Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

So I did the thing again. As of Monday, we are the owners of a brandy new JL Wrangler two door in Basic Bitch White. The Mrs. wanted to get an auto for commuting (70+ miles a day), so we did. With that money spent, I figured it wouldnt hurt to spend a bit more for the 2.0 turbo, so we did. The massive fuel economy improvement should mean it pays for itself quickly, even taking mid-grade or premium gas. We're keeping the '11 Mazda 2 and the wagon. I'm going to rehome the Viggen to a friend. Unfortunately I just dont have enough driveway space for five cars (wife's cousin is moving in for a few months) and a trailer.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Noice!! Not sure why I always get excited about the new JL. Something about that dashboard perhaps. No qualms about reliability of turbo engine vs. pentastar?? Of course I’m talking to the Saab king... :lol: :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm I'm going to rehome the Viggen
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:46 pm Noice!! Not sure why I always get excited about the new JL. Something about that dashboard perhaps. No qualms about reliability of turbo engine vs. pentastar?? Of course I’m talking to the Saab king... :lol: :)
The Saab king who happens to be a Mopar Master Tech.

The engine is new to us, but has been around for a few years in the more Fiat-y side of FCA and from what Ive heard has been proven to be rather reliable. Not that Im ever really scared of turbo 4s. Im honestly a bit more apprehensive when it comes to the mild hybrid system. I just hope it can handle the unusual demands that will be placed on it in a Wrangler. Im sure we wont be stressing ours, but its something Ill have to keep an eye on in general.

I also really like the new interior. I was never much of a fan of either JK dash. Amanda can barely reach the pedals in those things. The JL is much more forgiving with the steering column. The seating position is all-around better for her, though I dont think it adjusts far enough down or back.

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I know. Ive had it for 9 1/2 years and 90k miles. Its made trips to WV for SS meets and to PA for Carlisle. Its really been a great car that owes me nothing and Im sure some day Ill hunt it back down. It deserves a good home, which is why its going to a Saab friend who knows its history with me well and plans to keep the spirit of Zero F*cks Viggen going. Hell, he only lives an hour from me so I could probably ask for visitation rights.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:55 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm
I know. Ive had it for 9 1/2 years and 90k miles. Its made trips to WV for SS meets and to PA for Carlisle. Its really been a great car that owes me nothing and Im sure some day Ill hunt it back down. It deserves a good home, which is why its going to a Saab friend who knows its history with me well and plans to keep the spirit of Zero F*cks Viggen going. Hell, he only lives an hour from me so I could probably ask for visitation rights.
...but keepin' the Viggen goin' made you spatial, Ed.
I guess we'll just have to go find some other Underdog ta root fur.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hF87mp_xek[/youtube]
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm So I did the thing again. As of Monday, we are the owners of a brandy new JL Wrangler two door in Basic Bitch White. The Mrs. wanted to get an auto for commuting (70+ miles a day), so we did. With that money spent, I figured it wouldnt hurt to spend a bit more for the 2.0 turbo, so we did. The massive fuel economy improvement should mean it pays for itself quickly, even taking mid-grade or premium gas. We're keeping the '11 Mazda 2 and the wagon. I'm going to rehome the Viggen to a friend. Unfortunately I just dont have enough driveway space for five cars (wife's cousin is moving in for a few months) and a trailer.
Congrats on the JL. I sat in one and I do not fit in it at all. Too bad as I'd like to have a jeep again at some point.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Tonebone, even I find the JL seating position to suck, and I'm a normally sized human.

It needs to allow for significantly more rearward and downward movement for me to be really comfortable.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 am Tonebone, even I find the JL seating position to suck, and I'm a normally sized human.

It needs to allow for significantly more rearward and downward movement for me to be really comfortable.
Kind of on a tangent, but I had a loaner F150 for a few days last week while my truck was getting a couple of recalls and small warranty work done. The loaner truck had manual seats as opposed to power in my truck. I found that the manual seats not only did not go up and down but the default height was far higher than in my truck. It was to the point that it was uncomfortable the entire time I had it. Normally within the same model of car I haven't seen such a drastic difference in seating geometry between manual and powered seats.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Proportionally speaking this thing is en pointe. It's not visually tacky, to my eyes anyway, and seems to answer a question. What question is anybody's guess though.

How many trucklettes in one stable is too many trucklettes? Will this one day take the place of the EcoSport?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Truck still at the shop for the damn oil pan leak that plagues the ecoboost motors. They fixed it (full replacement of the pan), it leaked after a week. I brought it back after noticing 8" oil spot in the parking spot. They found out of spec torque on the bolts holding the pan. Replaced bolts, tightened, claim to have tested by running the motor for 2 hours and gave it back to me. Leaked again within 24 hours. Brought it back and here I am, waiting for it to get fixed.

I was really hoping to have this truck for a while and not be paranoid of small niggling issues that are known to resurface (the recurring leaky pans are a very well known thing on the f150 boards). I originally thought I dodged that bullet with 35k on the truck as most owners seem to have the leaks early, but it came up anyways. Some have gone through 3-6 pans without a permanent fix and some have had Ford replace the long blocks to resolve the issue.

Maybe not the worst thing out there, but frustrating none the less. I went two full years without a single issue so I hope that this doesn't keep resurfacing, because if it does, I will sell the truck. My OCD will make me too paranoid forcing me to check oil multiple times a week just to make sure I catch the leak if/when it happens again.

