Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:11 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm
watkins wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:39 pm
Good rain sensing wipers are great! Just set and forget. They adjust speed perfectly for those weird days when the rain can't figure out how hard to fall.
Just looked at the preview on Amazon. That is my kind of a kid book. Wish I had known about it when my kids were small.
Yanno it's Gotta-B-Good if Herman Munster wrote it!

Not too late to start prepping for reading to grandkids, is it?

When she was growing up, my daughter thought that if we were making a distinction by referring to some worms as "Earth Worms", there must be space worms out there as well. Yes, I bought a copy to read to the kids.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:41 am Yanno it's Gotta-B-Good if Herman Munster wrote it!

Not too late to start prepping for reading to grandkids, is it?

When she was growing up, my daughter thought that if we were making a distinction by referring to some worms as "Earth Worms", there must be space worms out there as well. Yes, I bought a copy to read to the kids.
Yep, Herman was a cool dude. He would get into fixes somwhat like Ralph Kramden would get into.

No grandkids yet. And after I force-read Melville's Bertelby the Scrivener to my kids, they probably won't let me near their kids with a book.

When my daughter was maybe 3 we were ordering a pizza and I was looking in the phone book and said, "I can't find Little Ceasars." My daughter soon ran up to me and handed me a little pair of scissors.

Another time I told my wife we should kick up the heat and my daughter ran to the heat vent and started kicking it. Smart girl.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Better have her checked. She might have "the knack."
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am Rain sensor. Lazy lazy people. OR they are too busy with a soda in one hand, and a vape in the other, while reading the newspaper and shaving in the morning commute.
Good rain sensing wipers are great! Just set and forget. They adjust speed perfectly for those weird days when the rain can't figure out how hard to fall.
Whelp, all true and so for all the other fancy features. As my mechanic says, they are great when they are working. With lease cars, nobody has one longer than 2-3 years for most of that stuff to go wrong. My first new vehicle was a stripped down F100, no extras, no radio, no power assist for brakes or steering, no AC. My reasoning was that the less stuff, the less can go wrong.
I see a lot of cars, being a tech and all, and I can tell you the one feature I've never seen fail is rain sensing wipers. Mine still work on my '08
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Let's "Make-Like a Banana" and Split!

AUDI LAUNCHING NEW TORQUE SPLITTER - Autoline Daily
Audi is improving the performance of its vehicles with a new rear axle torque splitter. Previously, its rear axle differential featured a multiple disc clutch package to vary torque between the rear wheels. But the new torque splitter utilizes multiple disc clutches on each rear drive shaft, which are controlled electronically. It takes in wheel speed, steering angle, pedal position, gear, yaw angle and other factors to determine how to send power to the wheels. This results in less understeer, earlier and faster acceleration out of corners, and more precise handling. The new torque splitter will first be featured in the upcoming RS 3. https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/aud ... otype-6821

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

watkins wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 am I see a lot of cars, being a tech and all, and I can tell you the one feature I've never seen fail is rain sensing wipers. Mine still work on my '08
The only failure we've had that I'd characterize as something of a "false-negative" is when we get just a little spray that doesn't reach the threshold for what the system wants to run a swipe, but enough to be annoying, and then there's no accumulation for a long time. That's a minor annoyance. Manually run the "mist" single swipe, maybe a spray to make sure the window is thoroughly wet, just as you would if you didn't have automatic wipers, and done.

There was also once that we had a "false-positive." I'm not sure if it was a sudden accumulation of bug guts, dust, pollen, or just general gremlins, but they suddenly went into continuous mode until I was able to get them shut off. I consider that a bigger deal since it was grinding contaminants into a dry windshield until I intervened.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm VW Getting too big for their Breaches?

VOLKSWAGEN & AUDI HIT BY HACKERS - Autoline Daily
Volkswagen of America says a data breach impacted millions of Audi owners and shoppers in the U.S. and Canada. Someone stole the personal information of 3.3 million customers and prospective buyers. The hack came through a vendor that VW uses for digital sales and marketing. Mostly phone numbers and email addresses were stolen. But 90,000 Audi owners had their driver license numbers taken, but some had date of birth, social security number and account numbers stolen. VW will offer those Audi owners free credit protection services. The company believes the data was stolen at some point between August of 2019 to May of this year.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/11/vw- ... customers/
It must be a Chermin thang:

Mercedes-Benz USA accidentally puts out data from nearly 1,000 customers
https://www.autonews.com/retail/mercede ... 3-readmore
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

This car in AA says they drive a stick shift and cant shift gears

Uhhhh what are you doing then? Did you steal it? Better get out and push if you’re in the way of ambulances!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Given that description I would initially suspect a bad master or slave cylinder. A clutch that's not fully disengaging can make it difficult to shift, especially for those not accustomed to shifting...Ahem...Correctly. There are other problems that can cause high shift effort, but that's the only one I've personally encountered, and I've encountered it more than once. I've had the occasion to drive two different vehicles home almost clutchlessly due to failed clutch hydraulics, and the second I got to do it again on the test drive because after I replaced the slave the master was also on its way out.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm Image

HYUNDAI PLANS TO SLASH ICE LINEUP IN HALF - Autoline Daily
The Hyundai Group is aiming to sell 1 million EVs a year by 2025 with a goal for full electrification by 2040. To help pay for the development of all those new electrics, Reuters reports that Hyundai will cut the number of ICE vehicles in its lineup in half. The automaker will pour that money into developing electric motors, batteries and fuel cells. And according to Reuters sources, Hyundai has already stopped developing new powertrains for ICE vehicles. With Europe and China implementing stricter emissions regulations, automakers, like Hyundai, need to accelerate their transition to EVs.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/27/hyu ... n-engines/
Translation: Hyundai’s engines will never be fixed. :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am Rain sensor. Lazy lazy people. OR they are too busy with a soda in one hand, and a vape in the other, while reading the newspaper and shaving in the morning commute.
had them on my Golf and my Lexus. they worked pretty well on the Golf, but were hit-or-miss on the Lexus. eye regularly had to manually turn the wipers off and on again to get them going, even whiff moderate rain coming down. the Golf also wasn't perfect, but the wipers would usually eventually wake up and start running. new car (TBA) doesn't have the automatic wipers; they apparently offered them and various other options/standard features the following year. :| :arrow: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:42 pm This car in AA says they drive a stick shift and cant shift gears

Uhhhh what are you doing then? Did you steal it? Better get out and push if you’re in the way of ambulances!
epic fail :shock:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:57 am
wannabe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:42 pm This car in AA says they drive a stick shift and cant shift gears

epic fail :shock:
I wonder:

Is it possible that someone has been taught how to practice Amish customs, but really has no idea what the basis of the customs is? Could they be going through the motions without knowing what their actions are linked to? To them, is the clutch release pedal merely a button that must be stepped on rather abruptly, but then released in a methodical method, with no thought that power plow is being interrupted and then re-enabled by these actions?

There are a lot of other things in our lives that we simply do, without understanding, or even caring to understand, the details behind what these actions are directly controlling on the granular level, the mechanism behind what why we must perform these actions, as long as the macro outcome for the actions gets us what we want.

I was thinking that I don't even know where the controls are on a thermous, what kind of batteries it uses, whether I should have purchased the extended warranty or not, and yet somehow I must be doing it right because when I put warm stuff inside, it stays warm and when I put cold stuff inside it stays cold.

The day it doesn't, I hope there is someone like Wannabe out there that I can call for assistance.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Someone remind me how to load a picture?

I feel old

But I applied for a supervisor position at my job.

Unsure if I know how to supervise! But it can’t be too difficult, lots of other people do it!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff