Manual Returns to 911 GT3

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Manual Returns to 911 GT3

Post by Standardshifter »

"Having neglected the purists in favor of the racers is a mistake Porsche doesn’t want to repeat, and therefore, the next generation of the GT3 almost certainly will be offered with both a six-speed manual and a seven-speed PDK."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hallelujah ... nsmission/
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Manual Returns to 911 GT3

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Precisely!

If I wanted my car to go faster / lap quicker than my meager abilities allow, I would just hire someone else to drive it better than I can...., but I don't, so I won't.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Amen to that, brother.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Yay for more people who just want a car and don't need to be boy racers.

Winging around a track would be fun, but not racing. I'd like to get better at less jerky HTs and DCs. Other than that going schneller isn't a major priority.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Would be nice if other manufacturers will also see the error of their ways and bring the 3rd pedal back. The computer controlled trans might be faster at the track, but not nearly as much fun to drive. There has to be someone out there with enough quick shifting talent to beat the computer controlled auto trans at the track.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Some claim that the PDK can shift in less than 200 milliseconds. That's 0.2 seconds. While anything's possible, in all honesty, it probably takes me longer than 200 millseconds just to move my left foot over to the clutch pedal, let alone depressing it, shifting to the next gear, and releasing it, in that amount of time. :?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

PDK being a dual-clutch unit, it can do things a traditional manual simply can not. It is theoretically possible for there to be zero interruption in power delivery since one clutch can be engaging at the same time the other is disengaging. If you're fighting for every thousandth of a second, there will be no contest, no matter how good the driver of the conventional manual is. If, on the other hand, you enjoy the tactility, connection, and skill required in driving a traditional manual well, there is also no contest. Driven well, it should also be possible for the traditional manual to have dramatically longer service intervals and less expensive servicing when the time comes.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

When the squirrels revolt and chew everyone's transmission control module wiring, the Amish will inherit the highways!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

six wrote:Some claim that the PDK can shift in less than 200 milliseconds. That's 0.2 seconds. While anything's possible, in all honesty, it probably takes me longer than 200 millseconds just to move my left foot over to the clutch pedal, let alone depressing it, shifting to the next gear, and releasing it, in that amount of time. :?
Like IMBoring said, certainly true. However, it is crazy to see some professional racers (think rally racers) shifting. They are insanely quick.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Like IMBoring said, certainly true. However, it is crazy to see some professional racers (think rally racers) shifting. They are insanely quick.
How professional are we talking? Like, they have professional racing transmissions and professional transmission rebuilders who professionally rebuild it after every race?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Squint wrote:Like IMBoring said, certainly true. However, it is crazy to see some professional racers (think rally racers) shifting. They are insanely quick.
I think rallly cars have dog-teeth transmissions. No need to use the clutch, just jam the stick to the next gear.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

six wrote:
I think rallly cars have dog-teeth transmissions. No need to use the clutch, just jam the stick to the next gear.
Fine, if you think it's so easy, you go ahead and try cramming a stick in there and see how much of your hand you get back.

(Why does this one remind me of an Ewok?)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
How professional are we talking? Like, they have professional racing transmissions and professional transmission rebuilders who professionally rebuild it after every race?
I was thinking of some rally videos I've seen, and also of some Miata racing series videos I've seen (the higher level professional stuff, not the average Joe paying few hundred bucks to race in stuff).
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!