Computer Assistance Please

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:
eaglecatcher wrote:
NonChalant wrote:Eh, you don't need more RAM. Linux runs fine with whatever you have. Just make your swap partition big (a gig at least).

I ran gentoo linux on my old p500something with 128mb of ram. Smoother and more reliable than my new windows desktop.
grrr. this version of ubuntu requires 384MB of ram. wtf.

so now I gotta figure out another solution. I'm going linux for sure. How hard is gentoo to use?
Eh. Gentoo is the easiest and the hardest distro to use. I wouldn't really recommend it to you as a first-time user. You can try some version of fedora or mandrake or maybe debian, but debian is a little harder than the others as well.

That said, I used Gentoo as my first distro with very little knowledge, so it's possible to get into linux like that. But you've got to be really willing to learn and make mistakes and spend a lot of time on simple tasks :P After all that work though, you'll really be an expert.

If you want an easy, user-friendly distro, go for fedora or mandrake.
What about MEPISLite? I did some digging, and its designed for older machines with like 20gig hard drives, 128MB of RAM, and currently running win98. Sounds like it was made for that computer
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Never heard of MEPIS or MEPISLite. Might sound ideal, but I doubt it'll be as user-friendly as Mandrake or Fedora, which has huge backings in the open source community.

All your choice though! :P

You could also try a linux system from scratch (i.e. compile everything yourself). It'll take forever on that old system but will be the most ideal and bare bones as you make it for that old box.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:Never heard of MEPIS or MEPISLite. Might sound ideal, but I doubt it'll be as user-friendly as Mandrake or Fedora, which has huge backings in the open source community.

You could also try a linux system from scratch (i.e. compile everything yourself). It'll take forever on that old system but will be the most ideal and bare bones as you make it for that old box.
lol. me, make a linux system?

pfft. No way in hell I coudl do that.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

eaglecatcher wrote:
NonChalant wrote:Never heard of MEPIS or MEPISLite. Might sound ideal, but I doubt it'll be as user-friendly as Mandrake or Fedora, which has huge backings in the open source community.

it's actually a lot easier than it sounds: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Check out the "why" page here
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:
eaglecatcher wrote:

it's actually a lot easier than it sounds: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Check out the "why" page here
hmm, I may do that. Sounds like something interesting, and woudl probably get me major bonus points in my computer science class. lol
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

If you do decide to embark on the lfs journey, don't say I didn't warn you :P

It's tedious, unnecessary, annoying, and takes forever.
But when you're done you'll know how everything works.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:If you do decide to embark on the lfs journey, don't say I didn't warn you :P

k, nvm. lol

I"m just gonna download mandriva and put that to work.

it better work...

otherwise i'm gonna have to return this fancy new keyboard. lol
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

eaglecatcher wrote:
NonChalant wrote:If you do decide to embark on the lfs journey, don't say I didn't warn you :P

k, nvm. lol

I"m just gonna download mandriva and put that to work.

it better work...

otherwise i'm gonna have to return this fancy new keyboard. lol
Heh. it's been a while. I wasn't even aware that they had a name change :P

Good luck with that. If none of those "easy" distros work out for you then I'd say give gentoo a go (that's the distro I first started out with on a pc with similar specs).

If you absolutely hate that, return the keyboard and put win98 back on it; linux isn't for you :P
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I really want ubuntu. i wonder if there is anywhere I can get an older version that will run off of 128MB of ram.

But I'm working on it at the moment, its downloading from the mirror (mandriva).
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

eaglecatcher wrote:I really want ubuntu. i wonder if there is anywhere I can get an older version that will run off of 128MB of ram.

But I'm working on it at the moment, its downloading from the mirror (mandriva).
Ubuntu isn't really anything special. Most distros are the same, after all they're all still linux. Just the tools and stuff are different and the default looks.

The only thing you might miss from Ubuntu using Mandrake is a software management tool called "apt."

I don't get why Ubuntu requires a certain amount of RAM. It might be more bloated than I originally thought.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:
eaglecatcher wrote:I really want ubuntu. i wonder if there is anywhere I can get an older version that will run off of 128MB of ram.

Ubuntu isn't really anything special. Most distros are the same, after all they're all still linux. Just the tools and stuff are different and the default looks.

The only thing you might miss from Ubuntu using Mandrake is a software management tool called "apt."

I don't get why Ubuntu requires a certain amount of RAM. It might be more bloated than I originally thought.
I dunno, fedora requires like 192MB of ram. I could have run the text version of ubuntu, but I dunno, is that like DOS, or is it like windows 95/98 or something?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

nothfx wrote:
Nychold wrote:All operating systems suck, in some respect or other. Linux sucks for ease of use, Windows sucks for stability, Mac sucks for both. :lol:
Eh, linux doesn't really suck for ease of use anymore (unless you plan to try and install some windows progs....), and windows is far more reliable than it used to be :)

mac, well mac has some fanboys for sure.
When Linux works right, I agree. It's not that difficult to work with. The problem with Linux is the open source loons out there. They write something, through it into the distribution, then brag that "DOOD! I'm in the new distribution of **** Linux!" They don't test it, they don't make sure it works, and although it works on THEIR machine, it's garbage on everyone else's. (Yeah, I've been there...mostly in Linux 64 bit.)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

eaglecatcher, Ubuntu uses gnome which uses a bit of resources so switch it out for a light weight windows manager fluxbox is one iirc, another is iceWM info about it and some others here: http://www.linux.com/articles/37552 and for how to do it http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/changeman.html.

Hope this helps on the quest to getting Ubuntu to work, also when your addicted to Linux and want to setup a power box :p search "beryl" on youtube to see what your linux desktop can be like.
<3 fwd
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

You could try Xubuntu. Xubuntu is an officially supported version of Ubuntu that uses the more lightweight Xfce desktop. The webpage for Xubuntu is here-
http://www.xubuntu.org/
and you can get the iso's and see the system requirements here-
http://www.xubuntu.org/get

Hope that helps.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I've got Mandriva installing at the moment. Hopefully it will work. It does look promising though, its working.

I'm gonna need a new monitor, but then again, I can always just get a used projector for my birthday, and use that as my monitor and play on the ceiling or something.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs