Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
MH86
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 VW Jetta SE

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by MH86 »

Teamwork wrote:Don't want to say a told you so situation through and through but it couldn't be anymore black and white. Part that pisses me off the most is the fact that I was originally denied this TSB work straight up. "No applicable symptoms apply to this TSB", was the reasoning... now all of a sudden they honor it and the car has the coldest A/C it's probably had since month 1. I don't want to jinx it but I didn't even realize it's literally been 7 days now since I got it repaired.
That sucks that they denied the TSB initially, but your A/C finally working definitely sounds like a step in the right direction.
Some really wonky stuff with these VW's that I literally have never experienced on any sort of other vehicle no matter what price point, class, or region made. My windshield wipers weren't clearing water from the windshield and this was revealed since week 1 or 2 of ownership. There was some sort of "film" on the windshield that basically made the windshield wipers smear and chatter across so I literally claybar'ed my windshield within a month of ownership and haven't had a problem since but now my windshield wipers are already "worn out" somehow (Just over 1 year). Also, I noticed that if you wax and keep the car clean that water from the roof will just WATERFALL into the car whether you have the window cracked or open the door to get out of the car. Apparently this has been acceptable for 3 generations of GTI's :D
So far, I haven't noticed anything wonky with my car, although I probably just jinxed it by saying so :)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Other than you EPiC light blasting off for no reason?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Eye ham going to the "Orphan CAr Show" tomorrow in Ypsilanti, MI.

There are a few makes and models that were produced in the Ypsilanti area that are no longer in production now, like Kaiser Frazers, Corvairs, and Liberators (OK, so the Liberators were WWII bomber planes).

Here is the link for Orphan car Show on the Autopalooza website:

http://www.autopalooza.org/ocs.html#img/ocs/1.jpg

Here is from the Ypsilanti Auto Heritage Museum Site:

http://ypsiautoheritage.org/events/orph ... side-park/

Here is a Link to an event flyer:

http://ypsiautoheritage.org/wp-content/ ... -Flyer.pdf
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Curse you, Red Barron, and your little dog too. Why is everything fun not in my state?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Curse you, Red Barron, and your little dog too. Why is everything fun not in my state?
There is fun stuff everywhere, but half the battle is getting the word out. I'd like to see further consolidation of local auto enthusiast events to be listed on the Autopalooza website. Eye mist the car show at the former Packard Proving Grounds this year.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Other than you EPiC light blasting off for no reason?
talking to the wrong V-Dubber 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: I wanted a 5th generation in high school. I still think that it looks good today in this day and age. The 6th generation didn't appeal to me what so ever... the 7th generation I thought was a pretty attractive car but dated for the class pretty much within a year in. The new one only gets 20/30 mpg I think it's rated which seems pretty crappy honestly for something that's FWD and CVT.
i dig the new maxima, but the last 2 or 3 gens (between the 5th gen and the new one) were ugly inside and/or out. 5.5 gen was about the epitome. thing is when i was ready to get rid of my 4th gen maxima (98 maxima in 2010), i was ready for something more comfortable, and considered the maxima an uncomfortable car (hard seats). the 5th gen was said to have similarly uncomfortable seats. the newer maximas were out of my reach at that point. i ended up getting an underpowered 96 accord ex manual to replace the maxima. it was more comfortable, luxurious feeling and had a sunroof, but it took a good 1500+ in repairs to get it in good driving condition, and then the power windows still didn't work. looking back, i should've kept that one longer, but at the time i was just afraid of it breaking down. that said, it was much more reliable than the maxima during the last few years i had it. btw, the car i wanted in high school was that very 96 accord, but ideally in coupe form. :lol:
Side bar: I did consider Nissan when I was looking at cars... I was looking at a Nismo Juke with the 6 speed manual. It was actually one of the first cars I test drove and inquired in my search. Thing wasn't too bad but I can't get over how lifted off the ground it felt compared to other things even in Nismo form. I couldn't stand the sales experience... the guy who so hands off and passive when I was with him (he honestly seemed bored that I was a potential sale) but after I left he proceeded to call me two times a day for about two weeks. I had to basically shut this guy personally. I might never even consider a Nissan ever again after this experience.
i never car shopped at nissan dealers for me, but i went at least twice with my sister. both experiences i remember were awkward. one was for a used car (sister ended up with a used 98 corolla), other was for a new car. used car salesman proved to be a laidback but still stereotypical used car salesman. the kind who would say (and did) that he doesn't like hondas just to get you to stop talking about them, then you see him driving down the road in a honda (which he did). the other one was one of those retards who act like they don't need your business. i don't think he realized how bad he was. nissans were at their trashiest then (early 2000s), so that made it easy for us to not want one.
In other news my A/C has been holding up strong since the repair... I didn't even realize this may be the first week I've ever had the car and the A/C has worked consistently for 7 consecutive days. A Christmas miracle in September.
hip hip HOORAY!!!! :D :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Don't want to say a told you so situation through and through but it couldn't be anymore black and white. Part that pisses me off the most is the fact that I was originally denied this TSB work straight up. "No applicable symptoms apply to this TSB", was the reasoning... now all of a sudden they honor it and the car has the coldest A/C it's probably had since month 1. I don't want to jinx it but I didn't even realize it's literally been 7 days now since I got it repaired.

