Longtime Lurker, finally making an account

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 2SS Camaro

Re: Longtime Lurker, finally making an account

Post by beowulf80 »

AHTOXA wrote:ETA: Mine's all stock. I just picked her up last November and she's been garaged for most of the winter. I've told myself that she'll stay stock but...
I picked mine up in July, drove it for the summer and fall then garaged it for the winter as well. What were you stuck with for the winter?

The Camaro just came back out last weekend. Then today I had to drive the mighty purple Cavalier with a 2.2L and what feels like about 10HP b/c it was forecast to hail. Oh the humanity!
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beowulf80 »

theholycow wrote:Think about it: You have no need to see the side of your own car in the mirror. That's a waste of mirror.
Convince my wife of that. I know I can't...=]
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

beowulf80 wrote:When was the last time anyone caressed the dashboard? =]
Frequently. I give it a pat to encourage my car and keep its spirits up. But that leads to....

beowulf80 wrote:Question for the resident "Viggeneer" - Are all manual Saab drivers really passionate about their cars? Every one I've met has been, granted that's not a lot of people.
Most. Actually the Saab community is surprisingly large. One of the largest online presences you would never know existed. On the same scale as say Subaru, but with more different forums, a larger core group of members as a percentage, and a significantly larger international community.
The further east you go and especially in New England, the more Saabs there are and the more hardcore Saabers you will find.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:
beowulf80 wrote:When was the last time anyone caressed the dashboard? =]
Frequently. I give it a pat to encourage my car and keep its spirits up. But that leads to....
With my truck nearing 200,000 miles of abuse and neglect, I've been wanting to bolster its morale lately and have been doing that quite often. The 2002 GM truck dash, same as came on work truck base models, feels like a dash should as far as I can tell.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beowulf80 »

Personally I express my affection with my right foot. :D

Sometime I'll have to try a Saab out, I must express my ignorance on the matter. Impressive that the following is as large as the Suburu following, I know there are some passionate people out there in that camp. Small heavily boosted engines aren't really my thing. I like big, heavily boosted engines! :lol:

P.S. I love the "Viggeneer" title. I'll have to share it with my friend who owns a 9-5.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

watkins and Ritmusic2k are the two hardcore saabers on the site. they both swear by saabs and after driving my buddy's i can confidently say they are probably the best all-purpose vehicle i've ever driven, with the exception of cargo space and weight. the damn things are heavy but quiet as all hell. those are the only two reasons i dont like em. i like light cars for better fuel mileage and less sturdy frame...cause who really wants to survive a crash? i also like to hear my vehicle at all times. imo it lets me know when somethings wrong alot easier.

welcome to the site! how the hell did you get a 3000GT and not have it be stick? YOUR CRAZY (3000GT's are one of my all time favorite cars [only VR-4's though])
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Saabs arent too heavy at all, surprisingly. They are quiet. Unless you remove some bits and/or throw an open intake on them. Fuel economy is great, if you can keep yourself out of boost. But boost is addicting.

But enough about that. I require more Camaro pictures!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

beowulf80 wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:ETA: Mine's all stock. I just picked her up last November and she's been garaged for most of the winter. I've told myself that she'll stay stock but...
I picked mine up in July, drove it for the summer and fall then garaged it for the winter as well. What were you stuck with for the winter?

The Camaro just came back out last weekend. Then today I had to drive the mighty purple Cavalier with a 2.2L and what feels like about 10HP b/c it was forecast to hail. Oh the humanity!
I drove the other car in my signature - the '94 Integra.

Going from the Integra to the GTO is like going from a child's scooter to a rocket ship.