Admittedly, I'm jealous when I hear folks all the time stating that they have had zero problems with their brand X car over tens of thousands of miles, yet I seem to always get acquainted with the dealerships on first name basis.

Let's go through 10 years of my auto history:
- 2008 Rabbit: premature throwout bearing and a few electronic issues.
- 2006 GTO: 2nd gear syncro problems, overheat that could not be diagnosed to determine root case, rear suspension issues; phantom clutch problems - sinking to floor with no resistance then working fine; no leaks
- 2006 TJ Rubicon: OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) issue - OPDA is driven off the cam gear and the OPDA gear is sacrificial to the cam and was heavily scalloped by 40k miles. Issue happens with 2005-2006 TJs. If OPDA fails, goodbye motor
- 2012 - Kia Soul - clutch and throwout bearing issues - noise and clutch irregularities
- 2012 Chevy Sonic - complete lemon that I wasn't able to formally lemon - 3 water pumps, subframe, new front struts, BT module, loss of vac (forget the part that failed), total failure of brake booster, mirror and trim falling off, etc. It was a huuuge POS
- 2015 Subaru Forester - burned oil like most 2.5 boxers
- 2016 Ford F150 - the damned oil pan leak that Ford can't fix permanently

Maybe my expectations are too high and tolerance of issues at low mileage is too low. I don't know, but it's frustrating to me, so thanks for letting me vent.

EDIT: my most reliable vehicle in the last 10 years has been my Suzuki motorcycle. I've owned it for like 3 years from 3k miles to ~22k currently, which is relatively high mileage for a motorcycle, yet I am yet to have a single issue with it. I've changed oil, tires and chain/sprockets; that's it, and it routinely sees redline.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 pm Image
Fickset
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 pm Truck still at the shop for the damn oil pan leak that plagues the ecoboost motors. They fixed it (full replacement of the pan), it leaked after a week. I brought it back after noticing 8" oil spot in the parking spot. They found out of spec torque on the bolts holding the pan. Replaced bolts, tightened, claim to have tested by running the motor for 2 hours and gave it back to me. Leaked again within 24 hours. Brought it back and here I am, waiting for it to get fixed.

I was really hoping to have this truck for a while and not be paranoid of small niggling issues that are known to resurface (the recurring leaky pans are a very well known thing on the f150 boards). I originally thought I dodged that bullet with 35k on the truck as most owners seem to have the leaks early, but it came up anyways. Some have gone through 3-6 pans without a permanent fix and some have had Ford replace the long blocks to resolve the issue.

Maybe not the worst thing out there, but frustrating none the less. I went two full years without a single issue so I hope that this doesn't keep resurfacing, because if it does, I will sell the truck. My OCD will make me too paranoid forcing me to check oil multiple times a week just to make sure I catch the leak if/when it happens again.

Admittedly, I'm jealous when I hear folks all the time stating that they have had zero problems with their brand X car over tens of thousands of miles, yet I seem to always get acquainted with the dealerships on first name basis.

Let's go through 10 years of my auto history:
- 2008 Rabbit: premature throwout bearing and a few electronic issues.
- 2006 GTO: 2nd gear syncro problems, overheat that could not be diagnosed to determine root case, rear suspension issues; phantom clutch problems - sinking to floor with no resistance then working fine; no leaks
- 2006 TJ Rubicon: OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) issue - OPDA is driven off the cam gear and the OPDA gear is sacrificial to the cam and was heavily scalloped by 40k miles. Issue happens with 2005-2006 TJs. If OPDA fails, goodbye motor
- 2012 - Kia Soul - clutch and throwout bearing issues - noise and clutch irregularities
- 2012 Chevy Sonic - complete lemon that I wasn't able to formally lemon - 3 water pumps, subframe, new front struts, BT module, loss of vac (forget the part that failed), total failure of brake booster, mirror and trim falling off, etc. It was a huuuge POS
- 2015 Subaru Forester - burned oil like most 2.5 boxers
- 2016 Ford F150 - the damned oil pan leak that Ford can't fix permanently

Maybe my expectations are too high and tolerance of issues at low mileage is too low. I don't know, but it's frustrating to me, so thanks for letting me vent.

EDIT: my most reliable vehicle in the last 10 years has been my Suzuki motorcycle. I've owned it for like 3 years from 3k miles to ~22k currently, which is relatively high mileage for a motorcycle, yet I am yet to have a single issue with it. I've changed oil, tires and chain/sprockets; that's it, and it routinely sees redline.
maybe time to go full circle and get another VW. or maybe another rusted out integra. :D :mrgreen: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

That's strange. My friend had his 2015 F150 (with the 2.7 no less) for 86k miles and never mentioned any issues with his oil pan leaking, then traded it for a 2018 when the lease was up. Then again he's the type who, by default, owns a better thing than anybody else and may not have mentioned it. I have a habit of throwing that in his face whenever his greatest thing since sliced bread displays problems, and my inferior product doesn't.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 am That's strange. My friend had his 2015 F150 (with the 2.7 no less) for 86k miles and never mentioned any issues with his oil pan leaking, then traded it for a 2018 when the lease was up. Then again he's the type who, by default, owns a better thing than anybody else and may not have mentioned it. I have a habit of throwing that in his face whenever his greatest thing since sliced bread displays problems, and my inferior product doesn't.
yeah, sounds familiar. kinda like our golf vs. focus battles on here. golf's not perfect, but i still think it's a good car and feel compelled to recommend it to others. tone-bone driving a new tiguan or atlas (or golf sportwagen :twisted: ) would be an interesting sight...