Some really wonky stuff with these VW's that I literally have never experienced on any sort of other vehicle no matter what price point, class, or region made. My windshield wipers weren't clearing water from the windshield and this was revealed since week 1 or 2 of ownership. There was some sort of "film" on the windshield that basically made the windshield wipers smear and chatter across so I literally claybar'ed my windshield within a month of ownership and haven't had a problem since but now my windshield wipers are already "worn out" somehow (Just over 1 year). Also, I noticed that if you wax and keep the car clean that water from the roof will just WATERFALL into the car whether you have the window cracked or open the door to get out of the car. Apparently this has been acceptable for 3 generations of GTI's :D
my issue is with the stupid cheap seals around the doors and sunroof. look at the seals on dem doors when you get a chance. why the hell are they felt padded??

as for windshield wipers, 1 year is about the life expectancy for them; don't expect them to replace them for free for you. just go to the store and get new ones and do it yourself. my front wipers have been behaving lately; rear wiper sometimes bounces around if it remembers i sprayed wax on there during the last carwash... :lol: 8)
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

What came about with this? I think I read someone on the vortex experiencing similar symptoms and final outcome being the EPC light but I don't think his ever reset?
i never car shopped at nissan dealers for me, but i went at least twice with my sister. both experiences i remember were awkward. one was for a used car (sister ended up with a used 98 corolla), other was for a new car. used car salesman proved to be a laidback but still stereotypical used car salesman. the kind who would say (and did) that he doesn't like hondas just to get you to stop talking about them, then you see him driving down the road in a honda (which he did). the other one was one of those retards who act like they don't need your business. i don't think he realized how bad he was. nissans were at their trashiest then (early 2000s), so that made it easy for us to not want one.
I think around where I live Nissan and Honda are probably the worst in terms of dealership experience. It's tried and true factory assembly line procedures where they just recycle one liners and try and take the shirt off your back. I remember leaving off with this guy who was so passive and non-chalant during my time there basically saying that I didn't think I really liked the car and then him calling me for next 1.5-2 weeks in regards to finalizing the sale and trying to tell me the Juke was in high demand. Car wasn't even really that bad though during the test drive but it just wasn't really what I was looking for and it lacked serious practicality for what it "looked like".
my issue is with the stupid cheap seals around the doors and sunroof. look at the seals on dem doors when you get a chance. why the hell are they felt padded??

as for windshield wipers, 1 year is about the life expectancy for them; don't expect them to replace them for free for you. just go to the store and get new ones and do it yourself. my front wipers have been behaving lately; rear wiper sometimes bounces around if it remembers i sprayed wax on there during the last carwash... :lol: 8)
This in my eyes is literally a design flaw because I don't know anyone who doesn't complain about them. It's one of the first things I questioned arriving to the VW dealership... "why are these a suede felt like material". I think they've been holding up okay but they cause a ton of door squeaks and don't seal water out that well. I think it's used under the impression that it'll seal better for wind/road noise (debateable if it actually does) but yeah- I think gummi pfledge has to be used on the inside rubber portion to prevent it from squeaking every few months.

