Xbox 360 - STAY AWAY

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Xbox 360 - STAY AWAY

Post by jomotopia »

ok, if any of you that don't already have one are thinking about picking up an xbox 360, don't bother.

i got mine right after launch. it worked pretty well until about 6 weeks ago when it gave me the dreaded 3 red lights.

i called up MS xbox support (aka 1 800 india) and the first moron that i talked to didn't even bother to look up my serial number that i gave him and immediately told me the console was not under warranty b/c of the purchase date and that i would have to pay $130 to fix it.

well it was under warranty b/c it was made before 1/1/06. i called back later and got someone who actually knew what they were doing and they put in the warranty repair and sent me the box to send it to the service center.

a couple of days later i got the box and sent it off.

about 2 weeks later i called for status. they said they had received it but that was all the information they had and to call back in 48 hours or more.

a week after that i called back. they said they showed the repair center had had it for 10 days, but they didn't have any other updated status. they put an email to the center to expedite it and told me to call back in 3 to 5 days.

every time i called i was on hold for over 30 minutes, and the last time i called i was on the phone for almost an hour and a half total.

finally i got it back this past thursday. over 4 weeks.

they didn't repair mine, they gave me a replacement console. the replacement console is also a damn launch console, made even before the one that i sent in. so my replacement was older than the other one and very likely refurbished.

so i've been playing it since i got it back, and today the damn thing gave me the damn 3 lights again! it didn't even last 3 days!

this is just sad and pathetic. i am so pissed off. now i am going to have to send this one back. wait probably another 4 to 6 weeks to get another console and who knows how long that one will last. i am going to attempt to demand that i get a NEW console, not one that's already almost 2 years old.

cliff notes: pony up the extra cash and get a PS3 instead.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

paul34 wrote:red ring of death?

Maybe try to get another replacement, pass it off to someone on eBay (don't play it), then get the cash and try for something else.
problem is i've got like $400 or more worth of 360 games. and i do thoroughly enjoy playing Forza 2 and Oblivion. and there is no way i'm going to start Oblivion over on another platform, i'm way too far into it.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

also i forgot to mention that they have the WORST MUSIC i have ever heard on hold. it is HIGHLY annoying. i guess some people might like it but i can't stand it.

i'm on hold right now. have been since the original post. :?
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Post by buster »

I just bought one of these last Monday. I picked it up with Forza 2. My co-worker also gave me his used Madden '07 and Call Of Duty 2. To tell you the truth, I'm bored to death with it already. Video games really aren't for me...
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

buster wrote:I just bought one of these last Monday. I picked it up with Forza 2. My co-worker also gave me his used Madden '07 and Call Of Duty 2. To tell you the truth, I'm bored to death with it already. Video games really aren't for me...
then sell it before it inevitably dies. or give it to me for charity, apparently i need to keep a backup around. :roll:
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

There was a lot of talk about them overheating. Try placing it in an area with good airflow, and make sure the Power Brick (tm) gets the same special treatment. Maybe it'll help matters. An external fan might be a good idea if you can manage doing so.
2013 Mazda 3
Driving stick since mid-`07
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

hmm, well it has come back to life.... for now.

i had the old one in the same position for over a year and never had any issues with it until it suddenly started freezing and then died (right after an update from xbox live coincidentally (or not)).

but i am going to try and get it set up with some better airflow, we'll see. if this one keeps dying, even if it keeps coming back to life, i'm going to be trying to get a brand new one from them. i just can't believe they replaced mine with one that's even older. :roll:
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

My 360 keeps shutting itself off, and sometimes, in the middle of the night, it turns itself on.
The first time it did it, it was like 3:30 in the morning, and it turned itself on and i heard it fire up and i saw green lights, so i thought it was a mugga fuggin UFO or something because it sounded like a UFO boosting its engine up, so i fu<king ran w/ all my might and kicked it against the wall and ran back to my bed and hid under the covers but it was still on. My room is in the basement so no one could here me scream if i tried, i calmed myself down and walked slowly to the xbox and shut it off and went to sleep..untill 5 minutes later it did the same thing again!
I'm not getting any flashing red lights, but its defective and Microsoft wants 100 bones to fix it..How can i screw my 360 up so it gets red lights
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

I HATE dealing with warranties. Its the worst deal in the world, you end up sending the thing off for a month to get fixed and then it barely works. I never go for extended warranties.

I'll just say I'm happy with my ps3. No problems with it so far. After my experiences with my original xbox I wouldn't touch a 360, the thing would ALWAYS break.
sms52
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sms52 »

I know what you're going through. I got the three red a few months ago and got it fixed under warrenty. Now the disc drive is giving me trouble and they want $100 to fix it...which I don't see the point in doing since It'll probably screw up too. It really is the worst built system I've ever owned. Already have a Wii, so I'm thinking of getting a PS3 soon.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

no problems with my 6 year old PS2 other than weird noises from the cd drive, knock on wood :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
DW10+BE4/5L
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DW10+BE4/5L »

There are a lot of videos on Youtube that show how you can fix a RRoD. The method utilized in http://youtube.com/watch?v=cIARuzFOExc might also help you relieve some anger.

It is told that this is how they fix them at Microsoft.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

heres how we used to fix stuff back in Ukraine
hit it til it starts working
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Maybe I just haven't had my Xbox 360 for very long, but aside from the occasional lockup and shutdown during Enchanted Arms and Fable (which seemed to be fixed with AC), I haven't had one problem. Of course, I waited for about a year before buying one. :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

videogames too expensive, and the downloaded ones dont work online.

i am getting nascar 08 when it comeso out in a week tho, ill actually spend money on that.
americas army is the other game i play every once in a while, its a great game, and its free. and you dont have 5 year old run and gun idiots playing on their moms dell in americas army.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT