Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:41 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 pm
wannabe wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 am

I didn’t go anywhere cuz I work nights from home….
Yanno sleep is over-rated, right?
Sleep? Wazzat
Just sayin' even walking zombies can tip-toe through the tulips during the day when Windmill Island is open.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Driving while sleepy is a terrible choice I don’t make.

I volunteer at a thrift store every weds and the crowds in Holland are not my style.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Scott Keogh, the CEO of Volkswagen of America, says they need to sell eight Passat sedans to make the same amount of profit as one Atlas SUV.

The name ‘sedan’ chair came from town of Sedan in France where they were first used. They consisted of a cabin containing a seat mounted on horizontal poles and carried by two burly men, one at the front, the other at the rear. It was an open secret that chairmen preferred female passengers as they were generally lighter to carry.

https://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot. ... chair.html
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm Driving while sleepy is a terrible choice I don’t make.

I volunteer at a thrift store every weds and the crowds in Holland are not my style.
didn't know you moved...you speak dutch yet??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

https://imgur.com/gallery/4ea5QFM

Forgot how to make an image show. Whatever

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:36 am https://imgur.com/gallery/4ea5QFM

memories of my gung-ho stick shift days. couldn’t fathom why anyone would want to not drive manual. thought eye’d wanna shift for the rest of my life. those were the days…

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

memories of my gung-ho stick shift days. couldn’t fathom why anyone would want to not drive manual. thought eye’d wanna shift for the rest of my life. those were the days…

It would be nice but now I just floor it to speed up and eventually the van gets the idea.

Are there stick shift mini vans? Who knows

I now have a working right rear blinker. I’ve felt guilty merging for an entire year

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:13 am
potownrob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

It would be nice but now I just floor it to speed up and eventually the van gets the idea.

I now have a working right rear blinker. I’ve felt guilty merging for an entire year
Manual minivans exist, just not stateside as far as I know (too lazy to look up). They are popular in Europe last eye czeched.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 am
wannabe wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:13 am
potownrob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am memories of my gung-ho stick shift days. couldn’t fathom why anyone would want to not drive manual. thought eye’d wanna shift for the rest of my life. those were the days…

Manual minivans exist, just not stateside as far as I know (too lazy to look up). They are popular in Europe last eye czeched.
Chrysler sold them stateside until maybe 1994 and in overseas markets until maybe 2005.

The minivan wannabe Dodge Journey (A.K.A. Fiat Fremont) sold quite well with an Amish 6-speed and the Fiat 2.0L Turbo Diesel from 2011 to 2017 or so, but not in North America. After a certain point in time, it needed to be recertified for lower emissions levels, in order to be sold in Europe, and they decided not to spend the money on that The thing is, just like other states choose to go by California emissions rules, other countries chose to go by European emissions rules and sales of the the diesels just about fell off the side of the earth. Journey ended production with just L4 and V-6 gas engines and 4 & 6-speed slushboxes and in the last year of production, just 2.4L gas with 4-speed slushbox.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HYUNDAI PLANS TO SLASH ICE LINEUP IN HALF - Autoline Daily
The Hyundai Group is aiming to sell 1 million EVs a year by 2025 with a goal for full electrification by 2040. To help pay for the development of all those new electrics, Reuters reports that Hyundai will cut the number of ICE vehicles in its lineup in half. The automaker will pour that money into developing electric motors, batteries and fuel cells. And according to Reuters sources, Hyundai has already stopped developing new powertrains for ICE vehicles. With Europe and China implementing stricter emissions regulations, automakers, like Hyundai, need to accelerate their transition to EVs.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/27/hyu ... n-engines/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Last of the Red-Hot 4-Speed cars....- Autoweek

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/colum ... %20Openers
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Most of the USDM minivans were available with manuals but the take rate was quite low and they went away mostly in the late-'80s/early-'90s.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:40 pm Most of the USDM minivans were available with manuals but the take rate was quite low and they went away mostly in the late-'80s/early-'90s.
Yes, when the minivan market was surging with new entries, it was still very common for vehicles to be offered to Amish drivers as well as their slushbox bretheren. The trend was already starting that the high-line powertrains often were only available with slushboxes. As an example, early Chrysler minivans base engine was a 2.2L L4, available with 3-speed slushbox and 4 or 5-speed Amish transmissions. There was an optional 2.6 L Mitsubishi L4 that was nevere mated to a Amish transmission. Later, when the Mitsubishi 3.0 L V-6 became available as the high-line engine, it too was not available for those of the Amish faith. Same goes for when Chrysler's home-grown V-6 engines became available - Amish needed not to apply to be drivers. It was actually kind of astonishing when the 2.5 L Turbo L4 was made available with a 5-speed Amish transmission.

Sales in overseas markets kept the Amish transmission minivans going a while longer.

Something that needs to be considered is that on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, manufacturing of slushbox transmissions dominated (the silver-boxes themselves) and on the other side of the very same ocean manufacturing of Amish transmissions dominated. It was actually less expensive in North America to build a vehicle in the slushbox variation, even though they priced the transmission as an extra-cost option. That extra cost paid by the purchaser was added profit on top of the profit due to the slushbox transmission vehicle being less expensive to manufacture - WIN-WIN for the vehicle manufacturer.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm Image
Wow, I like that engine. What a clever idea to have it so it can be quickly opened up for inspection and repair.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The Pentagon wants a bazooka that can take down drones
The Department of Defense is planning to test out soldier-carried anti-drone weapons in September.
https://www.popsci.com/technology/penta ... y=Military

https://www.scotclans.com/bagpipes-a-weapon-of-war/