Video Game Racing

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Solotw
Senior Standardshifter

Video Game Racing

Post by Solotw »

Guys,

I'm thinking about getting me one o' them fancy video game racing wheels.

I gotta ps2 so I was thinking maybe I should not buy one as I MAY get a next-gen console in the future (probably like a year).

But anyways do any of you guys have one of these? If you do which one? And how do you like it / dislike it?

GT4 will be sexy if I do get one.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Video Game Racing

Post by watkins »

I gots me one.

Its a slush (pleh!) It only works on some games, and even then its frequently a lot easier to use the joysticks or D-pad. The biggest issue I have is setting it up on something so that it actually stays in place and feels even a bit like a car to use.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

I bought the Microsoft Wireless one for my 360. $120, and I've used it twice. They're worthless, IMHO.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Logitech G25 is the best steering wheel. Get the g25 and you can play games on ps2 and pc. PC has Live for speed, GTR 2, etc which support analog clutch and are nice realistic games. Wait and buy a ps3, i'm sure there will be a gt5 pack and the g25 will work for that.
<3 fwd
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

Logitech had a set with 3 pedals and a real 5/6-speed shifter.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i got some no brand name steering wheel and pedals from a friend, tried playing GT4 with them, and they straight up blew

steering wheel and pedals were on/off. you could watch the throttle bar in GT4 when you added gas, it was all the way down, then over like 1/4" it jumped all the way up. steering was the same. it was unplayable. so back to the dualshock i went

but the wheel and pedals were free, my friend had them laying in his basement, so wut the hell, cant complain

and on a side note, i have a set of PS2 pedals and wheel for sale. 30 dollars shipped.
lol not
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Solotw
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Solotw »

^ :lol:

Well... You guys have successfully crushed my dream...

:lol: jk

I suppose I shall hold off on this one then, from my own research I have found that the ps2 Logitech Driving Force Pro has a SEQUENTIAL stick shift, which means you pull down to upshift and push up to downshift ONE GEAR AT A TIME. pFFFFFFT no thanks.

yeah the g25 has a six speed gear shift, with GATED gears, sexay.

In a year or two I'll probably get one of those lol.

They better have games for consoles with realistic clutches by then.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

Solotw wrote:^ :lol:
6 gears + reverse?

Can it ALSO do sequential?

It would suck if you're driving something with 7+ gears D:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Solotw wrote:They better have games for consoles with realistic clutches by then.
Are you joking? In two years, there won't even be racing games with the option for manual cars, cuz no one will know what they're doing. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Here's a detailed review of the G25-
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_099a.html
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

itd take a very advanced console to be able to handle a game with a true clutch function and do it right.
NFSU2 had a clutch command, but it didnt do crap. when you pushed it it was like clutching in, but you didnt even have to bother asigning a button to it. it was just there for the checkmark.

it would take a console able to fully communicate with the wheel/pedals/shifter both ways to work. it would take moveable plates and actuators in every gear gate to act like synchros, or block you from shifting when the clutch is not in.
even more advanced would be for the game to monitor the engines rpms and loads to allow you to shift out of gear when the motor is unloaded, and to enable clutchless shifting. it would be easy for the computer to figure out when to open the gear gate because it could figure out the rev match rpms mathematically.

it would be a very advanced system, im tempted to say 'way ahead of current game/console/controller intercativity' but im not too sure on that. it would almost take a standalone system for those types of games to work, because i doubt that 360 or ps3 are that advanced

but damn, what a fine game something like Gran Turismo (insert advanced title here) would be. a game that comes about as close to full stick shift simulation as tecnhology allows

and speaking of 7 gear cars, i have this car in GT4, its called Nike2022. its made by nike, it looke like a tiny spaceship, its electric and has 8 gears. insane acceleration, superclose gearing and top speed of around 150. its sweet
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I bet they've considered it, but the simple fact is, how many people are going to want to play a video game where you have to be a fully competent manual driver? Probably less than the amount of people who actually drive manuals, because I know people who drive manuals, who wish they had autos.

there just insn't a large enough market out there for what it would cost to produce.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Solotw
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Solotw »

why you guys gotta shit all over my dreams?
Solotw
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Solotw »

StrangeWill wrote:
Solotw wrote:^ :lol:
6 gears + reverse?

Can it ALSO do sequential?

It would suck if you're driving something with 7+ gears D:
Yeah man it can also do sequential.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Solotw wrote:why you guys gotta quit all over my dreams?
and mine too!

haha, I just pwned my own dream. lol.

I'd love to be able to practice drifiting and stuff without destroying my own car.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs