More In-Line with Paul's Desires?

All the news that's fit to shift.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: More In-Line with Paul's Desires?

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:Yesterday I saw a Model A just driving down the road at rush hour, like a boss. Wasn't holding up traffic or anything, just going along at around the 40mph limit.
Don't get Paul's hopes up too much, Moofasa. That's not nice :wink:
I should put a for sale sign on the Ranger. I know if I sell it, Clutchdisc will find a nice car for me on Craigslist. I am not partial to Model A and will even go for a 60s car, pretty much anything pre computer. 70s cars may work but the antipollution equipment is problematical because at that time it was a rushed retrofit effort. Later cars had antipollution equipment more integrated into the overall engine design, but then they had the big brother OBD computers. I don't want flashing lights and other garbage. I don't even like that the dome light doesn't go off right away on the 1999 Voyager when you shut the door.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:
Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:Yesterday I saw a Model A just driving down the road at rush hour, like a boss. Wasn't holding up traffic or anything, just going along at around the 40mph limit.
Don't get Paul's hopes up too much, Moofasa. That's not nice :wink:
I should put a for sale sign on the Ranger. I know if I sell it, Clutchdisc will find a nice car for me on Craigslist. I am not partial to Model A and will even go for a 60s car, pretty much anything pre computer. 70s cars may work but the antipollution equipment is problematical because at that time it was a rushed retrofit effort. Later cars had antipollution equipment more integrated into the overall engine design, but then they had the big brother OBD computers. I don't want flashing lights and other garbage. I don't even like that the dome light doesn't go off right away on the 1999 Voyager when you shut the door.

Don't worry, if you get an old enough car, it won't even have a dome light.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:Thanks for the post. I guess I have to watch it dead because I don't have a television set. Now I am actually thinking of putting a "steal this truck" sticker on my Ranger so I will have an excuse to get a Model A.
No, it's not on TV, it's on the WWWeb.
http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: Don't worry, if you get an old enough car, it won't even have a dome light.
Ah yes, the benefits of simplicity!

Yeah, but I am afraid I can't bear to part with the Ranger because it is so much fun do drive, so my new plan is to drive it harder, more runs to 5500 rpm and all that. After all the engine will outlast the body in this rust belt and I may as well have as much fun as I can. But if it helps wear it out sooner and I move up to a simpler car sooner, all the better. :D
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:Thanks for the post. I guess I have to watch it dead because I don't have a television set. Now I am actually thinking of putting a "steal this truck" sticker on my Ranger so I will have an excuse to get a Model A.
No, it's not on TV, it's on the WWWeb.
http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513
Ah that is even better. Thanks for the link.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:After all the engine will outlast the body in this rust belt
Especially in an I4-equipped Ranger. It's not that the body will rust prematurely (relative to other vehicles), it's just that those engines keep going and going and going...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Friend, on my shiite list, recently ditched his 97 Ranger in favor of a 99 Ram 1500. The thing started belching black smoke upon being given the beans.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Friend...ditched his 97 Ranger in favor of a 99 Ram 1500...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

We don't have enough data to facepalm. Sure, it was a bad idea going from a Ford to a Dodge, but perhaps it was a calculated gamble that was necessary for accomplishing some kind of work for which the compact truck was insufficient. Granted, it was probably just because he thought it looks cool and he's a douchenozzle, but we don't have the data to confirm that.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:We don't have enough data to facepalm...
I do. Every ram of that vintage I've heard of and seen has been an unreliable heap, while most Ford's and chevys hold up without much drama. Not to mention our maintenance truck (ram) which is almost always in need of some major repair.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I think it's a case of "it's newer so it must be better..." sydrome. Theoretically he's going to use the thing for kid duty and work (he's a light-duty contractor). He took our other friend along so that he could make sure he wasn't buying a pile (we know the former owner...he's a moron) and other friend heard knocking, saw the puddle of oil - it has a leak - and advised against buying it. As mentioned before, upon being given it the beans the darn thing started belching smoke and soot all over the place. His aunt says these things are known for puking pistons. Even after having seen and heard all of this he pretty much signed on the dotted line. And to think, he bitched about fuel costs for the Ranger.

I think he's a master of bad decisions.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote: That way I stay out of Shadow's way and get to have my fun.
Stay out of Shadow's way....

Yanno, I like that. Maybe I'll use if for a screen backdrop! :D
Stick shiftin since '77
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:After all the engine will outlast the body in this rust belt
Especially in an I4-equipped Ranger. It's not that the body will rust prematurely (relative to other vehicles), it's just that those engines keep going and going and going...
You haven't seen my vehicles. I didn't wash the Aerostar for at least 10 years and the ranger has been washed once in the last 2 years. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:You haven't seen my vehicles. I didn't wash the Aerostar for at least 10 years and the ranger has been washed once in the last 2 years. :lol:
:lol:

I bet the first thing to go will be the spring hangers. Cheap and easy DIY job at least. (I considered buying one of a spate of $500 Rangers on Craigslist and became very familiar with the types of failures in neglected Rangers...)

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:You haven't seen my vehicles. I didn't wash the Aerostar for at least 10 years and the ranger has been washed once in the last 2 years. :lol:
:lol:
I bet the first thing to go will be the spring hangers.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"