Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

BRITISH GAS WON’T BUY ICE VEHICLES EVER AGAIN
The UK’s largest energy provider, British Gas, says it will never buy another internal combustion engine vehicle again. And the first step of that commitment is ordering 2,000 electric Vivaro vans from Vauxhall. By 2025, British Gas plans to convert its entire 12,000 vehicle fleet to EVs. The UK is banning sales of new ICE vehicles by 2030.

Isn't this like Ontario Hydro refusing to purchase any more water-powered vehicles?

https://gb-media.vauxhall.co.uk/en-gb/0 ... ritish-gas
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

THE HISTORY BEHIND THE MANUAL PEDAL SETUP
Anyone that’s ever driven a manual knows, the clutch is on the left, the brake pedal is in the middle and the accelerator is on the right. But how did we get to one standard setup? In the very early days of the automobile, each manufacturer had their own arrangement. Some didn’t even have pedals, they had levers. Well, like many things, the standard setup was designated by the military. According to Mercedes-Benz, in 1908 the Prussian military specified a standard pedal arrangement so drivers would not get confused going from one model to another. So, all German Imperial army trucks emerged with the setup we know today. Now, of course, this didn’t catch on everywhere right away, there were still many different setups, even through the 1920’s, but obviously it eventually won out.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite ... wMTI!&rs=1
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

PEUGEOT UNVEILS NEW LOGO
Peugeot is changing its logo from the standing lion, which was introduced in 2010, to this new coat of arms with a lion’s head. There’s quite a history to that logo. Peugeot started using it in 1847 and registered it as a trademark in 1858. It’s gone through all kinds of changes over the last 174 years.

https://int-media.peugeot.com/en/25-feb ... ars-louder
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:49 pm THE HISTORY BEHIND THE MANUAL PEDAL SETUP
Anyone that’s ever driven a manual knows, the clutch is on the left, the brake pedal is in the middle and the accelerator is on the right. But how did we get to one standard setup? In the very early days of the automobile, each manufacturer had their own arrangement. Some didn’t even have pedals, they had levers. Well, like many things, the standard setup was designated by the military. According to Mercedes-Benz, in 1908 the Prussian military specified a standard pedal arrangement so drivers would not get confused going from one model to another. So, all German Imperial army trucks emerged with the setup we know today. Now, of course, this didn’t catch on everywhere right away, there were still many different setups, even through the 1920’s, but obviously it eventually won out.
If only they would standardize the lights, wipers, HVAC, etc. It drives me nuts. If I am driving in the rain with the lights on and the rain stops, I accidentally turn the lights off because that is how my S10 turns off the wipers.

Worse, in the Mazda 5 the dash lights up anytime the engine is on. I have often found my self driving at night with no lights because for 35 years, if the dash was lit, the lights were on. But now we have this funky situation and it might take the rest of my life to get used to it, if I don't get in a wreck and die first from driving with no lights.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Nobody complains that the pedal layout is stuck in a time warp, so why don't they leave the other controls right where DOG intended them to be instead of trying to be innovative when it comes to hiding the rear wiper switch? It's terrible to pick up a rental car on a dark, rainy night and nothing is where you expect it to be when you try to turn on lights, clear the window, set a delay wiper period, etc.

I drove a Ford Focus to Toledo and back last week and I got stuff to work that I couldn't figure out how to shut off until after I parked the car, turned on an interior light, and moved my head to see around the side of the steering wheel.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Maybe it's just me because I drive so many different cars and own four entirely incomparable vehicles, but I don't tend to struggle with controls that I use frequently. Wipers, lights, etc. are a one-time learning experience then I'm good. Finding the hazard light button, on the other hand, is something I struggle with in everything.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

They perfected the HVAC controls, then I guess the masses got bored so they had to goof them all up. Here is the best HVAC control system I have ever experienced. Had it in my 2005 F150, 1992 Aerostar, 2001 Ranger, 2001 S10 and others. So simple a moron could work them, and that is what you need when your brain is supposed to be focused on the road, not the controls.

