Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Oh boy! I went for another drive with the Miata after it had snowed a few more inches:

This thing is a monster in the snow. I went into an unplowed parking lot with maybe 4-5 inches of powder in it and it just drifted and hauled ass everywhere. Even when I spun out, it could easily start back up and get going. I then drove to walmart to pick something up and most of the roads were unplowed. I was able to pass up SUVs and trucks without a care. It is very easy to control it; even when the back end started sliding getting it back in line was just a simple matter of adjusting the throttle. This thing is massive amounts of fun in the snow.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Speaking of winter hoonage. I was out and about a few times this weekend, doing donuts and what not in empty parking lots as there was plenty of ice. I have to admit that the stability program in the Sonic is designed very well. I purposely proceeded to try to spin out by getting into a fishtail and it was difficult to do. The system was engaging rather smoothly working individual calipers and getting the car back inline. It's not going to do miracles and will not stop all spins, of course, but it worked well and did what it was supposed to do - stop minor fishtails and spins before things got out of hand. This will work great for most drivers out there.

This system, along with traction control, is defeatable with a press of a button.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I then drove to walmart to pick something up and most of the roads were unplowed. I was able to pass up SUVs and trucks without a care. It is very easy to control it; even when the back end started sliding getting it back in line was just a simple matter of adjusting the throttle.
That's how mine is too. Perhaps RWD + studded winter tires + manual transmission + driver who's really at one with his car = good results.

Don't forget that your increased acceleration traction may not always be there for you for turning and braking though, so make sure you still have PLENTY of margin...so don't enjoy too much passing SUVs and trucks, and don't do any of it without a care.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

theholycow wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:I then drove to walmart to pick something up and most of the roads were unplowed. I was able to pass up SUVs and trucks without a care. It is very easy to control it; even when the back end started sliding getting it back in line was just a simple matter of adjusting the throttle.
That's how mine is too. Perhaps RWD + studded winter tires + manual transmission + driver who's really at one with his car = good results.

Don't forget that your increased acceleration traction may not always be there for you for turning and braking though, so make sure you still have PLENTY of margin...so don't enjoy too much passing SUVs and trucks, and don't do any of it without a care.
Wise words. I went out yesterday quite late (around 11-midnight) so there was nearly no one on the roads. Admittedly I was hooning a bit, wanted to know the limits so I wouldn't be surprised when the tail steps out in traffic. I am surely dialing it back next time the snow comes around, just wanted to know its potential.

Funny little anecdote about braking: I spent about 5 minutes just drifting around in that parking lot without really braking at all. I got onto the small street next to it and started braking for a turn. Nothing happened :lol: The snow had either cooled the brakes so much or stuffed itself everywhere that the pads were doing nothing. Needed to ride the brakes for a bit after that to get them to work properly again.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

94Corolla5Speed wrote: Funny little anecdote about braking: I spent about 5 minutes just drifting around in that parking lot without really braking at all. I got onto the small street next to it and started braking for a turn. Nothing happened :lol: The snow had either cooled the brakes so much or stuffed itself everywhere that the pads were doing nothing. Needed to ride the brakes for a bit after that to get them to work properly again.
sounds like ebrake dorifto time to me :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Hooray for random car door lock failures! Especially when it's -100º and you're only wearing shorts and a T-shirt.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

The ice we got on Friday is still around. Wreaking havoc on the morning commute
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

must find salt and attach salter to back (or front?! :twisted: ) of sonic :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Can you get a 2" hitch receiver for the Sonic?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I have an inch and a quarter hitch already on mine, but I don't want this car to ever see salt. I may not keep it for more than a few years from now but I hate salt.

Not like I can salt the entire 4 mile drive to work.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:must find salt and attach salter to back (or front?! :twisted: ) of sonic :)
Do like trains and have sand pour under the wheels as you brake.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:I have an inch and a quarter hitch already on mine, but I don't want this car to ever see salt. I may not keep it for more than a few years from now but I hate salt.

Not like I can salt the entire 4 mile drive to work.
You can, it just might take several days worth of work. But since the ice has been around closing in on a week now...

I listen to a podcast from time to time of a sports radio show. They happened to visit Dallas last week for a basketball game last Friday and the consensus was that Dallas has NO idea what to do with snow/ice - so it's far worse than any place with the faintest idea of what a salt truck is.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, yeah. Snow doesn't happen here and icing like this is very, very rare based on stats. Usually ice develops overnight when rain turns into freezing rain, but by noon it's normally all melted. This time, the cold's staying around longer and complicating the problem immensely.

It's OK. Forecast is talking about 70's by next Friday.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I think the battery in Olie is shot again. A one year old Walmart battery ftf.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Mine is 6 years old and going strong.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k