New Member - First-time Manual Driver

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: New Member - First-time Manual Driver

Post by tankinbeans »

My thoughts on the 2.5 Jetta are tainted by the transmission, among other things. Who the hell wants 2 overdrive gears in a 5 speed? The power was hidden by the transmission.

I do admit that I loved the exhaust note, before my friend turned it into a farting bee.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:you better not be talking about my engine :o :x
No. I have no experience with that engine, but the lumpen mess in that heavy piece of trash by Chevrolet is paired up with a springy piece of trash in the coggy box.
was a joke (i had an idea of what you were referring to), but i wouldn't want another N/A sub-2 litre engine, after having bigger engines and now a turbo 1.8. people dog on the VW 2.5, but i don't think it is fair to such a reliable, decently powerful, and cool sounding engine. granted it isn't good on gas for a modern engine and could make more power, but it propelled my jetta quickly (even with the auto transmission). the 1.8 TSI is hard to compare to the 2.5 since it delivers power differently, sounds different (kind of like a muffled possessed diesel) and the transmission is different from the one they used on the 2.5. with the 2.5 you had to go gentle on the throttle or fly away; the 1.8 tsi is a little slow unless you give it the beans right away. once it passes ~2k rpms though, it accelerates quickly in almost any gear.
I agree spot on. The 2.5L also had the unlocked potential to make pretty cool 5 cylinder sounds and was unique. The only reason I didn't get a Jetta 2.5L for my lease the first time around 3 years ago was the garbage pricing and structuring. That and the Mazda 3 were respectfully 1-2 on my want list at the time.

I would've easily have gotten the Golf 1.8 TSI if: A) I could've had a 6 speed as opposed to the 5 and B) I wouldn't of had to be punished for wanting a manual transmission. There are plenty of GTI guys getting better gas mileage in the 2.0T then the 1.8T in manual variations- that is fact and a valid complaint. The 1.8T/2.0T is really nice engine... just wish the engine note was a bit more invigorating.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:My thoughts on the 2.5 Jetta are tainted by the transmission, among other things. Who the hell wants 2 overdrive gears in a 5 speed? The power was hidden by the transmission.
I would want 2 overdrive gears in a 5 speed.

They must have done something very different from my 2.5 Rabbit which, while it technically had an overdrive gear, was devoid of gears appropriate for anything faster than 30mph (which is where 5th was perfect for cruising, though one might use 4th to accelerate beyond 30mph if hurrying).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The ratios were:

1: 3.78
2: 2.12
3: 1.27
4: 0.87
5: 0.66
R: 3.60
F: 3.39

Getting out of the way required a 3rd gear downshift most of the time. Pretty terrifying really.

170hp @ 5700
177tq @ 4250
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
MH86
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 VW Jetta SE

Post by MH86 »

Thanks everyone who confirmed the high friction point on VWs.

Today, I drove to and from work and didn't stall or over-rev. I had to do a bunch of hill starts and can do them without the handbrake (in case anyone was wondering, I've been using the method of finding the friction point while my right foot is still on the brake and then transferring my right foot to the gas while I've got the friction point. Obviously, I'm doing this when I'm ready to get moving and NOT for the entire red light). My only rollbacks were when I took my foot off the brake to test how steep some of the hills were. Given everything I've mentioned here, I realize how pointless my fear of hill starts with a car behind me is.

