Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm Are you able to stroke your stick again with the Yota?

I've been vaguely opening my eyes lately to see if AWD can be had with a stick. I'm still a ways off and am not in a hurry, but curiosity gets the best of me. The new Mazda3 can be had with AWD or a stick, but I haven't heard a definitive answer about AWD and a stick.
As particular as Toyota is about keeping the 4runner traditional, manual is not an option. But I'm more than fine with it. If I'm honest, for true offroading an auto is better anyway. Id prefer it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Went to the auto show. The Impreza can get me mostly where I want with AWD (obvi) and a manual, but poop warmers and a sunroof can only be had with a CVT (ewe). It's a similar situation with the Crosstrek.

The Mazda3 can be had with either AWD or a manual, but not both. However, according to the auto show pamphlet they're thinking about releasing the Mazda3 with both.

Theoretically, I could look for a 2018 or older HR-V (meh) and find AWD plus a manual, but I'm not holding my breath. Not to mention that I can't imagine that thing has much oomph.

The Jeep lady looked constipated and so I didn't want to bother her too much.

All in all, my trip was about meh amounts of success.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

FIXD IT!
All in all, my trip was about meth amounts of success.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm Went to the auto show.
Sew, due yah thimpk that's because sci hat seat heaters, or 'cause she din hat seat heaters?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm Went to the auto show. The Impreza can get me mostly where I want with AWD (obvi) and a manual, but poop warmers and a sunroof can only be had with a CVT (ewe). It's a similar situation with the Crosstrek.

The Mazda3 can be had with either AWD or a manual, but not both. However, according to the auto show pamphlet they're thinking about releasing the Mazda3 with both.

Theoretically, I could look for a 2018 or older HR-V (meh) and find AWD plus a manual, but I'm not holding my breath. Not to mention that I can't imagine that thing has much oomph.

All in all, my trip was about meh amounts of success.
TWO MUNCH TOO COMMET AWN!! :o
eye fought impreza could bee had whiff Manuel und die other things, at least in the past. wut happened too the impreza sport? it had standard heated seats and optional moonroof (and other things standard and optional). did they get soft on us whiff the refresh? do not, whatever you drink or get dared to do, get an HR-V (beyond meh). don't think that one ever came with both AWD and the manuel anyway. manual (or auto) awd mazda 3 would be nice. glad you evaded the jeeps.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The showbot at the Subaru booth said the moonroof and heated seats weren't offered with a manual, but I'm not sure. I've contacted a dealer who might be more knowledgeable to see. If I recall the Impreza I drove a couple years ago had all the things that I want. Was that gorgeous teal/turquoise colour too.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 am MEANT TO REPLY TO THIS LAST WEEK...
congrats bro. glad to hear about all of your updates. glad you left that stresshole job and glad you like deep dark suffolk (as my nassau county friends like to call it). here's to a prosperous future.
Thanks Potowny- ended up working out. I received 3 job offers from all of my "hot leads" but ended up taking my career path to midtown NYC. I end up starting on the 20th and have some down time now to reinvigorate.

What does this mean for my car future? Pretty weird times but I guess this is adulting... I actually feel like I need an appliance now more than a car. '15 GTI again has nearly 50k on the odometer - just threw a code to let me know my key fob battery was dying. Change was quick but I don't think I've changed a battery in a key fob since my '95 Corolla now (@ 150k). Wife (that still sounds weird) still won't ever learn manual transmission and now that we're on our own essentially I would like to have two cars that we can interchangeably drive. My driving commute to the train station will be the least amount of miles I've put on any car since high school- it is literally going to be under a 15 mile round trip. I have to preface this for people who don't know what the LIRR is but my monthly ticket is going to cost $405 a month. Hoping to get 12-13k back on the GTI at some point this year (thanks Dieselgate). This is probably going to make everyone here cringe but with juggling rent, much higher commuter costs, and an inevitable mortgage looming around the corner I'm thinking about leasing a hybrid. :shock:

MENTALITY 1: I'm going to end up being safe with the mileage, I pretty much just need something to get me from A to B, and if I go back to automatic I matters well get some running costs back.

Options: Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla Hybrid, Honda Insight, Kia Niro

MENTALITY 2: Get a used boat that will be family friend in the future. It's going to sit in a train yard for 9 hours a day- 45 hours a week and the monthly car payment can be used towards the lack of fuel efficiency.

Options: Buick LaCrosse/Chevy Impala, Hyundai Azera, Kia Cadenza, Mazda 6, etc.

Would love to hear the opines :idea:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

If you can put up with a bit of an ugly duckling, the C-Max is supposed to be good. German tuned suspension, an orphan (should be cheap), I've heard from the internet cognoscenti that it compares favorably with the GTI...