1 year life expectancy of windshield wipers? With all the measures that this car has for preventing pre mature wear (starting the car up/shutting them down alternates the side the blade rests on) I would figure better lol. Another majority consensus with the stock blades being absolute junk.

I typically prefer sun roofs if possible but I read going in so many issues with the sun roof whether it be vibrations, squeaking, or the mechanism to open and close failing that I pretty much knew going in I wanted an S and only an S. I wasn't crazy about the cover to "shut the light coming through" wasn't opaque either. Is that a European thing because the only other cars I tested that was the same way was the mini cooper and Fiat 500... everything domestic and Asian had an opaque board.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:1 year life expectancy of windshield wipers? With all the measures that this car has for preventing pre mature wear (starting the car up/shutting them down alternates the side the blade rests on) I would figure better lol. Another majority consensus with the stock blades being absolute junk.
Interesting. I remember my 2008 VW's blades being excellent and don't remember any complaints from others. When they finally wore out I didn't replace the whole blade (since those newfangled square-button ones were so expensive, hopefully less now), I just bought old-fashioned refills and replaced the inserts and then they were good as new.

I was also extremely impressed with VW's OEM washer fluid and wished I could have sourced more at a reasonable price, but it seemed like (at least at the time) it was unavailable in the US. I ended up in the habit of mixing my own for a while.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
What came about with this? I think I read someone on the vortex experiencing similar symptoms and final outcome being the EPC light but I don't think his ever reset?
EPiC light never came back on after unscrewing oil cap. No lights ever since and that was over a month ago iirc.
I think around where I live Nissan and Honda are probably the worst in terms of dealership experience. It's tried and true factory assembly line procedures where they just recycle one liners and try and take the shirt off your back. I remember leaving off with this guy who was so passive and non-chalant during my time there basically saying that I didn't think I really liked the car and then him calling me for next 1.5-2 weeks in regards to finalizing the sale and trying to tell me the Juke was in high demand. Car wasn't even really that bad though during the test drive but it just wasn't really what I was looking for and it lacked serious practicality for what it "looked like".
i have a very hard time taking Nissan seriously, since the late 90s at least. if you're gonna be or act like you're full of yourself, you better have something to back it up.

This in my eyes is literally a design flaw because I don't know anyone who doesn't complain about them. It's one of the first things I questioned arriving to the VW dealership... "why are these a suede felt like material". I think they've been holding up okay but they cause a ton of door squeaks and don't seal water out that well. I think it's used under the impression that it'll seal better for wind/road noise (debateable if it actually does) but yeah- I think gummi pfledge has to be used on the inside rubber portion to prevent it from squeaking every few months.

1 year life expectancy of windshield wipers? With all the measures that this car has for preventing pre mature wear (starting the car up/shutting them down alternates the side the blade rests on) I would figure better lol. Another majority consensus with the stock blades being absolute junk.

I typically prefer sun roofs if possible but I read going in so many issues with the sun roof whether it be vibrations, squeaking, or the mechanism to open and close failing that I pretty much knew going in I wanted an S and only an S. I wasn't crazy about the cover to "shut the light coming through" wasn't opaque either. Is that a European thing because the only other cars I tested that was the same way was the mini cooper and Fiat 500... everything domestic and Asian had an opaque board.
i read something about vw seals being crappy, like its one of the areas where they cut costs. I have a stick of the gummi in my glovebox and have already used it on the doors and sunroof multiple times. Not all vws have the sunroof with the screen; most of the smaller moonroofs get the solid cover. I'd take the pano roof with mesh cover over the little moonroof any day though. The cover does a good enough job of keeping light out and you get a lot of light into the cabin through the roof. As for wiper blades, 6-12 months looks to be the life expectancy. I usually replace mine in the spring, after they get decimated during the winter.... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the ... s-last.htm
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Interesting. I remember my 2008 VW's blades being excellent and don't remember any complaints from others. When they finally wore out I didn't replace the whole blade (since those newfangled square-button ones were so expensive, hopefully less now), I just bought old-fashioned refills and replaced the inserts and then they were good as new.

