to make up for the PTO you now seem to not be free to take? It could be as simple as a gentlemens agreement to look the other way when you take some undocumented days off at a more opportune time later next year. If they are resistant to to that, maybe you could remark that if they had been more open with their plans for you, you could have found a way to take your days off before this new assignment came upon you. It was the short notice that is at least partially responsible for leaving you in this situation, right?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

So, the downtown Plano apartment did not work out. After being set on moving in there for a year, I moved in and on the first night I realized that there's no way I'd be happy living there.

Long story short, I ended up moving twice in a 3 week period all while going through the busiest annual times at work. So, needless to say it's been rather hectic for the last 1.5 months.

All said and done, I'm very happy with the place I'm at now. It's larger, better in almost every way and things are settled with the living situation.

Now, hopefully work will slow down in the next 2-3 weeks and then things will be back normal. I've not ridden my MTB in over a month simply because of super long work hours and then being wiped the rest of the time.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Is there any chance that if you explained it to them as you explained it to us, that they could find a way to unofficially give you some comp time next year to make up for the PTO you now seem to not be free to take? It could be as simple as a gentlemens agreement to look the other way when you take some undocumented days off at a more opportune time later next year. If they are resistant to to that, maybe you could remark that if they had been more open with their plans for you, you could have found a way to take your days off before this new assignment came upon you. It was the short notice that is at least partially responsible for leaving you in this situation, right?
This is actually a play I'm thinking about doing. It probably sounds ridiculous that I'm complaining about having too much PTO left but the real issue was I was on a project that required my presence for just about a full 90 days and I bought 5 days at the beginning of the year. Now I've only been with this company for about 1 year and 7 months so at the beginning of the year I didn't really know how the bought days work - basically they take a bit out of your pay check once a month and you're forced to use all days with no potential to carry over. I think I have enough "sway" that if it can be done, they would allow me to carry over 5 days into next year which would be a win/win I truly believe.

I literally have 11.5 days I have to use in less then 2 months... that basically means after next week I won't have a full week for the rest of the year... Even at my old position they were understanding of the circumstances but having to hit the ground running now in a whole different animal is stressing me out even more.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That was the situation I was in a few years back when they lowered our leave cap. I didn't work a five-day week for months trying to burn it all with minimal impact.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

IMBoring25 wrote:That was the situation I was in a few years back when they lowered our leave cap. I didn't work a five-day week for months trying to burn it all with minimal impact.
There's no doubt in my mind that I did this company a favor to meet a hard deadline which humbly, probably wouldn't of happened if I did burn even 3-4 days in this 90 day period. Unfortunately while I pursued some other "promotions" this one kind of swerved me and I'm a bit fearful of how my reputation/impression is going to be built by basically being not present at crucial times.

On the flip side of the days, I'm also a bit burnt out and would like to take some of these days care free...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Teamwork wrote:Hey all- I come seeking some advice and takes. Remember how I went in for the promotional interview that I spoke about over a month ago? I didn't get that- but it was announced the reason why I didn't get it was because they wanted me to wait out for a new team (originally centralized in an out of state location) and hand picked me along with someone else to be in charge of the "re-start". They only gave me about 5 days notice which was pretty crazy and I am starting technically on Monday... Not much changes though for me physically, I'm in a different section on the same floor with new people but still seems like a really promising opportunity.