This morning (I left for work extra-early, before rush hour), I noticed that I'm fairly smooth at launching and shifting when there's not much traffic, but during rush hour, my launches and shifting suddenly become a little jerky. At the very least, my 1-2 shift no longer induces whiplash like it did about a month ago, regardless of whether or not I'm in traffic :D

I'm still not fully comfortable driving manual in rush hour yet, but I feel like I'll get to that point in time. Can't be great at everything in one day.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

The great thing about rush hour is that you'll have a TON of attempts engaging 1st gear if that's what you're shaky on. Little victories should be acknowledged though as it's steps in the right direction. With handling rush hour crawls though you have to realize that anyone whose impatient behind you or really riding your butt hard is not going to stick around for very long. They most likely will change lanes back and fourth and figure out very quick that they aren't going to be staying behind you long. The guy behind me for about 10 miles was a guy around my age in a Civic SI and I felt comfortable enough to even take my foot off the brake on level ground to stretch my ankle and what not. He left me probably half a car length and somehow didn't get cut off. That's the thing that I hate cruising in a low gear is it gives people too much space to cut in front of me and slam the gas and brake dance. I couldn't picture going through what I have to for 5 days a week now when I was in month 1 or 2... so I wouldn't feel so bad about not feeling comfortable. It's seriously a jungle out there...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I've noticed that once people realize you have a manual, as long as they also have one, they'll give you space. They've been in the same spot.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
MH86
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MH86 »

tankinbeans wrote:I've noticed that once people realize you have a manual, as long as they also have one, they'll give you space. They've been in the same spot.
Yes! I've totally noticed this! Trucks have been especially kind when I've started rolling back slightly to warn them on hills. And I do the same as well. I'm about to sound totally OCD, but I've often been able to spot other manual cars because they're not moving until the brake lights are fully off (whereas automatics start to creep forward while the driver's foot is still partially on the brakes).
MH86
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MH86 »

Teamwork wrote:The great thing about rush hour is that you'll have a TON of attempts engaging 1st gear if that's what you're shaky on. Little victories should be acknowledged though as it's steps in the right direction. With handling rush hour crawls though you have to realize that anyone whose impatient behind you or really riding your butt hard is not going to stick around for very long. They most likely will change lanes back and fourth and figure out very quick that they aren't going to be staying behind you long. The guy behind me for about 10 miles was a guy around my age in a Civic SI and I felt comfortable enough to even take my foot off the brake on level ground to stretch my ankle and what not. He left me probably half a car length and somehow didn't get cut off. That's the thing that I hate cruising in a low gear is it gives people too much space to cut in front of me and slam the gas and brake dance. I couldn't picture going through what I have to for 5 days a week now when I was in month 1 or 2... so I wouldn't feel so bad about not feeling comfortable. It's seriously a jungle out there...
Yeah, that's one way to look at rush hour traffic. And thanks for telling me how you felt after a month or 2 ... I'm feeling less wimpy about my plans to ease myself into it and take public transit to work some days of the week (thankfully, that's an option and it doesn't take much longer than driving).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

