SUV'S With A Manual

All the news that's fit to shift.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

SUV'S With A Manual

Post by Bill B »

Not many SUV's left with a manual. My 2007 Element would be hard to replace with a AWD and manual combo. Autoblog has posted a list of SUV's with a manual. Link below

http://www.autoblog.com/car-finder/suv/manual/
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: SUV'S With A Manual

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Yeah Jeep - Keeper of the Flame!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah. Before I bought my Subaru, my requirements were AWD, manual and unibody.

There were very few choices.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I wasn't surprised by much of this list, though I didn't realize that both Mazda with the CX-5 and Honda with the newer HR-V kept manuals available. Good for them! :D
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:I wasn't surprised by much of this list, though I didn't realize that both Mazda with the CX-5 and Honda with the newer HR-V kept manuals available. Good for them! :D
You have to get the 2.0 in the Mazda and it's base model poverty spec. 155hp/14?torques. Friend has one...it's busy.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Semi-related though: I watched Interstellar the other day and saw that the late model Ram 2500s with a diesel can be had with a manual. I couldn't figure out if the truck was molested for dramatic effect, dad teaching daughter to shift gears and daughter grinding leading up to a blown tire, or if it came from the manufacturer that way.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

They can be had from the manufacturer that way but they're the only game in town. From the 150/1500 class all the way up to the 750/7500 class, Ram is it (and only in 2500+ and with the diesel). The little Euro-style vans are all available with diesels and manuals in their home markets but they don't come here that way.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah. Before I bought my Subaru, my requirements were AWD, manual and unibody.

my aunt has a new pea green base model forester with the cvt and premium wheel package (replaced a 94 corolla wagon that FINALLY died) that i got to ride in on thursday. reminded me of how nice, solid, quiet (roadnoisewise) and comfy that car is. sounded cool even with the cvt. my aunt can't drive straight or quickly to save her life, but at least she has a nice car. :) :lol: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:I wasn't surprised by much of this list, though I didn't realize that both Mazda with the CX-5 and Honda with the newer HR-V kept manuals available. Good for them! :D
good luck finding a manual HR-V in the great white northern US - it only is offered on the lowend FWD model (Honda doesn't allocate many FWD SUVs to the northern states). that car also needs another half a litre or a turbocharger. CX-5, as mentioned, can be found with the manual, but it's only in the lowend FWD model.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Semi-related though: I watched Interstellar the other day and saw that the late model Ram 2500s with a diesel can be had with a manual. I couldn't figure out if the truck was molested for dramatic effect, dad teaching daughter to shift gears and daughter grinding leading up to a blown tire, or if it came from the manufacturer that way.
That truck starts the movie dented, beat-up, and rusted, getting driven abusively. Many decades of abuse later the truck ends the movie exactly as dented, beat up, and rusted as it started...and there's a time dilation issue here too. When I say "many decades" I mean the real-life length of that insufferable movie; in the movie it's even longer.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

First gear in the Cummins Rams is useless unless youre towing, by the way. I always start in 2nd.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's de rigueur in anything bigger than a half-ton.

Granny does occasionally come in handy outside of towing/hauling duties, including creeping at a steady pace in a long line of vehicles approaching a stop sign.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah. Before I bought my Subaru, my requirements were AWD, manual and unibody.

Cool you bought the new Forester with the 6 speed manual. Probably a good thing since there's concerns it may not be offered much longer as
is the case with the Outback.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Stelcom66 wrote:

Cool you bought the new Forester with the 6 speed manual. Probably a good thing since there's concerns it may not be offered much longer as
is the case with the Outback.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Fortunately - Subaru is still offering it in the Forester. From Autoguide.com:

"Under the hood, the 2017 Forester offers a 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 170 horsepower as a base option, mated to either a CVT or a six-speed manual.'