Is there any chance that if you explained it to them as you explained it to us, that they could find a way to unofficially give you some comp time next year to make up for the PTO you now seem to not be free to take? It could be as simple as a gentlemens agreement to look the other way when you take some undocumented days off at a more opportune time later next year. If they are resistant to to that, maybe you could remark that if they had been more open with their plans for you, you could have found a way to take your days off before this new assignment came upon you. It was the short notice that is at least partially responsible for leaving you in this situation, right?
+1 Couldn't've come up with a better idea than Rope did if eye had a brain. I too would be furious they put you in this situation. I'd expect them to either let you take your time off before you start your new assignment, or later on. Not your fault they didn't give you enough notice to get things done. This isn't survivor or hells kitchen, so not sure what they're thinking. Makes me wonder what this company is like to work for, what management is like etc.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
i remember reading (and dealing with) something about the samsungs not getting timely updates, at least in the past. not sure if that's still the problem. i remember liking the interface on my S3, but it was not quick, got slower and the battery life was not good.
I've gone through many generations with the galaxy S's and even had the original. In terms of the updates in the past I did feel this way but I wasn't sure if it was attributed to the carrier or the phone maker. I actually switched to Verizon after being grandfathered into a lot of great things with AT&T... I didn't have any issues with AT&T really but was getting a great conquest deal to switch so I did. The service on Long Island/NYC def seems stronger all around with Verizon. Never had any serious issues with my Galaxy S's over the years minus my 7+ mishaps. I did drop it yes, but I guess it hit just the right angle to brick the phone because it wasn't very far of a drop. I had enough faith to continue though an S8 and I enjoy this phone as well.
eye thought at&t was good down there, but maybe it was just compared to up here (where it's sketchy in many parts...other than where i work - and my verizon is not as good at work, but better almost everywhere else). if I've learned anything (by accident perhaps), it's that a smartphone, or almost any smartphone, is meant to be encased. whether it's a battery case (how most of my first few smartphones ended up encased), or a real case, they do better in a case. without cases, i would've had to fix or replace multiple smartphones by now. i've had my iphone 8 for what, a month, now, and already dropped it at least 3 times. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:i've had my iphone 8 for what, a month, now, and already dropped it at least 3 times. 8)
You need to get the "Sky Hook" app - a little parachute is 3-D printed in the nanosecond that the phone senses it's in free-fall and the deployed parachute slows the rate of decent to something that's surviveable.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:+1 Couldn't've come up with a better idea than Rope did if eye had a brain. I too would be furious they put you in this situation. I'd expect them to either let you take your time off before you start your new assignment, or later on. Not your fault they didn't give you enough notice to get things done. This isn't survivor or hells kitchen, so not sure what they're thinking. Makes me wonder what this company is like to work for, what management is like etc.
I don't really think this falls solely on management as they had to make a tough decision and do it fairly abrupt given the circumstances. Could it have been done with some more time off in between- probably but at the same time this is a very odd timing sequence for any company... With all of it being said there are some pretty valid circumstances which created this situation, I wouldn't deflect full blame but I just hope that I will be protected in the end.
eye thought at&t was good down there, but maybe it was just compared to up here (where it's sketchy in many parts...other than where i work - and my verizon is not as good at work, but better almost everywhere else). if I've learned anything (by accident perhaps), it's that a smartphone, or almost any smartphone, is meant to be encased. whether it's a battery case (how most of my first few smartphones ended up encased), or a real case, they do better in a case. without cases, i would've had to fix or replace multiple smartphones by now. i've had my iphone 8 for what, a month, now, and already dropped it at least 3 times. 8)
I really didn't have problems with ATT/Cingular (yes, that's how long I've been with them). My old day complaints was perhaps some of the updates through ATT were slow by them (not sure again if that was Carrier or maker discretion) and the line up of phones seemed some what crippled versus the other big carriers. The only reason I really switched was through a conquest deal and I didn't need/have unlimited data before hand. No qualms with Verizon now either... and if anything the service is better on the Island/City.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

CHEVY’S ZR1 IS A MONSTER - From Autoline daily

In a time when fuel economy is one of the most important things for an automaker to focus on, it’s amazing to see so many high-performance beasts being introduced. And Chevy just took the wraps off the newest ZR1 Corvette with 755-horsepower. The car’s LT5 engine makes that much power thanks to a supercharger that has 52% more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. It’s also the first GM vehicle to use both direct and port fuel injection. To achieve its top speed of 210 MPH and not overheat, the ZR1 comes with all-new front fascia that is designed to channel more air into an additional 4 heat exchangers, a new carbon fiber hood to clear the supercharger, a front underwing as well as two aero packages, which can produce up 60% more downforce than a Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. No word on pricing just yet, but the 2019 ZR1 goes on sale next spring.
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/ ... vette.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow...May dit there anne back from hoam too Milwaukee 6 owers eech weigh.

Yeth, I had a double-scoop cone at Leon's famous frozen custard. All such places that I know of are closed for the season here in Michigan, but Leon's is open all year round.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

GM to use carbon fibre in redesigned pickup beds
Well, you won't be able to weld-up the cracks when the guys from Ford drop some cinder blocks or a tool box into the Silverado's bed while making a comparative commercial

http://canada.autonews.com/article/2017 ... ews-weekly
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen for Carbon Fibre in a pick up bed though that's definitely not my car class of specialties. Looks like they clearly want to one up Ford's aluminum trend but I never really understand if weight reduction in the pick up bed was the way to go about this? Don't trucks typically have traction issues in the rear in anything but perfect road conditions and dis-proportioned spring dampening to support a payload for the rear? Also, how much is this going to cost to repair in an event of an accident?

Has been pretty quiet here- I've been very busy with work but continue to check in. My car has just passed 32k and I just had my 30k service (late as usual). I ended up getting "no season" tires again because my living situation is probably going to change pretty soon and I didn't want to risk the unpredictability just yet. I went with BF Goodrich GComp and honestly the tires are a night and day difference then the Bridgestone crap that came with the car. They howl a bit over 65 mph though but I'm hoping that subsides with some miles/time- everything else is very good about them.

I know I've talked about this somewhere, at sometime on these forums but as winter is around the corner my cars been weird with 3rd gear in an under 40 F environment. It seems pretty random to me though the common trend seems to happen at a higher rate when the car is just started but it'll take a "wiggle" to get through a notchy 3rd gate but then I'll restart and get in smooth as butter. I can't think of any reason behind this and usually just more effort is required but again seems to be a common nature of this transmission in the winter... I was wondering if there is anything that could really be the perpetrator here or worth trying to try and get rid of this/minimize. It's literally only 3rd too whether I'm downshifting from 4th or up shifting from 2nd.