I was also extremely impressed with VW's OEM washer fluid and wished I could have sourced more at a reasonable price, but it seemed like (at least at the time) it was unavailable in the US. I ended up in the habit of mixing my own for a while.
I feel like they were destined to fail from the start. I mean the first times it rained they basically couldn't perform it's basic function (more the windshield then the wipers themselves) but since that point it's basically just been "good enough" but progressively getting worse.

Fun fact that rain X (the orange fluid) fluid destroys VW/Audi washer sensors. So it's really OEM or some generic blue stuff with the addition of distilled water.
i read something about vw seals being crappy, like its one of the areas where they cut costs. I have a stick of the gummi in my glovebox and have already used it on the doors and sunroof multiple times. Not all vws have the sunroof with the screen; most of the smaller moonroofs get the solid cover. I'd take the pano roof with mesh cover over the little moonroof any day though. The cover does a good enough job of keeping light out and you get a lot of light into the cabin through the roof. As for wiper blades, 6-12 months looks to be the life expectancy. I usually replace mine in the spring, after they get decimated during the winter.... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the ... s-last.htm
I think for basically ever I have replaced wiper blades between a 1-2 year basis and probably closer to 2 year. I know for a fact I literally have never replaced a blade inside of less then a year though. I usually wait until one of the ends starts to shear off for what it's worth but I'm sure people have done worse.

I've never seen a community that relies on gummi pfledge as much as we do...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:Fun fact that rain X (the orange fluid) fluid destroys VW/Audi washer sensors. So it's really OEM or some generic blue stuff with the addition of distilled water.
I used to like orange Rain-X winter fluid but I got tired of its orange solid fractions precipitating and leaving a stained mess of everything it touched.

My home summer mix varies by whim and whatever stuff happens to within reach, but plain dish soap, original Rain-X glass treatment concentrate (not meant for use in washer fluid, just meant for wiping on) or reasonable facsimile, water, and cheap blue stuff are usual. I would never have expected soapy washer fluid to be a good idea but that VW OEM stuff was soapy and worked great, so I tried making my own and found it to work equally great. The soap may or may not help remove crud but it definitely helps clarity during and after washing/wiping and probably helps lubricate the blades so they're less likely to chatter. Just like the VW OEM stuff it does leave an increased haze around the edges where the wipers don't touch.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

scheissenkrieg!! eye just bought 2 bottles of the orange stuff at advance auto (was 2 for 7). i may still try it; i've read conflicting views of the supposed rain-x issues (some have no issues with it). either way, i have to get this rain-x green (bug wash) out of the tank and something that won't freeze into the tank soon. 8)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: I think for basically ever I have replaced wiper blades between a 1-2 year basis and probably closer to 2 year. I know for a fact I literally have never replaced a blade inside of less then a year though. I usually wait until one of the ends starts to shear off for what it's worth but I'm sure people have done worse.
eating man is like that, and with cars and stuff in general. he'll take my old wipers if they fit, after his totally disintegrate. i replace mine after they show signs of wearing out. occasional streaking, bouncing or not staying in contact with the windshield are signs to me. the blades are usually still usable when i replace them, and i sometimes use them temporarily on other cars that really need new wipers, until i get to the store to buy new ones. if the wipers start failing over the winter, i usually try to wait until the spring to replace them, to avoid the ice destroying them. the hotter weather may be worse on the wipers, but it seems to take longer up here for the sun to destroy them vs. using them to clear ice. i've noticed on my wagons, hatches and SUV (CUV?) with the rear wiper that the rear wiper doesn't last as long as the front wipers. i'll probably still try to wait til the spring to replace the rear wiper, despite it already showing occasional signs of wear.
I've never seen a community that relies on gummi pfledge as much as we do...
:lol: :oops: :evil: :lol: :oops: :lol: :evil: :oops: :lol: