in 2009 I thought I'd have a new manual "soon"

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
rei
Junior Standardshifter

in 2009 I thought I'd have a new manual "soon"

Post by rei »

Funny how that works. I instead got a DSG Jetta at the time because I couldn't run away from "No PST for anything on the lot"

So now I'm trading that in and finally getting the stick, as I wanted all along. I'm downsizing a bit to a Honda Fit, but considering it's apparently very high revving / fun despite lack of power, can't complain about it as a first stick car.
2013 Fit Sport 5MT. Nothing looks funnier than a sticker advertising SOHC
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: in 2009 I thought I'd have a new manual "soon"

Post by ClutchDisc »

Welcome to the site! I know you've been here a few years, but you are finally making your presence known. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a fun car, post pictures when you get it!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

Will do, I learn today if I'm getting it in red or black (I said I'd take either) - I initially preferred black but hearing how hot the car gets left in the sun I wouldn't mind going alll hot hatch red now
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

From a GLI to a Fit? Fits are allegedly fun to drive, however I never drove one. It didn't appeal to me much for some reason.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

Nah I stepped down from a TDI - at the time I was going from Toronto to Ottawa every two weeks (about 1000 km round trip), so I put some faith and a lot of hipster points into getting a diesel engine. Loved the car, but parts were starting to break (fan blower, glow plugs) and VW wanted the predictable fortune to replace them - no warranty as those trips put me at 106 000 km on the car after three and a half years.

I'm not doing the Ottawa thing any more, and my commute is 20 minutes through my suburb, not so much a hassle, and a small car is great there.

I didn;'t even consider a fit while researching as I thought they were pretty damn ugly but, but sitting in one was more comfortable than a lot of other cars (I'm 6'5) and its got a lot of 'fun' factor thats hard to explain and not available in other cars at this price I actually fit in; and I found them far more attractive in real life.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm 6'7" and I very much enjoy the seating in my Sonic.

Check out the Sonic, you won't be disappointed. Look for 1.4L turbocharged 6 speed manual. It's quicker than the Fit, looks good (subjective) and gets very awesome MPG - check fuelly for the Sonic equipped with a 1.4T. Costs about the same. Offers great options such as BT connectivity, steering wheel controls, etc.

The Fit does have better inner space utlization when the rear seats come down but Sonic's not as bad as some others - like Mazda 2 - where the rears won't fold flat or don't make up flat flooring. This was important to me as my dog always rides in the back and my back seats haven't been in the upright position in months. I basically use mine like a mini truckster.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've only driven a gen 2 Fit Sport (whatever that means) with the flappy padels and an auto. I remember it being very noisy, but seeming cavernous. My mom fit, no pun intended, into it better than she did my 03 Accord Coupe, which was in for a seat track replacement at the time.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Chiba
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Chiba »

Nice and welcome fellow Torontonian