Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

My uneducated stance is that if you've only been tooling around with everyday driving it doesn't seem necessary. I don't dip into boost all that often and keep an eye on the oil temp gauge, which only rarely goes above 200 if ever. There's not a lot of heat generated outside of the ordinary, under typical conditions, and it seems completely unnecessary.

That's not to say the bloatmobiles with tiny turbos for the vehicle size might not need extra care. An Explorer with the 2.0 turbo is going to dip into boost more lften than my car dips into boost. It might get hotter and need a chill period.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
watkins wrote:
tankinbeans wrote: Grats!

Did I miss the slappy moos? You took one of the stricter, but more rewarding, better bossed jobs?
Purty murch

Better pay, a bossguy I like, and a change of atmosphere. The commute will suck and I will miss the majority of people I work with though. Even if its not long term I still just need the change.
Change is usually good. A re-freshed start and new experiences...

What is everyone's take on forced induction vehicles process when shutting them off? Is it still a standard practice to let the car run idle in neutral for a minute after jogging it for quite a bit of miles? Is that still a necessary thing? Was it ever a necessary thing?
haha i like the term bossguy, like in a video game or something. as for the F/I cooldown thing, according to a thread on the vortex (when i looked it up), we don't have to run a cooldown with our little turbos. The most anyone recommended was like 1-2 minutes and that was after a lot of boostaging. i typically run my car for at least 30 seconds before turning it off. either way, a fan or something whirring usually comes on as soon as i turn the engine off and runs for a few minutes.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

SS meat tonight in CT. Much fun had. Many food consumed. Very clutch destroyed. Too lazy to post pics now (can't find card reader, too much food and drink consumed, and too tired too).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:i don't care much when it's auto lights that turned them on. if i did something to cause them to stay on, that's different. plus, i don't like using the fogs during the day. that's not what they're for. i cringe when i see all these obliviots with their fogs on all day long.
Of all the lights to have unnecessarily on, I find most halogen OEM fog lights among the least offensive.

As mentioned, sometimes DRLs have used fog lights instead of high beams and I haven't seen a single one that bothered me. Additionally, in cars not equipped with automatic headlights, when it gets dark people won't see the little bit of dim light thrown by their fog-DRLs and fail to turn on their headlights...which is something that often happens with headlight-based DRLs.

Best DRLs of all, though, are parking/turn signal based ones (some GMs, maybe early 2000s, and occasionally other models/manufacturers), or dedicated DRLs that aren't designed to project a beam like a headlight. My 2002 GMC 1500 has dedicated ones; they use a common turn signal bulb and have a little lens. I don't remember if there is a reflector behind them but if there is then it's not configured to glare at all. DRLs like that do exactly their job, which is to make the vehicle more conspicuous and indicate that it is driving, without causing ANY glare or lulling drivers into not turning on their headlights by casting a beam on the road.
it's not developed enough for the masses, but it works for me and i'd rather have an imperfect auto light setup than have to reach for the light switch to turn them on and off when it gets dark or light out. the way i sit, it's a long reach for that headlight knob. :shock: :| 8)
That's what DIY/aftermarket is for...it's exactly the sort of thing I'd do to my Buick if it interested me, and it would be a cheap easy gizmo to add if people wanted it. There are probably a few out there, actually.
What would bug you about people driving through your neighborhood at 6000rpm? Noise? The solution would be better soundproofing of the engine bay and quieter exhaust, not taking away choices (which, BTW, is what automatic headlights do!).
first of all, whether it's a quiet factory exhaust or fartcan, a car driving by at 6k rpms is gonna sound loud.
Hence the engine bay soundproofing.
secondly, with auto lights, you do get choices. on my switch, i can have the lights off all the way, have just parking lights on, have them on auto, or have them always on. i can also turn on the fogs by pulling out the knob (then the ghost thing to the left lights up green :twisted: )
"Choice" didn't cover all the territory I meant it to; driver involvement is important. However, certainly a switch with a "No, don't turn the damned headlights on automatically you stupider motherfscking car" position would have made me less irritated with them in my 1997 Pontiac and 2002 GMC. I'd have kept it in that position all the time.
not many choices there, eh?? :o :( :cry: :evil:
Same as my 2008 VW was. It bugged me that there was no position for just the parking lights.
potownrob wrote:i think earlier DRLs were closer in appearance to the real headlights, and GM was big into the DRLs back in the 90s. as for the fog lights, they only come on as cornering lights when the lights are on (whether forced on through the switch or set to auto; it may only work with it set to auto), and you have to have the switch in the auto or on (far right) position for the switch to pull out and turn on the fogs.
Ok, so one lighting thing that I really liked automated: Those cornering lights on your car. They came on with the turn signal AND just from steering even without the turn signal, they faded on instead of suddenly coming on bright but didn't take too long, and I'm not sure but they may even have followed the steering angle. That was pretty sweet. It would be rare that I would want to override that.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Rob, it's actually possible for the fogs to be on without the service lights? Or am I misreading your statement?
Why shouldn't it be? If we're talking about actual fog lights, the idea is that they are mounted low, aimed low, and dim, so that they can illuminate the road in fog without their reflection making the fog even harder to see through. Most "fog" lights seem to really just be decorative auxiliary lights, and some are driving lights...

