America cannot elect a Celebrity over a War Hero: Plz read

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: America cannot elect a Celebrity over a War Hero: Plz read

Post by Bawked »

To the topic "America cannot elect a Celebrity over a War Hero" well they did. fail :lol:
<3 fwd
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

wow. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but just reading around forums and stuff, and talking with people that i *thought* i knew, it seems that many peoples true colors have come out this night.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

JackBauer wrote:wow. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but just reading around forums and stuff, and talking with people that i *thought* i knew, it seems that many peoples true colors have come out this night.
Hah, I specifically avoided talking about politics these past few weeks. It just makes life easier, because most conversations that have to do with politics end up getting really heated, unless you agree with the other person(s).

But yeah, on facebook and in other ways I "came out"( :lol: ) as an Obama supporter. I noticed that a lot of my friends did the same thing even if they were completely un-political before.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

JackBauer wrote:wow. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but just reading around forums and stuff, and talking with people that i *thought* i knew, it seems that many peoples true colors have come out this night.
My final proof to know Obama would win:

The kids elected him in Nick News' and Scholastic Magazine's traditional mock elections. In the past 40 years, the kids have been wrong twice. One of those times was the Bush/Gore fiasco, when they still managed to pick the popular vote winner. I wont go into the whole Gore should have won thing, but I will congratulate Florida for doing a good job this time :lol:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

woohoo! :mrgreen:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

watkins wrote:
My final proof to know Obama would win:

The kids elected him in Nick News' and Scholastic Magazine's traditional mock elections. In the past 40 years, the kids have been wrong twice. One of those times was the Bush/Gore fiasco, when they still managed to pick the popular vote winner. I wont go into the whole Gore should have won thing, but I will congratulate Florida for doing a good job this time :lol:
I was actually amazed. Florida voted blue...the only other times I've ever known Florida to vote blue is when the Republican candidate was a dill-weed (ie: Bob Dole).
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

Nychold wrote: I was actually amazed. Florida voted blue...the only other times I've ever known Florida to vote blue is when the Republican candidate was a dill-weed (ie: Sarah Palin).
I corrected that for you :wink:
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Trev
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Jetta 00'

Post by Trev »

Quite a change from 1984:

Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

Which was quite a change from 1964: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... tion,_1964
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I just watched Obama's acceptance speech. At times he reminds me of Lincoln. His short statements pack a lot of punch, and he has no use for fluffy wording.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Unfortunately that may be true. And I dont know enough about Biden as of now to be comfortable.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Mazda3 i Touring 6MT

Post by charbs152 »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:Regarding the opinions of the people on this forum, I am surprised and then I am not surprised. I thought that the majority of the people here would vote for the more conservative of the two candidates. I myself will vote for McCain because I am a hardcore republican conservative and the fact that Obama simply scares the sh*t out of me...

Reasons for McCain:
1-History of Military service
2-Plan for national security
3-Will not simply pull out of Iraq
4-Will not ruin gun laws
5-Harsher on border security
6-Will be more stern on relations with Iran and China
7-Will oppose gay marriage
8- Palin is friggin HOTTTTT !! lol

Reasons to not vote for McCain:
1-A little bit of a hothead
2-He's old, and Palin, while ranking very high on the stroke-a-bility scale and somewhat competent, is not ready for presidency
3- He will not inspire like Obama can

Reasons NOT for Obama:
1-VERY unpatriotic- will not wear flag lapel pin, will not respect the national anthem with hand over heart, he and his wife make it very known that they are not proud to be Americans.
2-VERY anti-white -he refused to condemn the words of his racist pastor even though he claimed that he did not share his ideals.
3-Says whatever the people want to hear
4-Makes promises of change and claims and never once setting a CLEAR plan to achieve said change and hope.
5-Plays off of peoples desire for change and emotions in order to get better ratings in the polls
6-He was voted the most liberal senator
7-Instead of taking a stand on an issue, he simply voted "present". This was documented over 100 times. This adds to my claims that he will simply say whatever the people want to hear. I have no time for someone like that.
8- He has no problems with communication with known terrorists if elected
9-Muslim Heratige. Yes, I know that he is not a practicing muslim, but he did go to a muslim school for several years and has muslim family members and no matter what anyone says, Islam is not what its members say it it.
10-Bad for gun laws
11-Will not oppose gay marriage to the extent that McCain will.
12- Obama is more of a celebrity than a serious politician in my opinion, and seeing as how America is a celebrity/media dominated country, people are falling for this hook, line, and sinker.

