Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Generally speaking those are in fun. Friend legitimately thinks everything he owns is by default better.

EDIT: at least I mean them in fun, but sarcasm font isn't quite a thing.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 am
AHTOXA wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 pm Truck still at the shop for the damn oil pan leak that plagues the ecoboost motors. They fixed it (full replacement of the pan), it leaked after a week. I brought it back after noticing 8" oil spot in the parking spot. They found out of spec torque on the bolts holding the pan. Replaced bolts, tightened, claim to have tested by running the motor for 2 hours and gave it back to me. Leaked again within 24 hours. Brought it back and here I am, waiting for it to get fixed.

I was really hoping to have this truck for a while and not be paranoid of small niggling issues that are known to resurface (the recurring leaky pans are a very well known thing on the f150 boards). I originally thought I dodged that bullet with 35k on the truck as most owners seem to have the leaks early, but it came up anyways. Some have gone through 3-6 pans without a permanent fix and some have had Ford replace the long blocks to resolve the issue.

Maybe not the worst thing out there, but frustrating none the less. I went two full years without a single issue so I hope that this doesn't keep resurfacing, because if it does, I will sell the truck. My OCD will make me too paranoid forcing me to check oil multiple times a week just to make sure I catch the leak if/when it happens again.

Admittedly, I'm jealous when I hear folks all the time stating that they have had zero problems with their brand X car over tens of thousands of miles, yet I seem to always get acquainted with the dealerships on first name basis.

Let's go through 10 years of my auto history:
- 2008 Rabbit: premature throwout bearing and a few electronic issues.
- 2006 GTO: 2nd gear syncro problems, overheat that could not be diagnosed to determine root case, rear suspension issues; phantom clutch problems - sinking to floor with no resistance then working fine; no leaks
- 2006 TJ Rubicon: OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) issue - OPDA is driven off the cam gear and the OPDA gear is sacrificial to the cam and was heavily scalloped by 40k miles. Issue happens with 2005-2006 TJs. If OPDA fails, goodbye motor
- 2012 - Kia Soul - clutch and throwout bearing issues - noise and clutch irregularities
- 2012 Chevy Sonic - complete lemon that I wasn't able to formally lemon - 3 water pumps, subframe, new front struts, BT module, loss of vac (forget the part that failed), total failure of brake booster, mirror and trim falling off, etc. It was a huuuge POS
- 2015 Subaru Forester - burned oil like most 2.5 boxers
- 2016 Ford F150 - the damned oil pan leak that Ford can't fix permanently

Maybe my expectations are too high and tolerance of issues at low mileage is too low. I don't know, but it's frustrating to me, so thanks for letting me vent.

EDIT: my most reliable vehicle in the last 10 years has been my Suzuki motorcycle. I've owned it for like 3 years from 3k miles to ~22k currently, which is relatively high mileage for a motorcycle, yet I am yet to have a single issue with it. I've changed oil, tires and chain/sprockets; that's it, and it routinely sees redline.
maybe time to go full circle and get another VW. or maybe another rusted out integra. :D :mrgreen: :twisted:
I am considering a GTI buy I am very used to a lot of space and I'm not sure I can easily give that up.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

A modern vehicle is made of a zillion expensive, complex parts that are engineered for super-precise manufacturing which is done by imperfect humans or by robots that are built/programmed/maintained by imperfecthumans...and all on a super-competitive budget. Is it realistic to expect a new vehicle be 100% malfunction-free for any meaningful length of time/quantity of miles?

I suspect that it's not a matter of whether or not it happens, but rather whether or not you were bothered by it and remember.

It sounds like your Subaru had no malfunctions, just an unsatisfactory normal function.

I can't remember any malfunctions in 45,000 miles of my 2008 VW Rabbit except a catalytic converter failure that may have been caused by my own hacking...though there may have been some, I don't remember them.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm I am considering a GTI buy I am very used to a lot of space and I'm not sure I can easily give that up.
too small (in the back). get a sportwagen and tune it.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm
AHTOXA wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm I am considering a GTI buy I am very used to a lot of space and I'm not sure I can easily give that up.
Alltrack? Same thing, but 4Motion.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm
potownrob wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm
Alltrack? Same thing, but 4Motion.
Neither the Sportwagen nor the AllTrack do anything for me. Looking at them and make me feel about as excited as a 2000 Corolla. I am also not wanting to tune anything I get, hence my current Ecoboost is stock, even though I am a tune away from serious gains. The main reason is that I'm going to buy a vehicle I like as-is, not something that I already know is lacking enough that I need to mod it right away; that's just asking for me to get bored with it after 1 year and be itching to sell.