In GMs, you can turn the OEM fog lights on with just the parking lights (but not headlights) on. Also, they turn off when you switch on the high beams.
Teamwork wrote:If you couldn't see an ORANGE directional through a white LED light- probably need the eyes to be checked.
One thing I've realized over many years of this type of discussion is that what works for my good eyesight/reflexes/abilities/whatever isn't necessarily a good standard. Whether it's right or wrong, plenty of drivers are out there with eyes that need to be checked, crappy reflexes, etc, and it is necessary to pander to a lower common denominator to keep roads safe and comfortable.

I haven't noticed the wink on VWs but I've seen it on other cars. I think I saw it on the Challenger and/or Camaro, and maybe the Corvette. I can't decide if it looks like a malfunction or if it looks totally cool.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

In both vehicles I've had with fogs there was a necessity of having at least parking lights on, as you stated. I thought Rob was saying that there was no requirement whatever that lights be on. Ms. Frizzle requires the parking lights be on.

I'll have to try to run the car one of these days in the fog with just the fogs on. I honestly never realized the service lights should be off for maximum benefit. Mine are plenty bright, but then so are the service lights. I get flashed so often even though I don't make a habit of being the dingbat with his brights on (unless it's an unlit road in the middle of farmlands).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The DRL-off position is the first detent of parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:In both vehicles I've had with fogs there was a necessity of having at least parking lights on, as you stated. I thought Rob was saying that there was no requirement whatever that lights be on. Ms. Frizzle requires the parking lights be on.

I'll have to try to run the car one of these days in the fog with just the fogs on. I honestly never realized the service lights should be off for maximum benefit. Mine are plenty bright, but then so are the service lights. I get flashed so often even though I don't make a habit of being the dingbat with his brights on (unless it's an unlit road in the middle of farmlands).
the headlights have to be on for the fogs to go on. high beams cancel out the fogs (and i heard it's illegal in some here or there parts to run both at the same time). my headlight switch only lets me pull it out for the fogs in the auto and on positions (and in auto the fogs only work while the headlights are on); the knob won't pull out for me in the parking light or off (DRL) positions. you've gotta know your positions!! :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Rob, it's actually possible for the fogs to be on without the service lights? Or am I misreading your statement?
Why shouldn't it be? If we're talking about actual fog lights, the idea is that they are mounted low, aimed low, and dim, so that they can illuminate the road in fog without their reflection making the fog even harder to see through. Most "fog" lights seem to really just be decorative auxiliary lights, and some are driving lights...

In GMs, you can turn the OEM fog lights on with just the parking lights (but not headlights) on. Also, they turn off when you switch on the high beams.
No. :?
THC wrote:
Teamwork wrote:If you couldn't see an ORANGE directional through a white LED light- probably need the eyes to be checked.
One thing I've realized over many years of this type of discussion is that what works for my good eyesight/reflexes/abilities/whatever isn't necessarily a good standard. Whether it's right or wrong, plenty of drivers are out there with eyes that need to be checked, crappy reflexes, etc, and it is necessary to pander to a lower common denominator to keep roads safe and comfortable.

