Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Changing Times

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW Getting too big for their Breaches?

VOLKSWAGEN & AUDI HIT BY HACKERS - Autoline Daily
Volkswagen of America says a data breach impacted millions of Audi owners and shoppers in the U.S. and Canada. Someone stole the personal information of 3.3 million customers and prospective buyers. The hack came through a vendor that VW uses for digital sales and marketing. Mostly phone numbers and email addresses were stolen. But 90,000 Audi owners had their driver license numbers taken, but some had date of birth, social security number and account numbers stolen. VW will offer those Audi owners free credit protection services. The company believes the data was stolen at some point between August of 2019 to May of this year.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/11/vw- ... customers/
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Good evening :shock:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I called for a windshield estimate and the guy asked if it has the rain sensor. I said, "no, i have eyeballs to tell me if it is raining, what would I need that for?" If I can't see it is raining, then I ought not be driving eh?

Rain sensor. Lazy lazy people. OR they are too busy with a soda in one hand, and a vape in the other, while reading the newspaper and shaving in the morning commute.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3673 ... nsmission/

It’s too loud cuz you almost gotta redline to shift

What the heck
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

No. YOU don't have to push it almost to redline to shift. THEY have to push it almost to redline to shift. It's required by the specification they're using to do the test. I can't even fault the government for the original spec, since it's an SAE spec. I can fault SAE for a spec that was apparently ill-considered even when it was written in 1984. I can only fault the State for not updating their test procedures to reflect subsequent revisions or in 13 years since the entirely new spec hit the streets.

It's the same type of government lethargy that keeps legitimate safety improvements out of cars for decades beacause the requirements were written when nobody could even conceive of the available technology and nobody ever goes into the laws to update them.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 am https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3673 ... nsmission/

What the heck

Hey Wannabe - have you ever thought about making a new career of sharing the craziness of your current career?

Scott Adams was able to quit his job as an engineer after his Dilbert comic strip took off. Now, other engineers send him ideas for his comics from THEIR work experiences. Maybe you could start with sharing your "Crazy Calls of the Week" to get started, add some simple sketches to go along with them, and make a lot of people figuratively laugh out loud.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 pm
wannabe wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 am https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3673 ... nsmission/

What the heck

Hey Wannabe - have you ever thought about making a new career of sharing the craziness of your current career?

Scott Adams was able to quit his job as an engineer after his Dilbert comic strip took off. Now, other engineers send him ideas for his comics from THEIR work experiences. Maybe you could start with sharing your "Crazy Calls of the Week" to get started, add some simple sketches to go along with them, and make a lot of people figuratively laugh out loud.
I don’t technically have an NDA, but like, people would recognize themselves and I’d get fired.

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

But like this. “Member is upset waiting 6 hours for a tow, should I re route the call”

1) rerouting a call will make it take longer.
2) there is ONE WHOLE MINUTE LEFT ON THE ETA ARE YOU DUMB.

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am But like this. “Member is upset waiting 6 hours for a tow, should I re route the call”

1) rerouting a call will make it take longer.
2) there is ONE WHOLE MINUTE LEFT ON THE ETA ARE YOU DUMB.
See...that's what I'm typing about! Make up your own names for them....Dilbert's Wally portrays a lot of guys whose office antics fit that persona.

Make up an alias for yourself, like "Hell O'How" or "May I. Assistchew".

When it's a Chebbie, say it's a Corhunza.

When it's a Dooge, say it's a Walletdrainer 5000.

This could be so cathartic for you!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I have an idea for a car that will not need towing for most problems, and will satisfy the family where not all can handle a stick. You have your manual car and in the trunk is a separate engine and drive train, so that when the non-manual person needs to go somewhere they fire up that engine and use the automatic. If your engine breaks down you just drive home on the other engine and if it happens to the non-manual person--too bad.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am Rain sensor. Lazy lazy people. OR they are too busy with a soda in one hand, and a vape in the other, while reading the newspaper and shaving in the morning commute.
Good rain sensing wipers are great! Just set and forget. They adjust speed perfectly for those weird days when the rain can't figure out how hard to fall.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:39 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am Rain sensor. Lazy lazy people. OR they are too busy with a soda in one hand, and a vape in the other, while reading the newspaper and shaving in the morning commute.
Good rain sensing wipers are great! Just set and forget. They adjust speed perfectly for those weird days when the rain can't figure out how hard to fall.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm
Just looked at the preview on Amazon. That is my kind of a kid book. Wish I had known about it when my kids were small.
Stick shiftin since '77
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Whelp, all true and so for all the other fancy features. As my mechanic says, they are great when they are working. With lease cars, nobody has one longer than 2-3 years for most of that stuff to go wrong. My first new vehicle was a stripped down F100, no extras, no radio, no power assist for brakes or steering, no AC. My reasoning was that the less stuff, the less can go wrong.

As for wipers, I prefer manual wipers and have fond recollecitons of being in a friends VW beetle in a snow storm. His wipers did not work, but he had used rope or coat hangers, can't remember now, but we each had an arm out the window and would alternately pull to keep the wipers moving across the windshield. Why I suppose the Ford Model T probably didn't even have wipers. In a snow storm you probably had to fold the window down to see.
Stick shiftin since '77