is Smooth or quick shifting better?

1320 feet of adrenaline
raydawg
Junior Standardshifter

is Smooth or quick shifting better?

Post by raydawg »

just curious for racing is better to be smooth with the shifts or really quick?

because in the situation where your taking the RPM's almost to redline...when you shift and want to rev match for smoothness then you need to wait a bit for the RPM's to drop which im assuming might slow down your times.
but if you just shift fast and not wait on the rev's to drop then its quicker....but then you over-reved.

which is better for racing?
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

whatever is faster is better for racing.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

shifting as fast as possible would be better. in a straight line acceleration, the surge from the revs being higher would help your time i think.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Azrael »

To go faster the shifts will be harsher. Smooth shifts are usually for slower acceleration. The ultimate would be powershifting, but get really used to your car before attempting; as things tend to break if you get it wrong... :oops:
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Azrael wrote:To go faster the shifts will be harsher. Smooth shifts are usually for slower acceleration. The ultimate would be powershifting, but get really used to your car before attempting; as things tend to break if you get it wrong... :oops:
*raises eyebrows* :?:
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Azrael »

comingbackdown wrote:
Azrael wrote:To go faster the shifts will be harsher. Smooth shifts are usually for slower acceleration. The ultimate would be powershifting, but get really used to your car before attempting; as things tend to break if you get it wrong... :oops:
What I meant was quick shifts for racing. :oops:
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

comingbackdown wrote:
heh yeah... gotta have good synchros for powershifting, but that DEFINATELY makes a HUGE difference in accelleration.
hope you don't like your clutch. or your tranny... tires... rear/front axle... driveshaft... etcedra
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Powershifting is for stupos who like to break things. You can get there just as fast not doing it, it just takes a little more skill.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

tehfade wrote:Powershifting is for stupos who like to break things. You can get there just as fast not doing it, it just takes a little more skill.
ha, you haven't mastered it have you?

gives me a nice satisfying tire scratch into 4th gear, and throws my passenger harshly into their seat. no way you can get that as easily without keeping your RPMS wicked high, thus "go" pedal down all the way :twisted:
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Why the hell would I WANT to master it? Sure it's cool, but it doesn't get you there any faster, so why do it unless you want to show off?
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

Hah well if you wanna see some powershifting watch like fast and the furious (number 2 i think)... it's disgusting :shock:
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Its easy to powershift when you're driving a slush with some cosmetic enhancements. :wink:
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

watkins wrote:Its easy to powershift when you're driving a slush with some cosmetic enhancements. :wink:
And a fake pedal :P
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

tehfade wrote:Why the hell would I WANT to master it? Sure it's cool, but it doesn't get you there any faster, so why do it unless you want to show off?
don't get me wrong, pal. it doesn't help in daily driving, but we're in the drag racing part of the forums, so i assume the topic of "maxing speed" is appropriate.
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

Haha I love how in the beginning of this scene how the guy in the eclipse just SLAMS the shifter its like there was no resistance at all :lol:
And at 53 seconds how the guy sees him coming up and then floors his car, yeah like he wasnt already. And the nitrous always gets me too. :mrgreen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUm3BzHa508
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)