Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Going in at 9 this am the highway was like between Christmas and New Years. Many stayed home because the kids were off school. I went home about 4 pm and there was a fair amount of traffic but things moved pretty good averaging 35-40 mph on highway if folks stayed out of the way.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've actually been surprised that people haven't flung themselves off into ditches more often. That said, tailgaters still abound because reasons apparently. I've never grokked the need to tailgate as a way to get to a place.

Glare ice has been our biggest issue.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 pm
Shadow wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Get the key out? Out of what? My keys never leave my pocket.
Took me a minute to get used to push button start, but now that I've had it for awhile I love it. The Mazda even has a walk away feature, whereby if I leave the car with the key in my pocket and don't actively lock it the car automatically locks. It's sometimes thwarted if I drive mom somewhere and she takes a bit longer to exit and I'm out of range before all the doors are closed. It gives a warning hoot of it's locking.
Yeah, my mom's Acura has that same feature. Pretty cool, I suppose. The only downside is that it's always locked, even in the garage. So you have to have the key with you if you want to run out to the garage to get something out of the car.

Seriously though, these new features are simply awesome. I love having an old school manual transmission in a car that has all the latest and greatest features otherwise. There's something great about having all the gadgets and still being able to row your own gears. But those days are limited. I think electrification is finally going to kill the manual transmission for good. I might just buy one more new manual trans vehicle before they disappear completely. And of course my plan is to keep my Audi forever because it's just an awesome car that does everything I want out of it and maybe a bit more.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

theholycow wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 pm

A modern hydraulic clutch has no feel anyway, so that's easy enough. Maybe they could use force-feedback technology from arcade game joysticks to transmit synchronizer feel...hmm...
Can't really agree with that. In my opinion, a hydraulic clutch usually has far less effort, but not really less feel. But even with hydraulics, you still have to overcome the tension of the pressure plate springs, which is probably where most of the "feel" comes from in the first place. I'd agree that a hydraulic clutch has a more consistent feel though, meaning more consistent through it's travel.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Shadow wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:19 pm

A modern hydraulic clutch has no feel anyway, so that's easy enough. Maybe they could use force-feedback technology from arcade game joysticks to transmit synchronizer feel...hmm...
Can't really agree with that. In my opinion, a hydraulic clutch usually has far less effort, but not really less feel. But even with hydraulics, you still have to overcome the tension of the pressure plate springs, which is probably where most of the "feel" comes from in the first place. I'd agree that a hydraulic clutch has a more consistent feel though, meaning more consistent through it's travel.
You are both right, actually. There are hydraulic clutches that are shit and have no feedback; basically just mushy travel all the way through, and there are hydraulic clutches that feel good, responsive and provide plenty of feedback.

Generally, I have noticed that sporty cars and cars that were built with manual in mind, general have better clutches than cars where manual comes with bare-bones trim level and is there mostly as an afterthought. MK5 Rabbit is what cow is thinking of and that clutch was pretty bad. But take a current Camaro SS's clutch, and the feel is excellent with plenty of very good feedback and overall feel. Same goes for the current GTI; maybe not as good as the Camaro, but not bad at all.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

With the -28° this morning, Malcolm has been thwapping my foot, doesn't want to give the clutch back. Like stepping in wallpaper paste.

Driving smoothly, not happening.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 am
Shadow wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:19 pm

You are both right, actually. There are hydraulic clutches that are shit and have no feedback; basically just mushy travel all the way through, and there are hydraulic clutches that feel good, responsive and provide plenty of feedback.

Generally, I have noticed that sporty cars and cars that were built with manual in mind, general have better clutches than cars where manual comes with bare-bones trim level and is there mostly as an afterthought. MK5 Rabbit is what cow is thinking of and that clutch was pretty bad. But take a current Camaro SS's clutch, and the feel is excellent with plenty of very good feedback and overall feel. Same goes for the current GTI; maybe not as good as the Camaro, but not bad at all.
Well, the clutch in my Audi feels pretty good. It definitely has light effort, but other than that I'd say it doesn't feel much different that any of the pre-hydraulic clutches that I've owned/driven in the past.

This reminds me of how people often complain about electric power steering. I've heard that for years now and I don't really notice much of a difference at all. Both of my current vehicles give the driver the ability to change the feel (which I assume is more likely the amount of assist) and I just find the setting that feels best to me and leave it there permanently.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Top-end Camaro gets automatic transmission - (i.e. Puppy gets left outside in polar vortex)

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ ... ansmission
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

First the Muskrat, now the Camaro? Booo!

Although I suppose if you want to get testicle about it, the Challenger was first.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 pm First the Muskrat, now the Camaro? Booo!

Although I suppose if you want to get testicle about it, the Challenger was first.

Yeah, but can you blame them after those idiots took it for a joy-ride and blew up the clutch?

Anyway, that was 33 years ago... who would even remember it?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HAH! Gas company just sent emails and phone messages that due to a fire at a pumping station there is a shortage of natural gas and we need to all turn down thermostats and commercial users curtail operations until Friday.

Talk about a scheduling conflict with the Polar Vortex.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 pm HAH! Gas company just sent emails and phone messages that due to a fire at a pumping station there is a shortage of natural gas and we need to all turn down thermostats and commercial users curtail operations until Friday.

Talk about a scheduling conflict with the Polar Vortex.
We turned ours from 72 to 68. My fibromyalgia doesn’t do well with cold. Im in 3 pairs pants and 2 shirts 2 pair socks and still cold.

I can’t get to 60....I did shut the door to the front entry way to keep cold there.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

As one can imagine, aaa has been swamped the last week from the vortex. We got Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and North Dakota plus Tennessee Georgia and Florida.

Poor Florida. It was 40 there the other day. This lady was complaining about being “freezing” at 60. I’ll trade. It’s -2f feels like -22 f. Happily trade. I’ll show her what cold is.

We possibly were going to suspend tire changes and battery installs yesterday due to frostbite. Can’t have people loosing fingers!

I’m headed in today (day off) yesterday there were 700 calls waiting to be answered at 9:30a when I left. I happily left, I had done my 12 hours
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

wannabe87 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:12 pm
We turned ours from 72 to 68. My fibromyalgia doesn’t do well with cold. Im in 3 pairs pants and 2 shirts 2 pair socks and still cold.

I can’t get to 60....I did shut the door to the front entry way to keep cold there.
[/quote]

Wow! That is a serious condition that can really hinder your activity in any season. My daughter has it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The desire to buy an old school bus and make a camper out of it is strong right now