Driving Ambitions!

coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

That was almost 3 years ago wasn't it :?: I doubt they had the story posted online EVEN at that time though. I do know that story was covered in the Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

I'm gonna drive on Autobahn in the upcoming summer :D Doubt it will be a Corvette though, but whatever I'll get (rental car), I will push it to the limit. Finally, I will be driving on a normal motorway with normal traffic signs with normal drivers with... eh-hh ... without being afraid of getting caught.

Here's my destiny:

P.S. I am so f.ucking tired of all "God bless USA" soccer moms and bunch of other over-patriotic redneck a.ssholes who abuse our roads everyday. Sometimes, I wish our driving exams were much more difficult just to filter all that garbage.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

@peterbilt: GO, GO, GO :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted:
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

"Normal" :!: Hehe...
Peterbilt, where is that in the pic by the way :?: And u like cussing/cursing in your posts a lot huh :lol: :lol:?
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

coolguy wrote:"Normal" :!: Hehe...
You got a problem with Europe? 8) As far as I've heard, their traffic system is much more superior to ours. Well, it's time to check it out by myself.
Peterbilt, where is that in the pic by the way :?:
I don't know. It's definitely along A4 though.
And u like cussing/cursing in your posts a lot huh :lol: :lol:?
No, I don't like to curse, but sometimes you can't keep it with yourself. Yesterday, I almost hit two cars that were turning from a secondary road. Is it so hard to wait extra 10 seconds and turn in an appropriate way? Why do we have millions of STOP signs if no one follows them? :roll:
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:shock: Not just the stop signs but the speed limit signs as well :lol:! And yes I asked myself the same questions YEARS ago :mrgreen:.
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

coolguy wrote::shock: Not just the stop signs but the speed limit signs as well :lol:!
Well.... Speed limit is a different story :mrgreen:

And yes I asked myself the same questions YEARS ago :mrgreen:.
Oh, I see where you're going with this. You mean you are more experienced than me, huh? :D
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:lol: Well I won't say "more" but how about "about the same" experienced :mrgreen:.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

well stop signs well.. if follwed help prevent accidents... i'd think those who didn't follow the signs will after their accidents
:twisted:
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

ReckLess wrote:well stop signs well.. if follwed help prevent accidents... i'd think those who didn't follow the signs will after their accidents
You see, my little friend, STOP signs aren't always useful. In Europe, for instance, there is not a lot of such signs but rather PRIORITY ROAD and YIELD ones; however, people follow them and don''t get in troubles. Here, on the other hand, we may have a STOP sign in the middle of nowhere, yet people manage to run them and get tickets. Our DOT indeed has to learn a lot of stuff from their overseas colleagues.
Irish_Guy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Irish_Guy »

The problem here is the mix of stop signs and yield signs. At a stop sign you have to stop even if you are in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. At a Yield sign you give way to traffic on your right, we drive on the left. Yield signs make perfect sense. Roundabouts are also good. Where roads cross with heavy traffic, traffic lights should be used. 80 percent of drivers here yield at stop signs, 15 percent seem to ignore them totally. When you are learning to drive and some other driver fails to stop at a stop sign intersecting a road your on, it forces you to hit the brakes hard throwing the instructor against the dash board :lol: If there were no stop signs there would be no confusion and we all could yield when needed.
Push it and see!
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

I have been driving for 11 years and I have driven in a fair few countries

United Kingdom (obviously)
Ireland
France
Spain
Gibraltar
Belgium
The Netherlands
Germany
Poland
Luxemberg
Canada
Untied States of America
Malta
Denmark
Austria
Sweeden
Greece

However, the USA is the only country I have ever driven in that has more stop signs than you can shake a stick at!! In my city we have about 2 stop signs and 300,000 inhabitants. You don't need them what you need are either give ways or roundabouts.

I was stopped by a police officer in Boston MA this time last year because I drove around a roundabout (rotary) the correct way, moving accross the lanes and signalling correctly. I have to say I was horrified with the way I saw other drivers using it.

He asked for my driving licence and registration so I gave him my UK licence and all the hire car paper work and all he said was, "that explains it - you're from Britain we don't have many of these rotaries here and out drivers get a bit worried on them. OK on your way and have a nice day"

Needless to say I and my friend were very shocked!!
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

Way to resurrect a post!

The first time I ever saw a traffic circle (rotarty, whatever) it wasn't actually a traffic circle, but a bike circle. What a MESS when the freshman arrive. After that, though, yeah, I really like them. There's one by my apartment and it's nice when (mostly if) people use it properly.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

The ones we have here are pretty pathetic... I know we have at least 2 traffic circles on busy/main streets. Not sure about the other one (havent went on the other one before), but there is one I've went on quite a bit. Whoever designed this circle does not know how a traffic circle works.. People INSIDE the circle yeild to people COMING INTO the circle... Needless to say, its a complete disaster...
wychwood
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wychwood »

My ambition would be to drive any Ferrari, new or old.