Reverse Sticky

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Reverse Sticky

Post by SonicHKS »

I was wondering if we can update the 'threads of interest' sticky on this forum, or make a sticky just for reverse gear?

I see too many people who have problems with reverse....especially it grinding. Proper technique for shifting into and using reverse should be common knowledge on this forum.

#1. Just shifting to reverse can grind sometimes. If you shift to a forward gear, then into reverse, it never grinds. Never a problem engaging it either. It makes it consistent. Me, I always shift to 4th and then into reverse. Friends are always surprised I can do it every time without grinding :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Reverse Sticky

Post by AHTOXA »

Would your Sonic grind if you didn't engage forward gear first?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Would your Sonic grind if you didn't engage forward gear first?
I'm going out on a limb and assume the vehicle is stationary during this discussion.
How about his trans is grinding when he shifts into reverse because the clutch disk and input shaft were driven by the engine and spinning at idle speed until the moment that he pressed down on the clutch pedal. Then, even if the clutch release system is working fine, there is an amount of time that the and input shaft continue to spin until they eventually come to a stop. If he waited, let's say ~2.5 seconds (OKAY EVERYONE....ON MY COUNT....1, 2, 3, - ""APPROXIMATELY TWO AND A HALF SECONDS"), he could shift into Reverse without gnashing any teeth. By shifting into any synchronized gear first, he would have brought the clutch disk and input shaft to a halt more quickly (Synchronizing the input shaft to output shaft at Zero speed).

It's also possible to just delay shifting into Reverse until the trans input costs down to a halt all by its lonesome self.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I was just asking for comparative purposes. Mine has never done it, even when I get into it in a hurry.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Mine does it but its not really a grind, its more a resistance that feels like the teeth are lining up.

I normally just move the stick slowly and let it slip in rather than force it in (that sounded dirty). Is what I'm doing wrong, should I put it into 1st then reverse every time?
2012 VW Golf R
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonicHKS »

AHTOXA wrote:Would your Sonic grind if you didn't engage forward gear first?
Not really. In the Sonic it just makes it so selecting reverse isn't consistent, it doesn't have a consistent feel. Sometimes it feels like things don't line up and it doesn't really want to go into gear. It doesn't grind at all. In previous cars they had that same kind of feel, just with an extra grind here and there.

I've never found that waiting to go into reverse helps the same way as selecting a forward gear first. I don't like sitting there in neutral with the clutch depressed so this is just what I do. Seems like helpful advice to noobs. Whenever I'm with someone driving stick out in the real world they never know about any of this and always have trouble grinding/selecting reverse. To me, this technique is ideal because it ensures consistent, fast engagement of reverse. Makes it just like grabbing any other gear.
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

Mine slips in like a greased pig. I never really took note or thought about what I do but I don't hit a forward gear first
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's weird because everything I'm seeing indicates the Patriot does not have a synchronized reverse. How long have you typically been holding the clutch in when you go for reverse?
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

Like I said I've never really thought about so much as just do what works BUT if you're gonna make me conscious of it....

Say I'm backing in my driveway I am prone to knock it out of gear a few seconds before I swing toward the neighbour's house and stop. Clutch is out once in neutral slides right into reverse and away we go. So practically zero time on it.

That being said, I have before tried staying in my forward gear, pushing the clutch in, stopping, then shifting to R. With that I met slight resistance but definitely no grinding. I don't do it that way any more. The only time I've ever heard a grind is when I brain farted in a hurry and went for R while I was barely rolling forward still, but that's a given.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonicHKS »

So can this technique for getting into reverse be added to the sticky? People here don't even know about it, I just heard about bk having trouble engaging reverse.

I also find it funny how I post a helpful piece of advice, and I get attacked by people saying its not necessary. Both this and waiting with the clutch in are good ways to achieve consistent selection and engagement of reverse.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Wow. Just wow.

No one's attacking you and now you're whining because it wasn't made a sticky? Yeah, with a post like that, I'm not surprised; stickies are generally detailed and thought-out as informative posts, covering a subject in-depth. You just stated what works for you. What you said isn't wrong, it's just not a sticky material in the way it was presented. Plus, I don't think that you're correct when you said that no one knows about it - we've discussed in the past.

Looks, I really have nothing against you, personally. It's your attitude that's childish, arrogant and overly sensitive. Aren't you in your mid or late 20's? Act like it if you want to be taken seriously.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonicHKS »

/facepalm

Like I'd want this thread with the hostility to be a sticky? :roll: You fail at reading comprehension Tony, re-read my post. "...be added to the sticky?" It can just be listed on its own, not as its own thread, or maybe in a new locked thread with no replies.

And you're like 30 right? Kinda old to be picking childish fights like this? Read my last post. No whining. All I did was mention something about instantly getting attacked while trying to post advice. Which, IS TRUE. First post was you acting like the grinding is my fault or my cars' fault. 2nd post was Rope-Pusher showing up to say I'm wrong and the correct technique is sitting there with the clutch in waiting, wearing your t/o bearing. My "whining" isn't unfounded. Maybe if people showed up to the thread and appreciated my input and advice I wouldn't "whine"?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

:lol: :lol:

But we appreciate your input - I do! We're all special and we're all unique in our own ways.

'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

SonicHKS wrote:2nd post was Rope-Pusher showing up to say I'm wrong and the correct technique is sitting there with the clutch in waiting, wearing your t/o bearing.
Say WHAT? Go back and read my post again.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

As a neutral third party, I didn't notice any of the hostility until Sonic started getting defensive about this said hostility.

Just relax and take it easy guys, we're all like minded people here with common interests.
2012 VW Golf R