Downshifting

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Do you downshift when coming to a stop?

Always
5%
Sometimes
80%
Never
15%

Total votes: 20

Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Downshifting

Post by Boston Fit »

Do you downshift when approaching a stop sign, red light, etc.?

I don't. I just step on the brake and then put it in neutral before coming to a full stop.
Last edited by Boston Fit on Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Honda Civic Si
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Downshifting

Post by jomotopia »

It depends. If I can see that I'm going to have to stop from a decent distance away, I will usually downshift from 5 -> 4 and coast/engine brake, then stop and got to neutral from there, or continue on without ever braking if the light changes or whatever. But if it's something like going short distances between stop signs and lights I'll usually just brake in whatever gear I'm in then go to neutral
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Same as Jomo. I also look at the light timing from the other direction and if I'm familiar with the intersection's timing, I'll downshift to a lower gear and engine brake until my green comes on. When that happens, I'm already in the necessary gear and ready to roll. Make sure coast is clear and get out the gate while the other drivers are still slowing even the the light has changed to green for them. Can't tell you how often that happens. Makes me think that people aren't looking at the lights when they are stopping for them. They are probably doing the smartphone crotch stare.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

I do both depending on situation like they stated above.

It depends on whether I have to come to full stop or not. If I'm going to have to come to a complete stop then downshifting is just unnecessary clutch wear so I just coast in current gear and get into neutral before coming to a stop. That being said, sometimes I do it anyway cus its fun. lol or if I'm going downhill or uphill.
2012 VW Golf R
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Depends on the undergarments. Usually I'll just coast as far as I can and then apply the brake. If I think the light will change more quickly I'll go 5-3 so that I have enough scoot to get back up to speed if I need to. I very rarely downshift only 1 gear at a time.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Can't say yes and I can't say no. Why? Well, because sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If any poll needs a "sometimes" option, it is this one.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Yes, a sometimes option would be nice. I put yes because I do it a lot, though sometimes not through all the gears, sometimes skipping a gear or going into neutral after downshifting through one or two gears. So to me the "no" option is more or less if you usually don't do any downshifting.

Downshifting is fun! Especially coming into a hard corner needing to peel about 10 or 15 mph off the speed with a high level of engine braking. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I voted sometimes, though the vast majority of the time, it would be never. About the only time I do is if I think that I will not be stopping completely. If I know I will be stopping completely, I will put it in neutral as long as I'm using the brake, or just coast down in gear until I can't anymore, then go to neutral.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

By popular demand, a "Sometimes" option has been added. The choices are now Always/Sometimes/Never. To clarify, I had in mind situations where you are coming to a complete stop - as opposed to momentarily decelerating.

As revised, I am in the "never" camp.
2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

When coming to a complete stop - sometimes. So I've revoted based on new parameter added. I bet the vast majority here will be in the "sometimes" camp.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:When coming to a complete stop - sometimes. So I've revoted based on new parameter added. I bet the vast majority here will be in the "sometimes" camp.
I think you're right.

I don't, until I do.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I'm pretty sure that, in the FC, I was always looking for an excuse to downshift, so I probably did most of the time.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

It really depends. Most of the time I will just take my foot off the gas and let it go down to about 1,000rpm and then just throw it in neutral and brake. If there is absolutely no one behind me and I know the light will be red for awhile, I might downshift all the way.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

"Ain't no one messing with our shifters!!"
"Get yours today!!"
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
emilyk
Junior Standardshifter

Post by emilyk »

I am having a hard time thinking of a situation when I don't. Why use the brakes when I can use the natural deceleration of the engine to slow me down? Also, I live in an area that is very hilly so it is a huge help going down those big hills! Anyway, aren't you supposed to downshift?