Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

This is the story of the Hurricane
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiK17FhP4g[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 pm This is the story of the Hurricane
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiK17FhP4g[/youtube]
And an awesome Hurricane story at that. Nobody could tell it better.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno, he could have written that song in these modern times we live in and it would have seemed just as timely. Things haven't changed much over the years.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Welp, the Buick has shuffled...out of my driveway. Got the head gaskets done, but now it won't start. Started just fine before the project, but now it's dead. This leads me to believe that something got borked during the project.

I'm washing my hands of it before I'm led of to the poorhouse in a comfortable jacket where I get to hug myself.

Mom ended up with a CPO Focus with the DCT. A little leery, but allegedly there were some revisions for the later years and it's better. There are 75000 miles left on the CPO powertrain warranty, so there's that.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 am Welp, the Buick has shuffled...out of my driveway. Got the head gaskets done, but now it won't start.
Are you sure that you replaced the Head Gasket and not just some Subordinate Gasket? Sometimes they just act as the Head Gasket temporarily, but they really aren't in charge.
I'm washing my hands of it before I'm led of to the poorhouse in a comfortable jacket where I get to hug myself.
Mom ended up with a CPO Focus with the DCT. A little leery, but allegedly there were some revisions for the later years and it's better.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

We did indeed replace all of the thongs which were included in the gasket kit. I'm sure there were some bits that hot missed during the process of putting stuff back together; we were both pretty snappy by that point.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 am Welp, the Buick has shuffled...out of my driveway. Got the head gaskets done, but now it won't start. Started just fine before the project, but now it's dead. This leads me to believe that something got borked during the project.

Mom ended up with a CPO Focus with the DCT. A little leery, but allegedly there were some revisions for the later years and it's better. There are 75000 miles left on the CPO powertrain warranty, so there's that.
wye dew eye all ways (usual Lee) think its cow posting end knot ewe, end knot jest when uh bue wick is men shunned?? Glad ewe got rid off the Dino sore ether whey. New focus probably uh safer bet.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I think it was the right thing. I've read around and it appears Ford have sorted the Powershift, too late as per normal. I can honestly say that I've forgotten how quick the NA Focus is. While not anywhere approaching ludicrously fast, it certainly gets out its own way and accelerates with aplomb. Feels like there is plenty of torque low in the rev-range. I will say that the additional gear really makes it much more refined on the motorway; instead of 3000 rpm/70 mph it's 2250 rpm/70 mph.

Don't worry, though, the Mazda hasn't gone anywhere.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:23 am I think it was the right thing. I've read around and it appears Ford have sorted the Powershift, too late as per normal. I can honestly say that I've forgotten how quick the NA Focus is. While not anywhere approaching ludicrously fast, it certainly gets out its own way and accelerates with aplomb. Feels like there is plenty of torque low in the rev-range. I will say that the additional gear really makes it much more refined on the motorway; instead of 3000 rpm/70 mph it's 2250 rpm/70 mph.

Don't worry, though, the Mazda hasn't gone anywhere.
well, we had to have known that ford wasn't THAT far behind VW in perfecting (or coming close to it) their DCT transmissions. it only took VW what, 10 years to go from rough shifts and starts and busted mechatronic units to shifting almost as smooth as a conventional auto box with few issues. just gotta change out that fluid every 40k miles or so. i don't think i'm in the minority of people, being upset they're cutting their sedan and hatch lineup (other than mustang), just when we would be getting the next gen fiesta and focus (and probably an even better fusion). :x :cry:

edit: glad you're still enjoying the six. how's the long haul comfort in that thing??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I personally find it to be pretty comfortable on longer trips (for me this is effectively 100-150 miles as I haven't gone longer). There are very few occasions where I feel a need for more power. The lumbar support seems to reduce itself and I sometimes have to reset, bit it's pretty small potatoes.

I've switched back to 87 for awhile to see if the price difference is even noticeable. In Minnesota the only ethanol free petrol is premium and it's $0.70 higher. Not sure if the additional mileage is strictly worth it.

Overall, there are very few complaints I have about it. The infotainment system is a bit slow, but that's always been the case. When it finally boots up though it's pretty good.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Saw my tuner Friday night. He loaded what he calls "stage fun" for the wagon, which is essentially a timing-heavy and angry version of his stage 3 software. Hes run this tune on his own car for 60k+ miles with no issues and said it dynos at a calibrated 310ish horsepressure, which is up from the stock 260hp. The 20% increase in power and the change to the power curves make for quite an interesting driving experience now. Downshifting on the highway is borderline terrifying.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ You know this is how VW got in trouble with EPA, right?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Emissions are still within standard testing parameters at all times. No monitors have been disabled or tricked. I should still see an increase in fuel economy.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 am Emissions are still within standard testing parameters at all times. No monitors have been disabled or tricked. I should still see an increase in fuel economy.
Relax,....I wasn't gonna turn you in.

Do you think the EPA has a rewards program, like a certain amount of money for ratting on a fender?

I bet it's a life-changing amount of money, or else nobody would go through the trouble of turning someone in.

Could be $75k or mebbe even $150k. You don't think it could be more than that, do you?...like $250k or even $400k?

Hey, if I was out East on business, I might want to drop by to say hi. What's your address?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ontario to scrap Drive Clean emissions test, target heavy-duty vehicles instead
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4842537

The Progressive Conservative government said the Drive Clean program, which tests emissions every two years on cars and light-duty trucks over seven years old, is outdated and no longer effective.

"Drive Clean was created almost 20 years ago but 20 years later, the family car now creates much less pollution. So Drive Clean has outlived its usefulness," he said.

Only five per cent of vehicles failed the test last year, compared with 16 per cent in 1999, and the trend is expected to continue, the government said.

The Tories said a new program will be introduced to target emissions from heavy-duty vehicles, which they say have weaker emissions standards and get replaced less frequently.