Hello from the Great White North!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Hello from the Great White North!

Post by MisterTwo »

I'm so glad to find a forum dedicated to this topic!

My name is John and I'm from the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario Canada.

At 16, my first car was a 1973 Austin Marina, 4MT, so I cut my teeth on standards. Piece of junk, really, and basically biodegradable, but hey I was 16 and had my own car!

Next, an '85 Dodge Omni GLH, 5MT, than I actually won in a competition. Fun to drive but the dash rattles with 3,000 km on it made me worry.

Then I got a job as a driving instructor and needed an AT vehicle, so sold that and bought an '84 Toyota Tercel. Equal parts boring, underpowered, and reliable.

Decided to go back to school, sold the Tercel to finance that and went back to driving the Austin for a while. Next came a '74 Toyota Corona coupe, 5MT. Got me through university.

After graduation I came across a '83 Toyota Celica 5MT. One of my favorite cars actually, but again the rusties kicked in. About this time, I also inherited a '66 Chrysler New Yorker basket case from my grandparents. It's 3AT, the only way they came. (The lower trim levels could be had with the 3MT, but uptake was very low, even back then!) Did a full restoration on that and it's not going anywhere!

Took out my first ever car loan to get to a '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT, the Celica became the winter beater. I still have the MR2, it's just a really cool, fun, and powerful (if totally impractical) vehicle.

Went through a couple of winter beaters: '86 Honda Accord Hatch 5MT (300,000 km and going strong, until the bumper rusted off), '90 Acura Integra hatch, 5MT, a solid fun car too.

Next came an 2001 Mini Cooper S 6MT. Man was that thing fun! Like many German cars though, it seems, it seemed to see a fair amount of shop time, reinforcing my perception of Japanese quality. When the first kid came along, however, I realized I needed something with 4 doors.

Came across a '98 Nissan Maxima 5MT, so that was that! That was an excellent car, the 3.0 V6 is one of the nicest engines I ever had. Kid number two plus a dog was becoming a bit of a challenge though.

So my latest, a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5 MT wagon. This is a fantastic fit for my lifestyle: super fun to drive, hauls the family, blows away BMW's and snowstorms, you name it. Only complaint is the fuel economy isn't great.

Where next? I have no idea, but as you can see I only have ever had automatics due to necessity. There simply isn't anything out there which appeals to me, other than possibly the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with the Tremec M6, which I can't afford. Thoughts?
Last edited by MisterTwo on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
'66 Chrysler New Yorker 3AT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Hello from the Great White North!

Post by ClutchDisc »

Welcome John, sounds like you had a lot of nice older cars! Any pictures of any of the cars?
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

"The Great White North" today could describe most of North America! :lol:

Have you considered converting the '66 to manual? :D
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome!

I live in the Little White North. Looks like you've had quite the collection of vehicles from all different categories.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome! I really like that gen of the LGT's. Great cars (aside from the headgasket issues).
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome! Fascinating car list, my dad or mom used to have an Omni back in the day well before I was born. How many of those vehicles do you still have?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MisterTwo »

Squint wrote:How many of those vehicles do you still have?
Just the ones in my signature!

The Legacy will need replacement some day, but for now I'm hanging on to it as I can't thing of anything out there that meets my requirements:

> Space for 4 plus a large dog
> Stick shift (obviously)
> Fun to drive (i.e. forced induction)
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, the above requiremes are VERY easy to meet. Problem is - how much you're willing to spend? :mrgreen:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

The GTA is the great white north LMFAO.......that's great. Cool story though. Welcome.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

MisterTwo wrote:I'm so glad to find a forum dedicated to this topic!

My name is John and I'm from the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario Canada.
welcome john!! i'm rob from potown (poughkeepsie, ny). we just got bombed with snow and ice and other random stuff. :D
At 16, my first car was a 1973 Austin Marina, 4MT, so I cut my teeth on standards. Piece of junk, really, and basically biodegradable, but hey I was 16 and had my own car!
still sounds like fun
Next, an '85 Dodge Omni GLH, 5MT, than I actually won in a competition. Fun to drive but the dash rattles with 3,000 km on it made me worry.
goes like hell, eh?? also sounds like fun
After graduation I came across a '83 Toyota Celica 5MT. One of my favorite cars actually, but again the rusties kicked in.
uh oh, i have a feeling certain members are gonna ask more about this :)
Took out my first ever car loan to get to a '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT, the Celica became the winter beater. I still have the MR2, it's just a really cool, fun, and powerful (if totally impractical) vehicle.
nice!!
Went through a couple of winter beaters: '86 Honda Accord Hatch 5MT (300,000 km and going strong, until the bumper rusted off), '90 Acura Integra hatch, 5MT, a solid fun car too.
can relate more to those, though the mr2 sounds like slightly more fun...
Came across a '98 Nissan Maxima 5MT, so that was that! That was an excellent car, the 3.0 V6 is one of the nicest engines I ever had. Kid number two plus a dog was becoming a bit of a challenge though.
NOW you REALLY got my attention. had a black 98 maxima gxe 5 speed for a few years. would be more practical with a folding rear seat (fixed on later models, IIRC). I nicknamed mine the black bull.
So my latest, a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5 MT wagon. This is a fantastic fit for my lifestyle: super fun to drive, hauls the family, blows away BMW's and snowstorms, you name it. Only complaint is the fuel economy isn't great.
nice
Where next? I have no idea, but as you can see I only have ever had automatics due to necessity. There simply isn't anything out there which appeals to me, other than possibly the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with the Tremec M6, which I can't afford. Thoughts?
do they make a lowerend CTS wagon w/ manual?? what about a TSX wagon?? volvo xc70??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MisterTwo »

potownrob wrote:do they make a lowerend CTS wagon w/ manual?? what about a TSX wagon?? volvo xc70??
No CTS unless you go to the $80K CTS-V
No TSX Wagon in Canada
All Volvos are automatics these days, at least in Canada...
AHTOXA wrote:Well, the above requiremes are VERY easy to meet. Problem is - how much you're willing to spend? :mrgreen:
Well just for kicks let's say I had $40K at my disposal....
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

MisterTwo wrote:
potownrob wrote:do they make a lowerend CTS wagon w/ manual?? what about a TSX wagon?? volvo xc70??
No TSX Wagon in Canada
thought the lower end V6 cts came in wagon form, and also thought Canada had the tsx wagon...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MisterTwo »

Should have been more specific: no manual in the CTS unless you get the CTS-V.
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Not sure I'd own one even if I didn't have a prejudice for RWD, but all your requirements could sound like you're talking about the Mini Cooper Countryman S I was given as a rental car on one of my business trips.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

MisterTwo wrote:
No TSX Wagon in Canada
AHTOXA wrote:Well, the above requiremes are VERY easy to meet. Problem is - how much you're willing to spend? :mrgreen:
Well just for kicks let's say I had $40K at my disposal....

Yeah, not for $40 but for about 80 grand you can get this.

So hot.

'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650