I haven't noticed the wink on VWs but I've seen it on other cars. I think I saw it on the Challenger and/or Camaro, and maybe the Corvette. I can't decide if it looks like a malfunction or if it looks totally cool.
Yes. 8)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
it's not developed enough for the masses, but it works for me and i'd rather have an imperfect auto light setup than have to reach for the light switch to turn them on and off when it gets dark or light out. the way i sit, it's a long reach for that headlight knob. :shock: :| 8)
That's what DIY/aftermarket is for...it's exactly the sort of thing I'd do to my Buick if it interested me, and it would be a cheap easy gizmo to add if people wanted it. There are probably a few out there, actually.
not on a new car under warranty. not rigging up aftermarket switches or gizmos on this rig :evil: :lol: :shock:
What would bug you about people driving through your neighborhood at 6000rpm? Noise? The solution would be better soundproofing of the engine bay and quieter exhaust, not taking away choices (which, BTW, is what automatic headlights do!).
first of all, whether it's a quiet factory exhaust or fartcan, a car driving by at 6k rpms is gonna sound loud.
Hence the engine bay soundproofing.
not even addressing this one.
not many choices there, eh?? :o :( :cry: :evil:
Same as my 2008 VW was. It bugged me that there was no position for just the parking lights.
amen!! :D it pissed me off and was one of the many cheap aspects of that jetta.
potownrob wrote:i think earlier DRLs were closer in appearance to the real headlights, and GM was big into the DRLs back in the 90s. as for the fog lights, they only come on as cornering lights when the lights are on (whether forced on through the switch or set to auto; it may only work with it set to auto), and you have to have the switch in the auto or on (far right) position for the switch to pull out and turn on the fogs.
Ok, so one lighting thing that I really liked automated: Those cornering lights on your car. They came on with the turn signal AND just from steering even without the turn signal, they faded on instead of suddenly coming on bright but didn't take too long, and I'm not sure but they may even have followed the steering angle. That was pretty sweet. It would be rare that I would want to override that.
yeah, they work well. they look stupid from the outside though (i was in front of you in the civic and saw them). those are just the fogs/driving lights lighting up on turns. they don't turn or swivel or anything like that. i usually just turn on the fogs (pull the knob) and both foglights come on and stay on so i can see right in front of the car and the sides of the road better. :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:The DRL-off position is the first detent of parking brake.
learned that on mom's 95 jetta!! those were some bright DRLs!!!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

That is also the "DING DING DING YOUR PARKING BRAKE IS ON SO THIS CHIME WILL CONTINUE AT ITS DEAFENINGLY LOUD LEVEL" position.

Funny story: I use the parking brake in automatics as well as manuals, and some people don't get it. I let someone drive my Pontiac once and when she came back she complained of sluggish acceleration, smoke from the rear, etc. I don't know how she dealt with that handbrake handle sticking up, or that horrid chime constantly dinging.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:high beams cancel out the fogs (and i heard it's illegal in some here or there parts to run both at the same time).
The law in question specifies how many clear forward-facing lights may be on at the same time, limiting it to 4. For vehicles with low beams that stay on when the high beams come on, that means the fog lights have to turn off. From there I suspect that manufacturers decide that it's easier just to re-use the same control circuits and such even when fog lights with high beams would be legally acceptable.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Image
Even if its not long term I still just need the change.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Speaking of parking brakes...I hate those new push button parking brakes. With the conventional parking brake, a new manual driver could use it as a hill holder gradually letting it off as they start.
theholycow wrote:
That is also the "DING DING DING YOUR PARKING BRAKE IS ON SO THIS CHIME WILL CONTINUE AT ITS DEAFENINGLY LOUD LEVEL" position.

Funny story: I use the parking brake in automatics as well as manuals, and some people don't get it. I let someone drive my Pontiac once and when she came back she complained of sluggish acceleration, smoke from the rear, etc. I don't know how she dealt with that handbrake handle sticking up, or that horrid chime constantly dinging.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT