Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Wow, that really wasn't "Our Finest Moment".
Haha, only name I recognized really was watkins but I couldn't even believe how confrontational it got. This was on a "recommended threads" for some reason for my log in lol- randomly.
i believe that was a period in time when i wasn't very active on the SS. that may have had something to do with why (can't remember why). i just remember going to the '08 SS MEAT and Tony and Watkins making note that I hadn't been too active lately.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

That was a peaceful Roman thread, actually.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Drove back from Milwaukee WI via Joliet IL and had 410 smiles on one tank of gas in the PT Cruiser and the fuel gage needle was still just above the empty mark. I credit it to extremely smooth traffic on Sunday.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Drove back from Milwaukee WI via Joliet IL and had 410 smiles on one tank of gas in the PT Cruiser and the fuel gage needle was still just above the empty mark. I credit it to extremely smooth traffic on Sunday.
Curious, how big is the tank in the PT? I just spent 320 miles on the road in a 2017 Mazda6. The gauge was one tick past half. When I filled it my mileage was 39.8 can be credited to driving mostly through hillbilly podunk wide spots with speeds ranging from 35-60 mph.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Drove back from Milwaukee WI via Joliet IL and had 410 smiles on one tank of gas in the PT Cruiser and the fuel gage needle was still just above the empty mark. I credit it to extremely smooth traffic on Sunday.
Curious, how big is the tank in the PT? I just spent 320 miles on the road in a 2017 Mazda6. The gauge was one tick past half. When I filled it my mileage was 39.8 can be credited to driving mostly through hillbilly podunk wide spots with speeds ranging from 35-60 mph.
The owners manual says the tank is ~ 15 gallons capacity. I put in 15.5 when I refueled it. That was something like 26.5 mpg. The PT is not an aerodynamic vehicle - it's shape was optimized toward unique looks -and it spins about 3,000 rpm at 80 mph. Remember, it was classified as a truck for CAFE, so whatever fuel smileage it got was going to pull up the truck fleet average and allow them to sell more Ram pick-m-ups with hemi engines. They really never inteded the PT cruiser to slug it out with small sedans for fuel economy bragging rights.

I still think it is neat that it can come home the long way from Milwaukee on one tank of fuel.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
The owners manual says the tank is ~ 15 gallons capacity. I put in 15.5 when I refueled it. That was something like 26.5 mpg. The PT is not an aerodynamic vehicle - it's shape was optimized toward unique looks -and it spins about 3,000 rpm at 80 mph. Remember, it was classified as a truck for CAFE, so whatever fuel smileage it got was going to pull up the truck fleet average and allow them to sell more Ram pick-m-ups with hemi engines. They really never inteded the PT cruiser to slug it out with small sedans for fuel economy bragging rights.

I still think it is neat that it can come home the long way from Milwaukee on one tank of fuel.
I would gladly take this over the norm though which is the sad part. I don't know what happened to me but I just dislike filling up more often with a smaller tank and still achieving over 30 mpg...My range in my GTI is essentially between 280 (a ton of stop and go) to 330 miles. I pretty much have to fill up every 5 days with my routine here as is which isn't horrible but if I literally drove a car with a 15+ gallon fuel tank and not horrendous mileage I could probably go over 1.5 weeks without filling I think.

I remember back in the day I used to see advertisements for TDI Passat which basically said a possibility of 650+ mile range. If I literally had that I could go probably 3 weeks without seeing a gas station lol.

In other news I'm going back to a VW MK7 get together Saturday morning. I had a decent time at the last one a few months back- it was low key but between a tight knit group of guys. I'm waiting to 30k (in less then 4k) for finally replacing the stock tires. I promised I would ride them out even though they were pretty terrible but now I'm ready to upgrade.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: I'm waiting to 30k (in less then 4k) for finally replacing the stock tires. I promised I would ride them out even though they were pretty terrible but now I'm ready to upgrade.
Sew, whatcha thinkin' about with respect to the tires? Do you need/want something spatial for winter, or can you go for 1 set of rubber year-round?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote: Curious, how big is the tank in the PT? I just spent 320 miles on the road in a 2017 Mazda6. The gauge was one tick past half. When I filled it my mileage was 39.8 can be credited to driving mostly through hillbilly podunk wide spots with speeds ranging from 35-60 mph.

I would gladly take this over the norm though which is the sad part. I don't know what happened to me but I just dislike filling up more often with a smaller tank and still achieving over 30 mpg...My range in my GTI is essentially between 280 (a ton of stop and go) to 330 miles. I pretty much have to fill up every 5 days with my routine here as is which isn't horrible but if I literally drove a car with a 15+ gallon fuel tank and not horrendous mileage I could probably go over 1.5 weeks without filling I think.

I remember back in the day I used to see advertisements for TDI Passat which basically said a possibility of 650+ mile range. If I literally had that I could go probably 3 weeks without seeing a gas station lol.

In other news I'm going back to a VW MK7 get together Saturday morning. I had a decent time at the last one a few months back- it was low key but between a tight knit group of guys. I'm waiting to 30k (in less then 4k) for finally replacing the stock tires. I promised I would ride them out even though they were pretty terrible but now I'm ready to upgrade.
yeah, the small tank is annoying. i've been averaging 30-35 mpg lately (roadtrips, warm weather, small turbo, etc.) but still don't like filling up every week. monster tank in accord i could sometimes go 2 weeks between fill-ups. of course, with the hurricanes and holidays, i tend to fill up more often, to avoid getting stuck in a gas line or paying a lot for gas. best you change out them there tires before the winter there teamworker. :shock:

p.s. in case you guys somehow missed it from his recent posts, tank got a new car.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ida no if I said this before, but the size of the fuel tank is dictated by a minimum driving range (FORE!) target, by packaging space, by ground clearance, and sometimes by vehicle weight class (for EPA testing). When a vehicle design gets close to moving one weight class (up or down), there is likely to be some unusual compromises made in order to ensure a favorable outcome (avoid going up or allow it to drop a class). Something like an aluminum body closure panel might be included on one version of a vehicle, but not on another, depending on which one could benefit from the weight savings and which one would not. Similarly, fuel tank capacity can be used to fine-tune the vehicle weight.
The same thing goes for meeting emissions regulations - you get no bonus points for exceeding standards, so they might decide whether to include EGR or not depending on what the prices are running for platinum, palladium, and rhodium (exhaust catalyst materials) vs the cost of EGR hardware.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Teamwork wrote: I'm waiting to 30k (in less then 4k) for finally replacing the stock tires. I promised I would ride them out even though they were pretty terrible but now I'm ready to upgrade.
Sew, whatcha thinkin' about with respect to the tires? Do you need/want something spatial for winter, or can you go for 1 set of rubber year-round?
I'm thinking because of the timing here that I will probably continue to run 1 set of no-seasons. I'm fairly certain most things even on a moderate level will be an upgrade from the factory set up. That is merely all I am looking to do though I am thinking about swapping out the rims as well. I want to get something darker in color as the two tone portion cakes brake dust and looks "brownish grey" after 2 days of washing it. The first two winters weren't so kind to the front rims of this car either. Hell, I'd probably even go with a set of bronze/copper... I've always been a fan of that color scheme.

I'm not trying to change much in terms of tire/rim spec here and I don't really foresee issues going forward since I am on stock suspension and not on stance nation.
Ida no if I said this before, but the size of the fuel tank is dictated by a minimum driving range (FORE!) target, by packaging space, by ground clearance, and sometimes by vehicle weight class (for EPA testing). When a vehicle design gets close to moving one weight class (up or down), there is likely to be some unusual compromises made in order to ensure a favorable outcome (avoid going up or allow it to drop a class). Something like an aluminum body closure panel might be included on one version of a vehicle, but not on another, depending on which one could benefit from the weight savings and which one would not. Similarly, fuel tank capacity can be used to fine-tune the vehicle weight.
The same thing goes for meeting emissions regulations - you get no bonus points for exceeding standards, so they might decide whether to include EGR or not depending on what the prices are running for platinum, palladium, and rhodium (exhaust catalyst materials) vs the cost of EGR hardware.
Figured there are rules and regulations but definitely an interesting read. I'm pretty certain I've never owned a car personally, that has gotten better then a rough 300 mile range... I really have never ventured out of the sub-compact/compact class though.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Closing Disneyworld? Is there a Dog in Hebbin that would allow this to happen?
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Question for all:

I have a serious interview coming up Monday at noon which I think I vented here when I went on my last interview for advice but this once again, is quite a unique scenario. Has anyone interviewed internally for a promotion with a different team, but are essentially interviewing with people they've worked with and see on a day to day basis?

The thing that concerns me is I don't know how much to stress points and things that would be "speaking to the obvious" or if I try touching on obscurities. It's not that I'm not taking it seriously but it's also harder to get nervous energy out of this since I already know what the people look like and who they actually are...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:Question for all:

I have a serious interview coming up Monday at noon which I think I vented here when I went on my last interview for advice but this once again, is quite a unique scenario. Has anyone interviewed internally for a promotion with a different team, but are essentially interviewing with people they've worked with and see on a day to day basis?

The thing that concerns me is I don't know how much to stress points and things that would be "speaking to the obvious" or if I try touching on obscurities. It's not that I'm not taking it seriously but it's also harder to get nervous energy out of this since I already know what the people look like and who they actually are...
Do you know them well enough to know if they see you as you see yourself?

If not, maybe there were duties you were taking care of that they knew nothing about and you can point those out to them. Maybe you have skills or experience that you did or didn't use on projects where you worked with them, but which might be considered welcome additions to the team's skillset?
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Do you know them well enough to know if they see you as you see yourself?

If not, maybe there were duties you were taking care of that they knew nothing about and you can point those out to them. Maybe you have skills or experience that you did or didn't use on projects where you worked with them, but which might be considered welcome additions to the team's skillset?
This post questioning things has definitely helped me in it's own. I presented the same questions to myself and answered accordingly. They definitely know who I am but do not deal with me on a direct basis. There are things such as projects and skills that I will present myself that probably have slipped under the radar and couldn't hurt to be re-affirmed. I am going in with a bit nervous energy though mostly because I feel like I've been burned before. I've probably had one interview for an internship where I feel like I totally bombed, was out matched, didn't do my homework for, etc... but I was young then and told myself I would never put myself in a bad spot again. All of the other ones I could walk out of the premises feeling good, and that I did the best I could. What's also pretty awkward about this one is I won't be doing that... I have to work about 3.5 hours before hand and will come back to work another 3 hours to finish my day.

I'm kind of putting it in my head that I can not blow this or I am going to be in a terrible mood to finish out my work day. I need to put myself in the best position possible going in noon tomorrow.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Glad Rope chimed in there for you. Not to sound foolish (too late) but i would have no clue how to approach your situation, probably since i tend to not put myself in real situations like that (i'm usually put into situations more involuntarily or otherwise in making bad decisions or not changing anything, so do have experience in certain things but definitely not that). i do commend your courage to make changes and have aspirations. i can only recommend doing as much as you can while you're younger as, at least in my experience, the energy and motivation falls off eventually. i only aspire to sit on my butt, which apparenty requires more not sitting on my butt to be able to do more than a couple of days a week. i still will always picture you (whatever you may look like) double clutching down the almighty hempstead turnpike, no matter which luxo SUV you may upgrade to. 8)