MH86 wrote: Yeah, that's one way to look at rush hour traffic. And thanks for telling me how you felt after a month or 2 ... I'm feeling less wimpy about my plans to ease myself into it and take public transit to work some days of the week (thankfully, that's an option and it doesn't take much longer than driving).
what eye would consider doing is to try to limit the public transport option to one day (2 at the most) a week, maybe the day that tends to be the worst traffic wise (could that be MUNDAY?!? :evil: ), and try to drive all other days. you could also do it in the middle of the work week, to break it up a little. that way you will get a break from driving and be able to go back to it fresh, but you'll also get plenty of practice in.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:My thoughts on the 2.5 Jetta are tainted by the transmission, among other things. Who the hell wants 2 overdrive gears in a 5 speed? The power was hidden by the transmission.
this is one car/engine where the 6 speed auto was apparently better than the manual - the 6 speed worked very well with that engine, other than not being able to help improve MPG much. 8)
tank wrote:I do admit that I loved the exhaust note, before my friend turned it into a farting bee.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
yeah, the engine and exhaust sound nice stock but you're asking for trouble opening up the exhaust. i think Vedran was the one who described the 2.5 as a mini VR6. even though it was almost as big in displacement as the VR6 in the MK3 and MK4 VWs, it didn't have the more aggressive Chewbacca growl of the VR6.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Yeah, that's one way to look at rush hour traffic. And thanks for telling me how you felt after a month or 2 ... I'm feeling less wimpy about my plans to ease myself into it and take public transit to work some days of the week (thankfully, that's an option and it doesn't take much longer than driving).
Again, I literally dodged/avoided going to work in it for an entire month before I even attempted and this was during off peak hours. If I was thrown into the fire with the route and hours I had to for this new job I would probably have had a panic attack of sorts lol. As sad as this is to say I'm sure people have trouble navigating these jungles in automatics even. Especially older people whose reaction times to frequent and hard stops are probably dulled.
what eye would consider doing is to try to limit the public transport option to one day (2 at the most) a week, maybe the day that tends to be the worst traffic wise (could that be MUNDAY?!? :evil: ), and try to drive all other days. you could also do it in the middle of the work week, to break it up a little. that way you will get a break from driving and be able to go back to it fresh, but you'll also get plenty of practice in.
I won't answer for MH but in my experience Monday is one of the best days going to work in terms of traffic/time for me. I feel like many people oversleep by a bit (or a lot) so I don't hit as many cars or trouble. Friday afternoon though is the absolute worst out of all though... I literally don't break 30 mph on any stretch for miles and going 20+ is a victory. Mind you these are on roads rated for 55-60 mph. They turn into parking lots, literally.
yeah, the engine and exhaust sound nice stock but you're asking for trouble opening up the exhaust. i think Vedran was the one who described the 2.5 as a mini VR6. even though it was almost as big in displacement as the VR6 in the MK3 and MK4 VWs, it didn't have the more aggressive Chewbacca growl of the VR6.
I liked that VW was different with the VR6 offerings and the 5 cylinder but most of "professionals" hated the 5 cylinder 2.5L. I think the VR6's have problems with age and aren't really worth the headache unless you're hardcore. I actually met a few guys who have a long tenure of VAG mobiles (shocking lol) and they enjoy and respect the 5 cylinder. I drove it in the Jetta and Golf and at the time it felt great to me but I was coming out of a 1.8L 4 cylinder with 180k on the clock so a lot of things felt 'great to me'.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:The ratios were:

1: 3.78
2: 2.12
3: 1.27
4: 0.87
5: 0.66
R: 3.60
F: 3.39

Getting out of the way required a 3rd gear downshift most of the time. Pretty terrifying really.

170hp @ 5700
177tq @ 4250
Wow, I would have loved that transmission. I had the same engine. 2000RPM at 65mph, according to the gear calculator. Not quite a glacial loafer gear but that's all you can ask of that engine.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
MH86
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MH86 »

Teamwork wrote:
Again, I literally dodged/avoided going to work in it for an entire month before I even attempted and this was during off peak hours. If I was thrown into the fire with the route and hours I had to for this new job I would probably have had a panic attack of sorts lol. As sad as this is to say I'm sure people have trouble navigating these jungles in automatics even. Especially older people whose reaction times to frequent and hard stops are probably dulled.
Yeah. I had a few panic attacks this past month, and it was starting to affect my ability to work. So for now, my productivity at work is more important thatn driving.
I won't answer for MH but in my experience Monday is one of the best days going to work in terms of traffic/time for me. I feel like many people oversleep by a bit (or a lot) so I don't hit as many cars or trouble. Friday afternoon though is the absolute worst out of all though... I literally don't break 30 mph on any stretch for miles and going 20+ is a victory. Mind you these are on roads rated for 55-60 mph. They turn into parking lots, literally.
Fridays are definitely the worst for traffic. I think that even once I'm fully comfortable driving to/from work, I'd still occasionally take public transportation in on Fridays.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:The great thing about rush hour is that you'll have a TON of attempts engaging 1st gear if that's what you're shaky on.
The great thing about hitting yourself in the head with a hammer is when you stop - it feels so sublime not to have that incessant pounding that you hear through your bones and feel with each blow that you are about to pass out.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"