Basically, after spending some time on Autotrader, I am stuck. I wanted to basically find a used/new car within 30 grand that's manual and >2 doors, has leather and heated seats. Pretty much the only options I got were:

- GTI. Not bad, but small.
- 2016 Golf R; better than GTI but still a Golf. Manuals tend to have slipping clutches, even at stock power levels. DSG is the way to go on the R but I don't want the DSG as much and it makes it less attractive to me.
- STI/WRX - no hatch; no go
- Mazda 3. Sat in one today; head touches roof as the top GT trim has sunroof standard. Do not want lower trims so no go.

And that's pretty much it. There was an occasional snoozefest Veloster, and HR-V and something else I can't remember.

Going to stick with the truck for now, as there's literally nothing compelling out there for me with an exception of getting another 1/2 ton and spending more cash. I doubt that I will, but if I do get into another half time any time soon, the new Ram will get a close look.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm
the new Ram will get a close look.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:12 pm
AHTOXA wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm
the new Ram will get a close look.
Fickset
thought this was gonna be an RP "gift horse" lesson post; leaving dissapoint. :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Tank wrote:Alltrack? Same thing, but 4Motion.
now we're talking!! :twisted:
Tone-Bone wrote:Neither the Sportwagen nor the AllTrack do anything for me. Looking at them and make me feel about as excited as a 2000 Corolla. I am also not wanting to tune anything I get, hence my current Ecoboost is stock, even though I am a tune away from serious gains. The main reason is that I'm going to buy a vehicle I like as-is, not something that I already know is lacking enough that I need to mod it right away; that's just asking for me to get bored with it after 1 year and be itching to sell.
understand about the tune part, but triggered by comparison of far superior golfs to appliance toyotas. these are real cars with real character. it's just character that you may not notice right away. it's no mini, but then again, it's no mini...

- 2016 Golf R; better than GTI but still a Golf. Manuals tend to have slipping clutches, even at stock power levels. DSG is the way to go on the R but I don't want the DSG as much and it makes it less attractive to me.
- Mazda 3. Sat in one today; head touches roof as the top GT trim has sunroof standard. Do not want lower trims so no go.
no leather, but otherwise maybe civic si, type r or accord manuel?? i vaguely remember you not liking hondas (other than the integra you had) though...
And that's pretty much it. There was an occasional snoozefest Veloster, and HR-V and something else I can't remember.

Going to stick with the truck for now, as there's literally nothing compelling out there for me with an exception of getting another 1/2 ton and spending more cash. I doubt that I will, but if I do get into another half time any time soon, the new Ram will get a close look.
haha, you mentioned hr-v. that thing is a dog, and not comfortable either. why not keep the truck and get a second cheaper car? :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 am
Tank wrote:Alltrack? Same thing, but 4Motion.
now we're talking!! :twisted:
Tone-Bone wrote:Neither the Sportwagen nor the AllTrack do anything for me. Looking at them and make me feel about as excited as a 2000 Corolla. I am also not wanting to tune anything I get, hence my current Ecoboost is stock, even though I am a tune away from serious gains. The main reason is that I'm going to buy a vehicle I like as-is, not something that I already know is lacking enough that I need to mod it right away; that's just asking for me to get bored with it after 1 year and be itching to sell.
understand about the tune part, but triggered by comparison of far superior golfs to appliance toyotas. these are real cars with real character. it's just character that you may not notice right away. it's no mini, but then again, it's no mini...

no leather, but otherwise maybe civic si, type r or accord manuel?? i vaguely remember you not liking hondas (other than the integra you had) though...

haha, you mentioned hr-v. that thing is a dog, and not comfortable either. why not keep the truck and get a second cheaper car? :twisted:
The Si, CTR and Accord don't fit my lifestyle. Too little room in the hatch. Need room for dogs and camping gear, so hatchback, wagon or truck are basically the only choices that make sense for me as the only car. Now, if I had more than one car...
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:14 pm Now, if I had more than one car...
Solution!

Our current lineup is:
'11 Mazda 2
-Fuel efficiency for long trips
-Five passenger
-Tiny for city car things

'08 9-5 wagon
-Because race car
-Five passenger
-Ample cargo room, but oddly very low weight limit. My coilovers don't help.
-3,500 pound tow rating

'18 Wrangler
-Convertible
-Great winter car
-Honestly there's not much going for it aside from the fun factor. Two doors, four passenger, and only a 2,000 pound tow rating make it pretty much useless. It does have a warranty though...

Between the three we have damn near everything we need. Aside from sentimental reasons, I do miss the Viggen for its trucky nature. I bought 640 lbs of cement yesterday. The wagon was bottoming out. Ive put literally twice that in the Viggen with no issues. Solid beam rear axles are definitely good for something. Not needing the trailer for heavy loads made life a lot easier some times.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

GM fanbois gave Ford shit for axing all the cars and now GM is pulling the same crap. Once again the US is abdicating car production to the Japanese and Koreans.

This next market correction should be a Deusey.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-r ... SKCN1NV1NB
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

And every man should have a proper Challenger? Based on the picture, of course.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:33 pm And every man should have a proper Charger? Based on the picture, of course.
Fickest