rev-matching question

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: rev-matching question

Post by theholycow »

For a sequential downshift sometimes I rev-match, but sometimes I just don't bother worrying about it at all...I just let the clutch absorb it. Unless at high RPM it's not a big jump, even with my wide ratios.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Ok, good info to know lol
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote: Oh I get that. I practiced blipping today and it wasn't as bad as last night. You did mention earlier that you don't really blip when going down a single gear. What do you do if you are?
For a sequential downshift sometimes I rev-match, but sometimes I just don't bother worrying about it at all...I just let the clutch absorb it. Unless at high RPM it's not a big jump, even with my wide ratios.
Yeah especially in OD gears you're really only varying a couple of hundred of RPM at the absolute most going down one gear. You were concerned about missing your rev matches by a hundred... obviously if you missed it by a few hundred the clutch absorbed the gear change and transition and your car surely didn't explode. If you didn't blip and went into 5th gear from 6th gear you would just feather out the clutch and let it absorb the change in engine speed (same idea I think if you missed your revs a little on a rev match).

As stated in my prior post when I am slowing down to traffic conditions and the traffic resumes and I haven't completely stopped I will take the "highest gear as possible" for the speed I'm currently at and just feather out the clutch and resume my movement without rev matching. When I'm good most of the time the rpm's only rise a couple of hundred from idle at 800 (so for instance 800 to 1100-1200 rpm) and I just work my way out of the hole. Obviously, if I want to get out of the hole a little faster I'll give it a blip and choose the lower gear and have more immediate torque at hand. Same scenario applies for 90 degree turns for me also, I could take them slowly out of 3rd gear above 16 mph or I could steadily raise the rpm, feathering up the throttle and match my rev's for 2nd and really squeal tires out of a turn and get my moneys worth out of my mechanical LSD.

I really took the time out personally to get used to my gear ranges for speeds. I'm really comfortable now knowing what gear the car likes to be in certain instances and not being so "inbetween gears" in different variable instances.

I have driven your car or at least the 2015 version. I thought the shifter was okay but I always had this feeling when I was going through the gates that I was moving the lever through quick sand and your clutch is definitely heavier then mine. I felt like I needed to slip 1st gear for an eternity compared to my car but I'm not too sure if that is because of the AWD aspect or just the car in general. It's a nice car for sure though.. just becareful- that power is addicting.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Lol I know what you mean about moving the shifter through quicksand. You've been very helpful and I'm just absorbing all this info like a sponge.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

theholycow wrote: A few hundred is fine. Closer is better. Plenty of people never learn about rev-matching and drive their whole lives without replacing a clutch.
This This This!! :)

Got to be said and repeated: Whatever you mess-up in the process of learning, regardless of how terrible it feels or it is on paper, is going to do infinitely negligible damage to your clutch, synchros, engine mounts etc...

What does screw up the whole lot is aggressive careless driving, powershifts, side stepping the clutch etc...

so, just practice, try things, practice again and don't worry about it~ :)
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:Lol I know what you mean about moving the shifter through quicksand. You've been very helpful and I'm just absorbing all this info like a sponge.
I would just really focus on specific instances where it's hanging you up. Try and identify where you're getting hung up with- is it the order of operations, the muscle movements being harmonious, or just not enough experience and lagging the entire process? Once you really focus on where you're getting hung up on think about how you can fix or alter it so it's smoother and more natural.

Also, get to know your gears and rev ranges- it'll take months but by now you should have a simple idea. Name an overall speed, and then name a gear and have a really good idea of where you're rpm's are. I named speeds and gears relating back to my car- but your's are probably different to a minimal degree (maybe even more significantly). Knowing that is half the battle as well!
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

"Got to be said and repeated: Whatever you mess-up in the process of learning, regardless of how terrible it feels or it is on paper, is going to do infinitely negligible damage to your clutch, synchros, engine mounts etc...

What does screw up the whole lot is aggressive careless driving, powershifts, side stepping the clutch etc..."

The good this is that I don't drive like an ass. I don't power shift, or side step my clutch etc. it's good to hear that the amount of wear would be infinitely negligible lol.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Teamwork wrote:
Ewilon1988 wrote:Lol I know what you mean about moving the shifter through quicksand. You've been very helpful and I'm just absorbing all this info like a sponge.
I would just really focus on specific instances where it's hanging you up. Try and identify where you're getting hung up with- is it the order of operations, the muscle movements being harmonious, or just not enough experience and lagging the entire process? Once you really focus on where you're getting hung up on think about how you can fix or alter it so it's smoother and more natural.

Also, get to know your gears and rev ranges- it'll take months but by now you should have a simple idea. Name an overall speed, and then name a gear and have a really good idea of where you're rpm's are. I named speeds and gears relating back to my car- but your's are probably different to a minimal degree (maybe even more significantly). Knowing that is half the battle as well!
Yeah I think here I'm getting hung up on is my time it takes to complete the motions of downshifting, blipping and the clutch release so I'm going to work on that and of course work on how much is needed to blip to get the Rpms right. Yeah I have a better knowledge know of where my Rpms should be at a certain mph, I'm not a professional with it of course but I have a good understanding