Reasons to vote FOR Obama
1: Fantastic speaker
2: Greater chance of success to aid economic problems in the short term future
3: Inspires like few presidential candiates in recent memory could ever have
4: Biden, while a shady guy in my opinion, has much more experience than Palin at this time.

CONCLUSION: Seeing as how the positives outweigh the negatives by far favoring McCain, in my opinion, and thus he will be receiving my vote in November. However I will state that I am sad that these two candidates are the best that our great country could come up with. McCain would be awesome with Huckabee or Romney by his side. Huckabee was awesome but he just needed to grow a pair, and I would be very enthusiastic about Romney as a VP but not president because I doubt his ability to let the Mormon church higher-ups influence his presidential decisions makes me nervous too. Seeing as how this is a free country I will be happy to debate with people who do not agree with my but refuse to flame based on opinion so please return the favor and respect my opinion as well.
I will be deeply disturbed and ashamed of my country if we elect a celebrity who is good with words over a decorated, seasoned war hero.

100% agree

what also pisses me off is all of the African community who have never voted once in their life. they are just now registering to vote so they can vote for obama because hes black. they dont even care what he stands for except hes black. to me thats just as wrong as not voting for him because hes black. why can people just vote for the most qualifies person and not make it a race/sex war all of the time.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

charbs152 wrote:what also pisses me off is all of the African community who have never voted once in their life. they are just now registering to vote so they can vote for obama because hes black. they dont even care what he stands for except hes black. to me thats just as wrong as not voting for him because hes black. why can people just vote for the most qualifies person and not make it a race/sex war all of the time.
How about you know... The majority population (white people) registering to vote because he stands for a positive change. I promise you, the first-time eligible voter crowd (18-21) is what made the biggest difference, not the African-American community. But if they want a black president in office because they feel he will help them, thats just fine. Im sure you experienced exactly what it was like to be black in our country for most of its history and have that as part of your personal and group identity. :roll:

As for qualifications, his are by far the better of the two candidates. Theyre called a different perspective and not being a "fiscal conservative"
America needs a new direction. Obama is far more likely to steer it towards one than McCain.
Last edited by watkins on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Mazda3 i Touring 6MT

Post by charbs152 »

paul34 wrote:
charbs152 wrote:
100% agree

what also pisses me off is all of the African community who have never voted once in their life. they are just now registering to vote so they can vote for obama because hes black. they don't even care what he stands for except hes black. to me that's just as wrong as not voting for him because hes black. why cant people just vote for the most qualified person and not make it a race/sex war all of the time.
And you don't have a problem with the people who did not vote for Obama simply because he "is a Muslim" or more succinctly, because he is half black?

I think that what pisses you off more is the fact that there are many black people who will vote from now on, and you feel threatened. Well welcome to the US of A, buddy, and many people have finally realized that hey, maybe I should vote as it is my DUTY as an American.

This is how progress is made.

Now I will say that I am pretty annoyed by all the Afro American people jumping up and down saying basically YES FINALLY A BLACK BROTHER IN OFFICE. It is obvious that they only voted for him because he was black. Those people are no better than the people who voted for McCain just because he wasn't black or had a "strange" name.

did you not read what i wrote!!!!????

what pisses me off is when people vote based on race or sex and they don't care what the candidate stands for other than race/sex

personally i am a republican so i would not have voted for him, but if he was a republican i would have no problem. i will never support a democrat. that sucks considering i live in NY, which goes blue every election.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

charbs152 wrote:what pisses me off is when people vote based on race or sex and they don't care what the candidate stands for other than race/sex
To reiterate what Paul34 said, welcome to the US of A. Very few people here either care or have time to keep up with politics and what those people stand for. They vote because he's black, he's white, he's old, he's young, or just as bad:
charbs152 wrote:personally i am a republican so i would not have voted for him, but if he was a republican i would have no problem. i will never support a democrat. that sucks considering i live in NY, which goes blue every election.
So if he was Republican, but had all the same ideas and beliefs, you'd vote for him? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.