Edit: didn't even catch the reference to a Mazda6. Yes, yes, do that. The resale is garbage, unfortunately, but that means a relatively recent model is pretty cheap. I'm not sure how traffic in NY works, but 34-36 isn't hard in steady state cruising. I've had mine to just under 40, granted under perfect conditions.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 am
eye fought impreza could bee had whiff Manuel und die other things, at least in the past. wut happened too the impreza sport? it had standard heated seats and optional moonroof (and other things standard and optional).
That's still what the configurator on the website says. Spokesmouth probably not fully informed about things not of personal interest.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

You're right. I kept getting weird looks when I expressed 0 interest in anything with a CVT.

Going to talk to a dealer, explain the situation and my circumstances, and gather information. It never hurts to arm yourself.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 pm Image
It never hurts to arm yourself.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm
potownrob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 am MEANT TO REPLY TO THIS LAST WEEK...
congrats bro. glad to hear about all of your updates. glad you left that stresshole job and glad you like deep dark suffolk (as my nassau county friends like to call it). here's to a prosperous future.
Thanks Potowny- ended up working out. I received 3 job offers from all of my "hot leads" but ended up taking my career path to midtown NYC. I end up starting on the 20th and have some down time now to reinvigorate.

What does this mean for my car future? Pretty weird times but I guess this is adulting... I actually feel like I need an appliance now more than a car. '15 GTI again has nearly 50k on the odometer - just threw a code to let me know my key fob battery was dying. Change was quick but I don't think I've changed a battery in a key fob since my '95 Corolla now (@ 150k). Wife (that still sounds weird) still won't ever learn manual transmission and now that we're on our own essentially I would like to have two cars that we can interchangeably drive. My driving commute to the train station will be the least amount of miles I've put on any car since high school- it is literally going to be under a 15 mile round trip. I have to preface this for people who don't know what the LIRR is but my monthly ticket is going to cost $405 a month. Hoping to get 12-13k back on the GTI at some point this year (thanks Dieselgate). This is probably going to make everyone here cringe but with juggling rent, much higher commuter costs, and an inevitable mortgage looming around the corner I'm thinking about leasing a hybrid. :shock:

MENTALITY 1: I'm going to end up being safe with the mileage, I pretty much just need something to get me from A to B, and if I go back to automatic I matters well get some running costs back.

Options: Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla Hybrid, Honda Insight, Kia Niro

MENTALITY 2: Get a used boat that will be family friend in the future. It's going to sit in a train yard for 9 hours a day- 45 hours a week and the monthly car payment can be used towards the lack of fuel efficiency.

Options: Buick LaCrosse/Chevy Impala, Hyundai Azera, Kia Cadenza, Mazda 6, etc.

Would love to hear the opines :idea:
OH NOES!! YOU SAID THE H WORD!!!! My sister’s ‘18 Accord Hybrid EX-L is awfully nice. Doesn’t really feel like a hybrid to me.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 pm You're right. I kept getting weird looks when I expressed 0 interest in anything with a CVT.

Going to talk to a dealer, explain the situation and my circumstances, and gather information. It never hurts to arm yourself.
half ewe cun sid dirt uh left over oar used forester?? Last gen forester premium could be had with Manuel, and they have heated seats and the panoramic roof. Note that (not that you’d get one) the ‘14 forester premiums didn’t come with the pano roof standard; it was a option that year. Also think the power seat with lumbar adjustment may have been optional on the premium that year too.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm getting my list of options built right now, up to and including keeping Malcolm and buying better snow tires. I'm a bit underwhelmed with the options available which I've been able to see.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 am OH NOES!! YOU SAID THE H WORD!!!! My sister’s ‘18 Accord Hybrid EX-L is awfully nice. Doesn’t really feel like a hybrid to me.
It's pretty crazy how good the fuel economy of the mid sizes from Toyota / Honda are at this point in hybrid format-- not so different then the smaller class cars.
If you can put up with a bit of an ugly duckling, the C-Max is supposed to be good. German tuned suspension, an orphan (should be cheap), I've heard from the internet cognoscenti that it compares favorably with the GTI...

Edit: didn't even catch the reference to a Mazda6. Yes, yes, do that. The resale is garbage, unfortunately, but that means a relatively recent model is pretty cheap. I'm not sure how traffic in NY works, but 34-36 isn't hard in steady state cruising. I've had mine to just under 40, granted under perfect conditions.
C-Max is a little too ugly haha-- I'm also a bit concerned about Ford dropping support for it considering it doesn't fit the 4 wheels and trunk format. Tankin, you actually have driven (or still drive) 2 models that I'd probably consider in the used market -- Mazda 6, Chrysler 300. I'm not super concerned with things like resale value if I did opt this route as I'd end up driving it until the wheels fall off. I have experience with the Mazda 6 and could safely see myself going that route. Chrysler 300 -- I love the way it looks and really like Uconnect but feel like I may shoot myself in the leg with reliability from FCA. Would definitely be looking at the 3.6L V6 with AWD unless I could be upsold on the 5.7L V8.

From the options I listed above I purposely named essentially models that weren't Toyota/Honda-- and cars that I feel had a good chance of being "lightly" used by a senior citizen. My main looks would purely be on reliability and size to support a small family.