New member from Western NY

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: New member from Western NY

Post by Teamwork »

Progress wrote: Thanks! If I got a GTI it would be a 4-door sport so LP and PP standard. If I did a retro in the GSW I'd probably have a retrifitter do the job starting from BEC replicas since they mimic the LP cosmetically which I like a lot. Definitely two sets of wheels/tires would be necessary.
Sport trim would be the way I'd go if I was in the market now for sure but I think it's odd they cut the fog lamps from that trim. I disagree with Potown respectfully ( :D ) and literally think LP is a must. I'm not a snob when it comes to this stuff but they are probably the best headlights, best HID's, best DRL's, I've ever experienced on any car at any price point. I drive in various amounts of settings around NY/LI and it's safe to say it would be difficult for me to ever go back to a car with halogens. The cutoff on the low beams is great and none of the negatives with HID set ups are exhibited IMO. Adaptive lightning around corners doesn't involve swiveling (it's a dedicated light in the housing that illuminates) but it is an intelligent system that detects speed/usage of a direction/and steering wheel movement to determine whether it should come on or off.

Like I said in the original post there are retrofits that do the job of the aesthetic but I can't speak on the reliability or the performance matching OEM. I have BEC LED tail lights as we speak though and the customer service and product Ed supports is really good for tail lights at least. He's a hero on the vortex.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
Progress wrote: Thanks! If I got a GTI it would be a 4-door sport so LP and PP standard. If I did a retro in the GSW I'd probably have a retrifitter do the job starting from BEC replicas since they mimic the LP cosmetically which I like a lot. Definitely two sets of wheels/tires would be necessary.
Sport trim would be the way I'd go if I was in the market now for sure but I think it's odd they cut the fog lamps from that trim. I disagree with Potown respectfully ( :D ) and literally think LP is a must. I'm not a snob when it comes to this stuff but they are probably the best headlights, best HID's, best DRL's, I've ever experienced on any car at any price point. I drive in various amounts of settings around NY/LI and it's safe to say it would be difficult for me to ever go back to a car with halogens. The cutoff on the low beams is great and none of the negatives with HID set ups are exhibited IMO. Adaptive lightning around corners doesn't involve swiveling (it's a dedicated light in the housing that illuminates) but it is an intelligent system that detects speed/usage of a direction/and steering wheel movement to determine whether it should come on or off.

Like I said in the original post there are retrofits that do the job of the aesthetic but I can't speak on the reliability or the performance matching OEM. I have BEC LED tail lights as we speak though and the customer service and product Ed supports is really good for tail lights at least. He's a hero on the vortex.
it'll be interesting to see how the Sport does with LP but no foglights. At least LP doesn't use the fogs for cornering lights.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:it'll be interesting to see how the Sport does with LP but no foglights. At least LP doesn't use the fogs for cornering lights.
Truthfully I don't get it while I do understand the trim. I think there is savings to be had here considering the S model was a cheaper base price for me in 2015, had to be optioned out, and had less content overall. While the main point here is LP + PP... it still has exterior "enhancements", what looks to be an even worse looking wheel design, keyless access, and rear view camera. I would sacrifice the fog lamps for a lot of this content really but it's kind of weird to me that they couldn't just carry it on. Roughly a 2k premium versus the S model... I'd rationalize this easy.

Color me impressed for the most part. Aside from all of this the website is really nicely laid out and intuitive and looks refreshing... I think the marketing here reeks of dieselgate but this seems pretty logical to me to appease both sides of the equation.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:it'll be interesting to see how the Sport does with LP but no foglights. At least LP doesn't use the fogs for cornering lights.
Truthfully I don't get it while I do understand the trim. I think there is savings to be had here considering the S model was a cheaper base price for me in 2015, had to be optioned out, and had less content overall. While the main point here is LP + PP... it still has exterior "enhancements", what looks to be an even worse looking wheel design, keyless access, and rear view camera. I would sacrifice the fog lamps for a lot of this content really but it's kind of weird to me that they couldn't just carry it on. Roughly a 2k premium versus the S model... I'd rationalize this easy.

Color me impressed for the most part. Aside from all of this the website is really nicely laid out and intuitive and looks refreshing... I think the marketing here reeks of dieselgate but this seems pretty logical to me to appease both sides of the equation.
yeah, kinda wish i had waited for the 2017 models to come out; not sure if i could've gotten a better deal on a golf wolfsburg or gti s/sport though. plus i would've missed out on that fender audio (and potentially dem fogs :shock: )... :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.