Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm driving a car, as a loaner, that would make Fork very cross. I have a 2018 CX-5 with radar adaptive snooze control, BondageSadoMasochism and auto hold (holds the brakes for the driver once the vehicle comes to a full stop, no feet necessary). I turned on the radar snooze just to see what it was like as well as the autohold. I immediately noticed myself becoming less attentive. Turned those features off.

The Bondage is even more intrusive than in Malcolm, yelling at me when a motorist drives passes in the opposing lane such as at a stop light.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

What/Who is Fork?? I'm intrigued bye the knew sea ex-fife (let alone the knew AWD Tree :shock: ), despite not being a hybrid (full out EVs be damped :evil: ). if it's anything like the newer hondas with the safety sense, you should be abel to turn off certain features of the safety suite; my sister turned off the blind spot beeping or whatever it does - it still lights up a yellow light shaped like a car in the side mirror if you get close to a car with the signals on. the base LX accord we drove as a loaner had a stripped down version of the safety sense where you couldn't change a lot, if anything, but it didn't have the blind spot warning system anyway. it DID have automatic highbeams though (not part of safety sense of course), which i found odd but good.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Fork is the artist formerly known as InlinePaul. I'm sure there's a way to shut the Bondage off, but it's not readily apparent and the menus and buttons are just different enough from Malcolm where I don't want to dig too much.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 pm I'm driving a car, as a loaner, that would make Fork very cross. I have a 2018 CX-5 with radar adaptive snooze control, BondageSadoMasochism and auto hold (holds the brakes for the driver once the vehicle comes to a full stop, no feet necessary). I turned on the radar snooze just to see what it was like as well as the autohold. I immediately noticed myself becoming less attentive. Turned those features off.

The Bondage is even more intrusive than in Malcolm, yelling at me when a motorist drives passes in the opposing lane such as at a stop light.
Sounds like a nightmare!
tankinbeans wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 am Fork is the artist formerly known as InlinePaul. I'm sure there's a way to shut the Bondage off, but it's not readily apparent and the menus and buttons are just different enough from Malcolm where I don't want to dig too much.
Only fix for it is to rip all the electronics off of it, toss a carburator on it and wire it up with 1960s wire loom. Yeah, put a road draft tube on it too! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 am
tankinbeans wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 pm I'm driving a car, as a loaner, that would make Fork very cross. I have a 2018 CX-5 with radar adaptive snooze control, BondageSadoMasochism and auto hold (holds the brakes for the driver once the vehicle comes to a full stop, no feet necessary). I turned on the radar snooze just to see what it was like as well as the autohold. I immediately noticed myself becoming less attentive. Turned those features off.

Sounds like a nightmare!
tankinbeans wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 am Fork is the artist formerly known as InlinePaul. I'm sure there's a way to shut the Bondage off, but it's not readily apparent and the menus and buttons are just different enough from Malcolm where I don't want to dig too much.
Only fix for it is to rip all the electronics off of it, toss a carburator on it and wire it up with 1960s wire loom. Yeah, put a road draft tube on it too! :lol:
:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've been refer to by "Rope" long enough that I knew who "Fork" was. You also could have said "One of our members" and by the context I woulds guessed.

Wasn't there an old Aesop's Fable about a collision warning system that cried "Pedestrian" too often as a prank and then later, when there really was a pedestrian walking out from between two cars parked along the curb,.....
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What are the odds that a gift for my wife scheduled to be delivered "By the 18th" would be delivered this morning, 5 minutes after we came home and 3 minutes after she went out on another task?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I tried thebradar cruise control in the GF's car and I wasn't too impressed. Felt a bit out of control. Also would stop paying as much attention and later realize that I'd been stuck behind a dude going 60 when normally I'd have passed him a long time ago.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:22 pm I tried thebradar cruise control in the GF's car and I wasn't too impressed. Felt a bit out of control. Also would stop paying as much attention and later realize that I'd been stuck behind a dude going 60 when normally I'd have passed him a long time ago.
There is this thing you can do to your frontal lobes by sticking a screwdriver tip under your lower lid and poking through the bone at the back of the eye socket that accomplishes about the same results, but screwdrivers are a lot cheaper. Just make sure you clean off the tip of the screwdriver before-hand (and after-hand, eye suppose).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:22 pm I tried thebradar cruise control in the GF's car and I wasn't too impressed. Felt a bit out of control. Also would stop paying as much attention and later realize that I'd been stuck behind a dude going 60 when normally I'd have passed him a long time ago.
WHICH CAR SHE ROCKS??
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 pm
There is this thing you can do to your frontal lobes by sticking a screwdriver tip under your lower lid and poking through the bone at the back of the eye socket that accomplishes about the same results, but screwdrivers are a lot cheaper. Just make sure you clean off the tip of the screwdriver before-hand (and after-hand, eye suppose).
BAD VISUAL BRO!!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:00 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 pm
BAD VISUAL BRO!!
Well,......OK, if you insist:

In actuality, I bleef they angle the tip upward more.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 am
WHICH CAR SHE ROCKS??
'16 RAV4 XLE. Not a bad car but definition of blandness if I ever saw one. She drives a lot for work so it's hammer reliability is great for her.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 am
WHICH CAR SHE ROCKS??
'16 RAV4 XLE. Not a bad car but definition of blandness if I ever saw one. She drives a lot for work so it's hammer reliability is great for her.
seems like a car better suited for up here in the snowy country, though it would be better for off-road driving than a lower car (or FWD if she has AWD). how's that ancient infotainment system? i believe that had the earliest version of the safety package, so not surprised it doesn't work well. would buy for better AWD system (locking diff at low speeds) and reliability. would prefer hybrid other than weirder AWD system. 2016 refresh nice though. lack of depreciation will probably keep me from getting one though. :cry:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 amWasn't there an old Aesop's Fable about a collision warning system that cried "Pedestrian" too often as a prank and then later, when there really was a pedestrian walking out from between two cars parked along the curb,.....
Boy Who Cried Wolf is an incredibly important and severely underrated social engineering issue in many contexts.

In social networking, some people forward every ridiculous piece of crap that they see. Security warnings, scams that victimize sick kids by appropriating their embarrassing photo for some unrelated garbage, years-old "missing kid" posts about kids that were found the next day, etc. The gullible ones think they're helping, and the rest tune them out categorically - so the real ones get ignored.
I wish there was a way I could explain it to the short-attention-span gullible ones and have them spend 30 seconds checking before forwarding.

In IT security, one example is the prevalence of phishing scam emails that pretend to be a notification about your account (whether your bank account, email account, amazon, etc); we want users to be vigilant when they receive such things, yet so many companies send legitimate stuff that looks just like common phishing scams...either users are going to spamcan your legitimate email (and get you blocked through RBLs and Bayesian systems) or they're going to fall for phishing scams because they're comfortable clicking a link in email and then entering their password. I'm very careful about how I notify my users.

Almost exactly the same issue exists for common phone scams. When your bank calls you they can't reasonably expect you to just trust them and give them personally identifiable information ("PII") to authenticate yourself without first authenticating themselves, but they have to because they can't reasonably authenticate themselves that way either. I can't think of a decent way to solve this problem either. You can use a pair of changeable, meaningless PINs/passphrases/etc, but that's not realistic for most users.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD