Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by wannabe »

question: I've been called "weird" by co-workers for putting my foot on the brake to start a car - auto or stick.

Is this a thing that i gleaned from driving stick or is it a real thing auto drivers do too???

It came up because a lady couldn't start her car, driver came out and started it by putting foot on brake to start car. car started.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't personally do it, but I've heard of it before. Did this happy lady have a keyless ignition? Many of those require a step on tje brake before they'll start.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've never had a vehicle with a dinger for the parking brake. Does the '02 have that too? My '97 doesn't. I think some modification would be in order.

I usually press the brake when starting because you lose the redundancy of the engine compression when you press the clutch to start. It also seems kind of silly not to in an automatic since you'll usually be shifting it into gear forthwith, for which the brake needs to be depressed. Also agree with tank...I think all the push-button-start vehicles I've dealt with require it. I'm not sure how they square the apparent perceived need for that safety feature with remote start.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

...unless you're waiting for idle to stabilize. At that point holding the brake down seems a waste.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Bill B wrote:Speaking of parking brakes...I hate those new push button parking brakes. With the conventional parking brake, a new manual driver could use it as a hill holder gradually letting it off as they start.
According to a member who has posted about how he loves the electric parking brake, it releases itself automatically when a good launch is detected. It's probably not gradual though.

I dislike them for different reasons. I wouldn't mind a mechanical one that automatically operates the same lever/pedal that the driver does. I would mind not having a low-tech mechanically operated emergency backup braking system. The classic parking brake system has some deficiencies, but it is a tried-and-true system and I'm not sold on the advantages of the new stuff.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

wannabe wrote:question: I've been called "weird" by co-workers for putting my foot on the brake to start a car - auto or stick.

Is this a thing that i gleaned from driving stick or is it a real thing auto drivers do too???

It came up because a lady couldn't start her car, driver came out and started it by putting foot on brake to start car. car started.
I used to always do that. I've lost the habit, but IMO it is a good habit. It's harmless, it helps you test the brakes before you're shifting/in gear, and in the incredibly unlikely event of an in-gear start due to mechanical malfunction it reduces the chance/severity of accident.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:The DRL-off position is the first detent of parking brake.
That is also the "DING DING DING YOUR PARKING BRAKE IS ON SO THIS CHIME WILL CONTINUE AT ITS DEAFENINGLY LOUD LEVEL" position.

Funny story: I use the parking brake in automatics as well as manuals, and some people don't get it. I let someone drive my Pontiac once and when she came back she complained of sluggish acceleration, smoke from the rear, etc. I don't know how she dealt with that handbrake handle sticking up, or that horrid chime constantly dinging.
Not all cars have that loud ding, or any ding for that matter.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:I've never had a vehicle with a dinger for the parking brake. Does the '02 have that too? My '97 doesn't. I think some modification would be in order.
Yes, but it's less horrifically loud and more useful since that truck has a foot-operated parking brake that doesn't provide the lever sticking in my side/more visibly sticking up indication that it's engaged, just the indicator light on the dash. Oh, and that truck has the crappiest, most worthless parking brake system ever, so bad that I wouldn't care if it was replaced with a newfangled electric one. Yay, it doesn't require the leg strength of someone more than 4 years old, but it also doesn't hold the vehicle nor does the pedal stay up if a stiff wind blows on it.

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

In most cases they're not that way new, and if they're properly tensioned they don't get that way. Of course, it's in a hostile environment, so the turnbuckle isn't easy to work with as they age. Mine's kind of jury-rigged.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Unfortunately, mine was pretty lame new, and not designed to last or be reasonably serviceable. The cable is a normal cable and not expensive or weird (though the last time a parts store gave me a wrong one I jury-rigged it by crimping a home-made spacer on to take up some slack because I couldn't find those little cable clamps anywhere), the pedal is a little lame but could be worse...but the mechanism, with miniature drums inside the disc brake rotors, suffers from horrid engineering and worse manufacturing. It depends on a weak, corrosion-attracting little clip that attaches to the hub with an undersized machine screw. The whole system becomes a terrible mess in short order, at least in New England road salt, and even when it's new it is ridiculous to adjust to the lame-ass level it can even be adjusted.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
watkins wrote: Image
Even if its not long term I still just need the change.
Fickset
:lol:

Cannot picture Watkins working at a coffee shop, be it Dunkin', Starbucks or an independent shop in some hippie town (that sounds like fun though). I assume he got another mechanic/tech job though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:Unfortunately, mine was pretty lame new, and not designed to last or be reasonably serviceable. The cable is a normal cable and not expensive or weird (though the last time a parts store gave me a wrong one I jury-rigged it by crimping a home-made spacer on to take up some slack because I couldn't find those little cable clamps anywhere), the pedal is a little lame but could be worse...but the mechanism, with miniature drums inside the disc brake rotors, suffers from horrid engineering and worse manufacturing. It depends on a weak, corrosion-attracting little clip that attaches to the hub with an undersized machine screw. The whole system becomes a terrible mess in short order, at least in New England road salt, and even when it's new it is ridiculous to adjust to the lame-ass level it can even be adjusted.
tl;drr... Reminds me of my 98 maxima though with its poorly designed e-brake cable routing. That car had the handle running cable that split into two cables, one running to the left and one to the right rear wheels. On the way back though, they were routed under some apparently (or eventually) sharp metal that eventually would cut the cables. E-brakes almost never held on anything more than a flat surface and had to leave it in gear. Mechanic fixed it once, but when it happened again, he told me to not bother and just leave it in gear. It was apparently still good enough to pass inspection, at least when he was inspecting it.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Haha, I don't know how this went from DRL, to parking lights, to E-brake motives but...

-The parking lights for the MK7 relies on the DRL which is basically not minimized in any sort of brightness. The reason why I coded to dim mine is because the handful of occasions where it's suitable to use parking lights (which is typically at Dusk) the max brightness of the DRL is overkill for sure and blinding to on comers. I lost the DOT reflectors in my rear tail lights switching to LED euro models but I still have the rear bumper reflectors and my license plate holder is also DOT cert but I will probably be more mindful about it out east on Long Island where street lights are either few and far between or non existent.

-I've always liked the idea behind DRL's and why they exist. It's just some companies implemented them within their cars better then others. I can say that directly for me that it's much easier to use side mirrors and spot DRL's then an older vehicle without them if I'm changing lanes.

-I've never heard of an E-brake chime in any vehicle of ever experienced. I pull up the e-brake in my automatics too. I'm not a fan of the button/electronic ones but I don't really have too much experience with them though my mothers Azera has it. I like the direct line of sight of whether seeing the lever is up or down.

- A little fun (or not so fun fact) about the MK7 generation of the Golf. The cable underneath the car for the emergency brake is highly visible and just "hanging out there". It's an afterthought for the NA vehicles because the rest of the world got an electronic button E-brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

In unrelated to car things does anyone here play Golf? Starting to migrate it into a hobby.. and would appreciate any pointers and tips! Seems very intimidating for newbies... :shock:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: [...]
-I've never heard of an E-brake chime in any vehicle of ever experienced. I pull up the e-brake in my automatics too. I'm not a fan of the button/electronic ones but I don't really have too much experience with them though my mothers Azera has it. I like the direct line of sight of whether seeing the lever is up or down.

- A little fun (or not so fun fact) about the MK7 generation of the Golf. The cable underneath the car for the emergency brake is highly visible and just "hanging out there". It's an afterthought for the NA vehicles because the rest of the world got an electronic button E-brake.
i think my sister's '11 accord has a chime or beep for the ebrake, but it doesn't go off til you've been driving for at least 20 seconds if not much longer. I don't remember if the '15 accord had one. As for th Golf e-brake - definitely an afterthought. Lever is vague as hell and not even sure if it's holding well. Beats the maxima though. Also prefer this over electronic so I can turn off the DRLs and still move around at night.