And I must admit my 1977 had a pretty decent set up too:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Seams tummy that Ford did a big benchmarking study on controls prior to coming out with the Taurus. They determined that rotary dials were easy to use without looking at them - you could sense when the handle was oriented vertically by your grip, sense the angle or rotation of the wrist, and also the rotary motion isn't sensitive to pitch, yaw, and roll ride motions.....Hey, that's why a steering wheel works so well!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

deafeningly prefer simple HVAC knobs to the new-age auto climate control setups ive dealt whiff inn recent years. took me a hot minute (or month) to figure out the controls on my '15 accord. even the bass accord had the auto setup on the neinf gen on up (from MY '13 on), sew there wasn't even the option to have simple controls. my '16 golf se had the simple controls, along whiff the '07 altima, then the lexus has the weird auto setup again. defiantly cant set it by feel like ewe can with the simple setups. we woen't get into the wiper and light controls, but i halve two say VW seams too have gotten it down good, albeit totally different from most non-germanic brands...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 am Image
we woen't get into the wiper and light controls, but i halve two say VW seams too have gotten it down good, albeit totally different from most non-germanic brands...
Fickset
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

In my two auto climate control cars, there's nothing to do except maybe turn on the defrost once in a while. Otherwise they're set to auto and never adjusted. In the two manual climate vehicles I need to constantly adjust to find then maintain a good temperature. Give me the set-and-forget option every time.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 pm In my two auto climate control cars, there's nothing to do except maybe turn on the defrost once in a while. Otherwise they're set to auto and never adjusted. In the two manual climate vehicles I need to constantly adjust to find then maintain a good temperature. Give me the set-and-forget option every time.
I almost never use the actual auto setting - on both the accord and the lexus the auto program has a mind of its own (duh), and not in a good way. It won’t let you set where to direct the air (I just tried it in the Lexus and it insisted to only directing air to the footwell, not to the upper registers), and the temperature you select is almost never what it really is, so that might as well be a cryptic rotary knob with no indicated temps. Plus, it blasts the air when it doesn’t have to. Hopefully your auto setup is better.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 pm
watkins wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 pm In my two auto climate control cars, there's nothing to do except maybe turn on the defrost once in a while. Otherwise they're set to auto and never adjusted. In the two manual climate vehicles I need to constantly adjust to find then maintain a good temperature. Give me the set-and-forget option every time.
I almost never use the actual auto setting - on both the accord and the lexus the auto program has a mind of its own (duh), and not in a good way. It won’t let you set where to direct the air (I just tried it in the Lexus and it insisted to only directing air to the footwell, not to the upper registers), and the temperature you select is almost never what it really is, so that might as well be a cryptic rotary knob with no indicated temps. Plus, it blasts the air when it doesn’t have to. Hopefully your auto setup is better.
I have no issues with either the Saab or Jeep. They both work great and maintain set cabin temperatures. But I'm also particularly aware of the abnormalities of Mopar climate control systems.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Looked in the manual for the Mazda 5 and it turns out they offered it with the simple 3-dial and two automatic versions. I never tried automatic, I think it got accidentally put on automatic once and we could not figure why our settings would not stay where we put them. :Problem is many buy what is on the lot and if it has the fancy HVAC they probably don't care or prefer it. They stock what sells and what makes them more money I guess.

Reminds me of a really manual wiper control in the 1970s a kid had a VW Beetle and the wipers would not go, it was snowing, so he tied a string or wire across them and he and I, each with an arm out the window, worked the wipers.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I had my 2nd dose of the PPHizer vaccine last Thursday and I had to take the next day off of work because I was achy all over - joint pain, headache,
- I even had an ear-ache - as well as feverish.

When I was a lad, the saying was "If it burns it must be working" when talking about mouth-wash or topical antiseptics. I guess that's what I feel about my reaction to the 2nd vaccination - my immune system took umbrage that the invader thought they could just walk in and do what they wanted without getting the bum's rush.

I've never had a reaction to a flu vaccine or other vaccinations, but I don't recall that I've ever had a 2-dose vaccination before. I'm normally a healthy kinda guy, so I'm not experienced at being ill. It kinda sucks.