Video Game Racing

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

^^Exactly.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

For those of you that think a button controller is more realistic than a wheel controller, you just haven't tried a proper wheel controller.

All of those cheap 200 degree wheels are awful, and if that's what you were using, I agree with you. However, the 900 degree force feedback wheels are something else entirely. They make games like GT4 MUCH more realistic, once you've taken the time to learn the game with a proper wheel. I've heard going from a controller to even a good wheel can be difficult to adapt to. BUT, going from an automatic to a manual is difficult for a newb manual driver as well. In both of these situations, if you spend the effort to make the transition, it will be very rewarding.

To those that say GT4 is too easy, tell me that after you've got Gold in every single license test and challenge. It took me forever, and it wasn't easy!

If you really want a good driving simulation experience, step up to GTR2 or rFactor. Very good physics and adjustability.

Using a fully manual transmission in a driving sim has very little interest to me. You get to the point where shifting is subconscious, so using a sequential shifter in a driving sim is fairly natural.

I use a Logitech Dual Force Pro for everything right now and I like it quite a bit. I may eventually step up to the G25, but only for the build quality. The clutch and gated shifter don't do much for me.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

GarySheehan wrote:For those of you that think a button controller is more realistic than a wheel controller, you just haven't tried a proper wheel controller.

All of those cheap 200 degree wheels are awful, and if that's what you were using, I agree with you. However, the 900 degree force feedback wheels are something else entirely. They make games like GT4 MUCH more realistic, once you've taken the time to learn the game with a proper wheel. I've heard going from a controller to even a good wheel can be difficult to adapt to. BUT, going from an automatic to a manual is difficult for a newb manual driver as well. In both of these situations, if you spend the effort to make the transition, it will be very rewarding.

To those that say GT4 is too easy, tell me that after you've got Gold in every single license test and challenge. It took me forever, and it wasn't easy!

If you really want a good driving simulation experience, step up to GTR2 or rFactor. Very good physics and adjustability.

Using a fully manual transmission in a driving sim has very little interest to me. You get to the point where shifting is subconscious, so using a sequential shifter in a driving sim is fairly natural.

I use a Logitech Dual Force Pro for everything right now and I like it quite a bit. I may eventually step up to the G25, but only for the build quality. The clutch and gated shifter don't do much for me.
Wow, you can go race real cars on a real track and you still play games like GT4?

And yeah, I agree. The controller is better than most wheels available. Most steering wheels I've tried felt really cheap and flimsy, they'd move around a lot, etc. I can see how a much more expensive wheel would do better though.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Hey, even people like Gary Sheehan still do not get to drive all the different cars he would like to in real life. GT4 allows him to.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

which is why i want Jeremy Clarkson's job :P
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

jomotopia wrote:which is why i want Jeremy Clarkson's job :P
+ 1 billion
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

GarySheehan wrote:If you really want a good driving simulation experience, step up to GTR2 or rFactor. Very good physics and adjustability.
Have you played both GTR2 and rFactor? If so, which would you recommend? I'm probably going to buy the Logitech G25 and one of those games to occupy my 1-month break between semesters of school.

To anyone else who has played both of those, give me your opinion also!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^^ Both are good, rfactor has quite a big community and I find it more realistic thus the reason I play it more. Love the cars I can download on both games, rfactor is more online based though and there are tons of mods.
<3 fwd
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Whoa, check out what I just found-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUIkkcSHHw0

That looks so crazy and yet so awesome... but I don't think it'd have much WAF. :wink:
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

FM2

Post by Ecmslee »

Nice, Road Atlanta and the Audi R8 are coming to Forza 2 in the DLC tomorrow!
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I forgot about this thread. I bought a Logitech G25 and GTR2 and have been playing quite a bit. It's awesome!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

Sell your car to afford it ? :wink:
<3 fwd
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

ouch thats hitting below the belt
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Bawked wrote:Sell your car to afford it ? :wink:
No kidding, it was very expensive, but worth it. I am having to stick to a very tight budget for the next few months now because of it :P . It's no more financially damaging than having a girlfriend :wink: .
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

Haha... G25 or GF which one to choose!!?! :lol:

Sorry b1atch the g25 is in!! you're out! :lol:

j/k g25s aren't better than GF's .. just most :wink:
<3 fwd