Frankly, the GTO has been out for the last nearly 3 weeks and it's currently my daily car. The only time I don't drive it is when I haul by bike around to the trail. Otherwise there's no need for me to suffer. :mrgreen:

As far as bashing - I'd never kick the Camaro SS outa bed. Noooo way. I love large displacement motors way too much to do that. In all seriousness, I see some setbacks with the car that affect me and my preferences, however it's a great car none the less!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

paul34 wrote:The "really big C pillar" thing seems to be a trend on a lot of cars these days, especially coupes. Agreed, it looks nice from the outside, but it creates a huge blind spot. I have the same situation, but I have a hatch, and most hatches have the big c pillar so I can't complain too much. It does often prevent me from making those left turns across the multi-lane, median-ed roads, though, since I can't see when I'm waiting in the middle/median lane. Well, I could if I really had to - I have to use my right hand mirror. But usually it's enoguh of a pain that I'll just turn right and find the next u-turn, or see if there's a traffic light out of the shopping center or neighborhood I'm trying to get out of.
Yeah, coupes and two-door hatchbacks suffer from the "large cpillaritis" quite often and the goat's not an exception. I can't see out of the back either so I always drive and park using the mirrors. Doesn't bother me.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beowulf80 »

LHOswald wrote:welcome to the site! how the hell did you get a 3000GT and not have it be stick? YOUR CRAZY (3000GT's are one of my all time favorite cars [only VR-4's though])
If I'd had a choice, it would have been stick and a VR-4. I bought the car from a neighbor for $1500. It was his wife's car; she had gone to a Mercedes and hadn't driven it for almost a year. The car would not reliably start and they were not mechanically inclined in the least. Turns out the starter had a dead section of winding. $300 of parts and labor later and it was good as new. I really, really loved that car. Unfortunatly after several years stuff started failing, and repair bills were crazy! $600 for tires. $500 for the section of exhaust pipe that Y'ed the banks together (it did not have true dual exhaust). $400 bucks when the tie-rod snapped! Yeah that was scary as hell, thankfully happened at slow speed. Anti-lock brake ECM failed, I let that one go. Headlight frames were starting to rust. Paint was getting thin at spots. I just saw even more huge bills coming so I had to let it go. The dealer offered me $2K for the trade-in and had the Impala SS on the lot. They only came in black, with an automatic. Sticker price for it was 33K, but it had 2500 miles on it. Previous owner was a GM exec. They offered it to me at 20K. Too good a deal to pass up, but I do still miss my 3000GT. Just so many freakin cool things that even modern cars don't do. Case in point: At certain cool ambient temps (spring / fall) the automatic HVAC would turn on the heater vents on the floor and blow cool outside air from the dash vents. It sounds like nothing, but I swear it made cruising on a fall day a dream.

It was time for a new car, as the Cavalier only has a limited time left. This time around no matter what I was gonna get stick!
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beowulf80 »

watkins wrote:But enough about that. I require more Camaro pictures!
What would you like to see? I do have a couple fun ones...

This was supposed to show the total milage at only 20 miles (it was 12 when I picked it up) However everyone notices something else! I actually average about 18 mpg, most of my driving is short-trip though. I've gotten 26 on the interstate.

Or this one of the tiny amount trunk room

With the GM cold-air intake
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

so....much....torque....
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

beowulf80 wrote:But at least he's got a usable back seat!

*wink wink, nudge nudge!*

Welcome brother, and nice ride!
I saw the word "Cavalier". I am this forums resident Crapolier guru. Feel free to seek Cavy enlightenment from my stores of knowledge at any time.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

That trunk cant even hold a bag of clubs, can it? I dont even golf but I require at least that much space just for the shit I always carry with me.
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beowulf80 »

Ok, Cavalier question: How does one look cool in a Cavalier? I tried for a couple months, no luck. Maybe it was the purple paint. =]

Yes, you can get golf clubs in the trunk. In fact I've had 2 sets, 2 sets of shoes, and a small folding pull cart cart in the trunk. All without dropping the folding rear seat. It was VERY full.
2 tricks to do it: First, you need to angle the bottom of the clubs through the opening first, push the base into the wide corner and then carefully swing the head end in. Push to the front, repeat for the second set. Also, if you have a long club (like I do) for a driver, you have to take this out first and store outside of the bag. But I had to do this second step for the Impala too, so not exactly out of the ordinary there.