Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Debate over best way to pay service techs continues to roil dealerships
"A recent survey of 35,000 dealership technicians by automotive consulting firm Carlisle and Co. found that the flat rate system is a prime reason for job dissatisfaction among techs and a key motivator for them to consider leaving dealership shops for other fields. Among the beefs technicians have with flat rate is that their pay depends on the volume and type of work that comes into the shop, and whether they can finish jobs in less than the book times."

https://www.autonews.com/fixed-ops-jour ... ealerships
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm Mom is looking at possibly trading her Focus because she does the Uber/Lyft thing. I'm steering her to a Fusion/ Escape with the 2.5/6AT as the simplest and most robust option. Steering her away from Nissan and the Hyundai/ Kia twins due to the engine's propensity to self-immolation.

Is there anything I should worry about? I've not heard anything terrible about Ford's 2.5 other than that it's course and agricultural. Mazda/Toyota/Honda are proving a bit expensive.
Eye fought ewe had an escape whiff the 2.5?? Or is that that other member from out your whey?? :? :shock: :oops:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I think they are taking this autonomous vehicle thing too far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... SZPNwZex9s
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

PizzaRob wrote:I thought ewe had an Escape with a 2.5.
You'd be correct. The only difference was that car was new so I wasn't concerned with issues that might crop up. With the vehicles that she was initially looking at, I was concerned about her possibly buying somebody else's problem.

My question ended up being mooter than moot, though, because the car she initially looked at before I got off work was a 2.0T Fusion. She liked that one, but banks weren't playing ball. Ended up with a 2018 Mazda3.

Though a compact like the Focus, it's packaged better and feels larger. It was like deja vu all over again. It's also a color. Also, it was a leftover 2018 so they were blowing it out and she got it for a little under $16k plus tax. New car warranty, a traditional automatic...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 pm I think they are taking this autonomous vehicle thing too far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... SZPNwZex9s
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pmZE1Qtyw[/youtube]

"They've Gone About as Fur as They Kin Go!"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 pm "A recent survey of 35,000 dealership technicians by automotive consulting firm Carlisle and Co. found that the flat rate system is a prime reason for job dissatisfaction among techs and a key motivator for them to consider leaving dealership shops for other fields. Among the beefs technicians have with flat rate is that their pay depends on the volume and type of work that comes into the shop, and whether they can finish jobs in less than the book times."

No shit. Flat rate sucks. Fortunately I'm now in a dealership that pays very well with bonuses and has a guarantee system, just in case. Mind you we only have four main techs (me and one other are Master certified), two secondary guys, and two oil bitches. Fortunately we do have a dedicated used car tech that we can force to do shop work if we're desperate, but that's not ideal. We're down six techs since I started two and a half years ago.

Unfortunately because we don't have enough techs, we don't book much work. Its a tough balance to get things moving through the shop and still manage to make some upsells to actually get paid.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Somehow, I can't stop thinking that Clouseau was involved in the Notre Dame fire.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7i-ZRx3nc[/youtube]

Hey, anyone else notice they haven't said a thing about the football team? I hear they were all burned to a crisp but they won't mention it until all their next of kin have been notified!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:46 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 pm "A recent survey of 35,000 dealership technicians by automotive consulting firm Carlisle and Co. found that the flat rate system is a prime reason for job dissatisfaction among techs and a key motivator for them to consider leaving dealership shops for other fields. Among the beefs technicians have with flat rate is that their pay depends on the volume and type of work that comes into the shop, and whether they can finish jobs in less than the book times."

No shit. Flat rate sucks. Fortunately I'm now in a dealership that pays very well with bonuses and has a guarantee system, just in case. Mind you we only have four main techs (me and one other are Master certified), two secondary guys, and two oil bitches. Fortunately we do have a dedicated used car tech that we can force to do shop work if we're desperate, but that's not ideal. We're down six techs since I started two and a half years ago.

Unfortunately because we don't have enough techs, we don't book much work. Its a tough balance to get things moving through the shop and still manage to make some upsells to actually get paid.
A friend of mine got out of Auto Tech school and was interviewed by a stealership. He looked at their dusty SUN engine analyzer (OK, it was a few years ago) and said sure, I know how to use those things, but you're going to have to pay me an hourly wage, because you'll give the gravy jobs to the other mechanics and have me working on all the jobs that require diagnosis.....and the guy nodded his head and he was the only one there not getting paid at a flat rate.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 am
PizzaRob wrote:I thought ewe had an Escape with a 2.5.
You'd be correct. The only difference was that car was new so I wasn't concerned with issues that might crop up. With the vehicles that she was initially looking at, I was concerned about her possibly buying somebody else's problem.
you could have that problem with any car/engine though... :? :(
My question ended up being mooter than moot, though, because the car she initially looked at before I got off work was a 2.0T Fusion. She liked that one, but banks weren't playing ball. Ended up with a 2018 Mazda3.
winning 8)
Though a compact like the Focus, it's packaged better and feels larger. It was like deja vu all over again. It's also a color. Also, it was a leftover 2018 so they were blowing it out and she got it for a little under $16k plus tax. New car warranty, a traditional automatic...
not to be a stickler, but that's technically not correct... https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/tec ... tiv-drive/
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I suppose to clarify, I meant less of a chance of buying problems. For example, I avoid Nissans on principle because their CVTs, at least in the past, were unmitigated garbage. The Focus had me leery, but since it was certified I was willing to take a chance. I'd still prefer if she learned to drive a manual, but that horse is pushing up daisies it's so dead from that discussion.

Either way, moot moot moot. The Mazda3 is delightful, even as an auto.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Mazda bringing AWD and allegedly the D to Mazda6es. Yet another variable to add to my decision matrix. Might just rip off the bandaid if it proves gut genug.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Honda 1.5L Engine Suffers Cold-Weather Oil-Dilution Problem

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... on-problem
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

I survived Florida.

Soon I find myself driving to Southfield MI.

My brother is learning to drive and was like “wait you have a drivers license” yeah. I just found my weakness lies in driving in snow and ice so it’s easier to not have a car. Rarely snows in May....
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 am Honda 1.5L Engine Suffers Cold-Weather Oil-Dilution Problem

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... on-problem
Is the engine in the Accord somehow different, or has it not been used in the Accord long enough to exhibit a problem?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

wannabe87 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 am I survived Florida.

Soon I find myself driving to Southfield MI.

My brother is learning to drive and was like “wait you have a drivers license” yeah. I just found my weakness lies in driving in snow and ice so it’s easier to not have a car. Rarely snows in May....
Just gun it everywhere and wrench the wheel haphazardly left and right; you'll be fine.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport