Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Some Bozo wanted to require manual transmission cars to be in reverse to get the key out, eh? Reminds me how once a congressman proposed that they require seat belts on motorcycles!

Ha, my '63 Chevy had the key in the dashboard and you could start the car, pocket the key and drive off. The good old says when people had enough brains to operate dangerous equipment safely--and if they didn't, they paid for it. Seems fair enough!

Didn't VW Beetle have an auto clutch option? Seems I knew somebody had one and all you did was shift it. But that takes 90 p[ercent of the fun out of it. The intimacy is mainly in working the clutch because it was a special relationship that varied between cars and age of clutch etc. Anybody can move a lever, but it takes some skill to work a clutch properly.

So this DCT sounds like a Frankenstein's monster. Someone tried to make two partial manual transmissions, mate them with an extra clutch and pass it off as an automatic. So there must be a juice spinner somewhere in there?

So the traditional automatic with a juice spinner is at a stoplight. It is almost like driving with the brake on as the car wants to go and you are holding it back, so it is fighting against the stop.

I still expect the day when you go to check the oil and there is no latch but rather a sign that says, "Do Not Open. No User Serviceable Parts." Ninety percent of drivers couldn't care less about that as they have no idea what is under the hood nor want to know. They lease 2 years and turn it in. Bored of the stupid modern automotive styling that quick.

Obnoxious seems to be the styling cue for modern automotive design.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pm Some Bozo wanted to require manual transmission cars to be in reverse to get the key out, eh?
Get the key out? Out of what? My keys never leave my pocket.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pm Some Bozo wanted to require manual transmission cars to be in reverse to get the key out, eh?
Get the key out? Out of what? My keys never leave my pocket.
Took me a minute to get used to push button start, but now that I've had it for awhile I love it. The Mazda even has a walk away feature, whereby if I leave the car with the key in my pocket and don't actively lock it the car automatically locks. It's sometimes thwarted if I drive mom somewhere and she takes a bit longer to exit and I'm out of range before all the doors are closed. It gives a warning hoot of it's locking.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm The dual clutch in the Dart and single clutch in the diesel ProMaster both suck(ed) for their own reasons, on the topic of automated manuals.
Ford wasn't very successful with driver satisfaction with their dual-clutch automatics in the Fiesta and Focus. They designed them to eke out the highest fuel economy, but they didn't launch or shift very smoothly. Wet clutch DCTs are usually better at launch, because you can slip them and not have as much worries with clutch temperatures as you would with a dry clutch, but they aren't as fuel efficient. Adding a torque converter to launch like a "Normal" slushbox is probably better yet, but at that point, why not just give 'em a planetary-geared slushbox?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I've been driving the DCT equipped Focus on occassion (when mom doesn't need it) and don't find it to be egregiously difficult or annoying. It's possible that Ford got the bugs worked out in later iterations (mine is a 2017 after all) and I never drove the earlier ones with the high failure rates.Then again I'm used to driving my Mazda and I'm always a bit jiggly.

I'm still slightly leery about long-term durability, but the CPO warranty has helped allay some of those fears. I'd be curious about the moist clutch VWs.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:38 am I've been driving the DCT equipped Focus on occassion (when mom doesn't need it) and don't find it to be egregiously difficult or annoying. It's possible that Ford got the bugs worked out in later iterations (mine is a 2017 after all) and I never drove the earlier ones with the high failure rates.Then again I'm used to driving my Mazda and I'm always a bit jiggly.

I'm still slightly leery about long-term durability, but the CPO warranty has helped allay some of those fears. I'd be curious about the moist clutch VWs.

CPO warranty no wheres as good as new car warranty (let alone people's warranty), in my experience, fyi :? 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:20 pm
watkins wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm The dual clutch in the Dart and single clutch in the diesel ProMaster both suck(ed) for their own reasons, on the topic of automated manuals.
Ford wasn't very successful with driver satisfaction with their dual-clutch automatics in the Fiesta and Focus. They designed them to eke out the highest fuel economy, but they didn't launch or shift very smoothly. Wet clutch DCTs are usually better at launch, because you can slip them and not have as much worries with clutch temperatures as you would with a dry clutch, but they aren't as fuel efficient. Adding a torque converter to launch like a "Normal" slushbox is probably better yet, but at that point, why not just give 'em a planetary-geared slushbox?
what about Acura DCT w/ torque converter? supposedly very direct yet minimal shift shock; think it only uses torque converter on start-up and maybe low speeds, if that's possible. feat of engineering, iff eye say sew my self.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 am You know, I wouldn't be thrilled with clutch-by-wire or shift-by-wire (for one thing, I've always appreciated a fully independent mechanical backup in the event the computer goes full HAL-9000, plus they probably wouldn't get the feel right), but I'm still a little disappointed that the shift to everything-by-wire and SMGs hasn't led to the realization that the difference between manual and automatic could suddenly be a footbox module, a shifter module, and commenting out a few lines of code. It could even be different driving modes of the same vehicle. The writing seems to be on the wall but increasing parts commonality and reducing certification burden and logistical footprint for offering the option could go a long way to keeping the "faith" alive a while longer.
A modern hydraulic clutch has no feel anyway, so that's easy enough. Maybe they could use force-feedback technology from arcade game joysticks to transmit synchronizer feel...hmm...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pmDidn't VW Beetle have an auto clutch option? Seems I knew somebody had one and all you did was shift it.
Saab Sensonic
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The cousin living in my attic just called out of work because her 1 year old bit her tongue. The kid doesn't even care any more. f**k nuts. The only person who should be coddled in this house is me!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm The cousin living in my attic just called out of work because her 1 year old bit her tongue. The kid doesn't even care any more. f**k nuts. The only person who should be coddled in this house is me!
Why is small human close enough to bite cousin's tongue? That's a bit weird.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:26 pm
watkins wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm The cousin living in my attic just called out of work because her 1 year old bit her tongue. The kid doesn't even care any more. f**k nuts. The only person who should be coddled in this house is me!
There's a name for people who French-kiss with children. They have even better name for people who get to 2nd base with them.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Another Effort to Overcome the Peritoneal Shortage of Automotive Technicians

"FCA, citing data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, said there are approximately 750,000 auto technicians working in the U.S. But the industry will need to hire another 46,000 between 2019 and 2026 to meet increased demand."

https://www.autonews.com/nada-show/fca- ... 2-readmore
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:26 pm
lol, I was also confused at first.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, I left work earlier than usual today, just after 5 pm, and the roads were deserted. It was weird to not see any cars on the freeway for miles and miles. Eye bleef that a lot of people went home early to get a jump on clearing the snow, or to avoid a nasty afternoon rush-hour.