RomPirate's new-new-new-new car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

RomPirate's new-new-new-new car

Post by RomPirate »

Well, new to me at least.

I've been looking at getting another car for some time now. Took a look at the Fiesta ST, the FR-S and some E46's. I'm a shade tree mechanic that happens to like tools a lot too, and my other cars have been so darn reliable I haven't had a good wrenching in some time. It only makes sense that I buy one of the least reliable- I mean highest maintenance cars in modern times.

She doesn't run at the moment. Aside from the bumper damage the rest of the car is complete. But dirty. Very dirty.

97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: RomPirate's new-new-new-new car

Post by tankinbeans »

Noice. Another Mazda in the fold. I've always been intrigued by the RX-8 but don't know that I would do it justice.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

RomPirate wrote:Well, new to me at least.

I've been looking at getting another car for some time now. Took a look at the Fiesta ST, the FR-S and some E46's. I'm a shade tree mechanic that happens to like tools a lot too, and my other cars have been so darn reliable I haven't had a good wrenching in some time. It only makes sense that I buy one of the least reliable- I mean highest maintenance cars in modern times.

She doesn't run at the moment. Aside from the bumper damage the rest of the car is complete. But dirty. Very dirty.
]
Ah yes, I did the same thing. I haven't touched a thing since I bought it though.

Looks like a fun project. Do you have a garage?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
RomPirate wrote:Well, new to me at least.

]
Ah yes, I did the same thing. I haven't touched a thing since I bought it though.

Looks like a fun project. Do you have a garage?
yo, how's dat s60 treating you?? up for a meat up soon?? :) :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

I have a 1 car garage (miata lives in it) for three cars + wife's. The Rx8 is on jackstands off to the side.

So I purchased a rotary compression tester (rotarycompressiontester.com) compression is poor! Cold: 66 PSI @ 226 RPM == ~73 PSI @ 250. Compression can only be lower when engine is up to operating temperature. Haven't even tried to start it due to a leaky fuel pump. Dropping in a new pump this weekend and will try to start it. My expectations are low :cry:
07 VW Rabbit
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RomPirate wrote:I have a 1 car garage (miata lives in it) for three cars + wife's. The Rx8 is on jackstands off to the side.

So I purchased a rotary compression tester (rotarycompressiontester.com) compression is poor! Cold: 66 PSI @ 226 RPM == ~73 PSI @ 250. Compression can only be lower when engine is up to operating temperature. Haven't even tried to start it due to a leaky fuel pump. Dropping in a new pump this weekend and will try to start it. My expectations are low :cry:
You need to talk with our resident rotarian: Nube-5Zillion. F N he don't know it, nobody does.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

It's been a while.

Long story short, i've replaced the engine with a Mazda re-manufactured unit. Word on the street is that these units are actually 95% brand new. It shows.
Image The only thing that looks used is the engine hangar. New flywheel, water pump etc... nice.

Pulling the old engine was pretty easy. Here is a shot I have of the old lump.
The engine is quite small. Displacement is 1.3L. HP is about 220-238-250 depending on what mazda felt was appropriate at the time. Redline is 9000 RPM :shock: Fuel economy is "around 20mpg". Thing runs on gasoline and oil. Really. Fun fact: Gearing between the rotor ("piston") and eccentric shaft ("crankshaft") is such that the shaft rotates 3x for every rotor rotation. @9k RPM, the rotor is only rotating 3k RPM. Every revolution of the rotor has 3 power strokes.

Up-up and away! After years of automotive tinkering, one collects lots of tools. The heaviest of tools is an engine hoist which has helped replace transmissions, remove engines and replace engines (here).

So much space for a V8... I considered a V8 swap but my fabrication skills wouldn't be sufficient. If they made a bolt in kit, i'd do it.

Here is the old engine resting. Story goes that the engine had been replaced at least once, probably with a junkyard engine as crappy dealerships do for warranty.

Inside scoop of said garage. Packed to the gills. Miata for reference. Humble toolbox with lots of tools.

Here are both of the engines lined up, ready for transplant. Protip: Put phone in a ziplock bag to keep it clean. Makes for fuzzy images.

Few hours later...

Closeup shot. Clean as you go....
ooooo

lets go!
07 VW Rabbit
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

Unfortunately no images of the install. Install is the reverse of removal. Except 100x more difficult cause everything has to line up.

Also, the waterpump gasket is phallic in nature.
07 VW Rabbit
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

But what if you move it away from nature and into the concrete jungle?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

RomPirate wrote:Also, the waterpump gasket is phallic in nature.
Looks like something the Navy would draw in the sky with an airplane. :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

RomPirate wrote: So much space for a V8... I considered a V8 swap but my fabrication skills wouldn't be sufficient. If they made a bolt in kit, i'd do it.
Drats!! Eye was hoping for a 2.5 litre swap!! :o :? :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

a 2.0 liter skyactiv swap :wink:
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:a 2.0 liter skyactiv TURBO swap :wink:
thickset