Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: when i drive, i put the mirrors at fig 5. i like to see my car for depth perception/spatial awareness reasons. Spatial awareness is somewhere that ADHD is lacking and therefore having my mirrors cover my rear i can see where my car is in spaaaaaace.
eye halve mein set sow eye can bearly sea my carr. eye half uh hiss tree uff ADD ass well. their arrrrr sup plum mints dat can help whiff dat two. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

There's nothing wrong with moving your head inside the cabin in order to increase your viewing angle through the mirrors. The way I adjust mine to eliminate the blind spot is to align the mirror so that I can just see the edge of my car when my head is leaning toward the driver's side window (and leaning to the midline of the car when adjusting for the same view in the passenger side mirror). When I'm sitting straight behind the wheel, I have the wide view, and if I want any amount of overlap between what I'm seeing in the rearview mirror I just move my head.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote:There's nothing wrong with moving your head inside the cabin in order to increase your viewing angle through the mirrors. The way I adjust mine to eliminate the blind spot is to align the mirror so that I can just see the edge of my car when my head is leaning toward the driver's side window (and leaning to the midline of the car when adjusting for the same view in the passenger side mirror). When I'm sitting straight behind the wheel, I have the wide view, and if I want any amount of overlap between what I'm seeing in the rearview mirror I just move my head.
That's exactly the procedure that a paper in the SAE magazine recommended - You can set the mirrors in a parking lot, since you don't need target vehicles behind or to the side of your vehicle to sight on. You can always make small tweaks if you find that vehicles pass thru blind spots as they transition from rear mirror to side mirror, or if you find that vehicles at the edges of the rear mirror image are also showing in the side mirror image, but the basic set up can be performed before you even leave the lot with your rental car or some other vehicle that you need to reset the mirrors on.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:
wannabe wrote: when i drive, i put the mirrors at fig 5. i like to see my car for depth perception/spatial awareness reasons. Spatial awareness is somewhere that ADHD is lacking and therefore having my mirrors cover my rear i can see where my car is in spaaaaaace.
eye halve mein set sow eye can bearly sea my carr. eye half uh hiss tree uff ADD ass well. their arrrrr sup plum mints dat can help whiff dat two. 8)
i can't understand you

i take adhd meds tho. they don't fix spatial awareness
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
potownrob wrote:eye halve mein set sow eye can bearly sea my carr. eye half uh hiss tree uff ADD ass well. their arrrrr sup plum mints dat can help whiff dat two. 8)
i can't understand you
Kahn Chew Reed?
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote:There's nothing wrong with moving your head inside the cabin in order to increase your viewing angle through the mirrors. The way I adjust mine to eliminate the blind spot is to align the mirror so that I can just see the edge of my car when my head is leaning toward the driver's side window (and leaning to the midline of the car when adjusting for the same view in the passenger side mirror). When I'm sitting straight behind the wheel, I have the wide view, and if I want any amount of overlap between what I'm seeing in the rearview mirror I just move my head.
That's exactly the procedure that a paper in the SAE magazine recommended - You can set the mirrors in a parking lot, since you don't need target vehicles behind or to the side of your vehicle to sight on. You can always make small tweaks if you find that vehicles pass thru blind spots as they transition from rear mirror to side mirror, or if you find that vehicles at the edges of the rear mirror image are also showing in the side mirror image, but the basic set up can be performed before you even leave the lot with your rental car or some other vehicle that you need to reset the mirrors on.
I'm actually going to make the proper adjustments according to that and see how I do for some time. Again, I typically don't like it for other mirror purposes but my dad is pretty keen on doing the style of adjustment for "blindspot priority". I would like some balance in the manner. I don't mind adjusting my head either- I naturally do that anyway as force of nature.

There's an option to getting power folding mirrors that come with the aspherical lens already built in so I might luck out. It's definitely a bitter pill to swallow at $140 for what is essentially two small pieces of glass...
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
wannabe wrote:
potownrob wrote:eye halve mein set sow eye can bearly sea my carr. eye half uh hiss tree uff ADD ass well. their arrrrr sup plum mints dat can help whiff dat two. 8)
i can't understand you
Kahn Chew Reed?
sometimes. other times i don't want to dicipher english. i dicipher it on the phones often (thick accents from either boston, canada (french), the south, africa, india, asia, etc.

Crafting and stuff
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Boston accents arent that bad. Its the speed at which we talk that causes problems for most non-Massholes
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

if you're facing west on a road, by a highway, and i ask you if you're by the nb or sb side of the highway, don't tell me it "depends on which way he's going" north and south DO. NOT. CHANGE. directions. The highway there (i 95 and stirling in hollywoodish fl) is going n/s. and the other road e/w. if you don't know what direction you're facing (or what ramps you're by) i can't get the driver to the right spot without him possibly needing to turn around (difficult to do in traffic).

Even if South is going East, it's still south. I have a paper here that says N = W and S = E. because i get confused at slanty roads and highways that aren't straight.

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:Boston accents arent that bad. Its the speed at which we talk that causes problems for most non-Massholes
same for new yawkaz!! we apparently tawk too fast for them there southerners. i've had bostonians act surprised i could understand them and one even thought i was from out that way. told them they could thank family guy for that.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I-94 going from Detroit to where it ends in Port Huron (across the river from Sarnia, Ontario) is mostly a North-South road, even if it is an East-West Interstate.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I just heard another metal moving scheme whereby one can lease 2 Snuzes for $222 a month after a $3k down payment. Who would want one of those tin cans let alone 2!?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

My woes with the job interviewing/selection process are still present. I can't get over how many "phone interviews" I've had to do after spending a little over 2 decades on earth and never having to do them prior to this point. What's really getting hectic now is juggling all of the opportunities because you always "over-apply" and trying to give 100% effort and remember relevant facts for each of them. I've been contacted back by a ton of "reach positions" which makes me feel pretty good about myself and there were some that surprised me that I didn't hear back from- for even a chance to interview and sell myself. I'm in like different tiers/stages for some... some I've made it to like 2nd/3rd tiers and others I'm just getting pretty much screened for. I've had to take assessments that legitimately have taken an hour and I feel like I should get a consolation prize just for doing...

I had one earlier this morning with another top financial institution and I really thought the HR recruiter did a below average job conducting the interview. She was nice, the questions were vague to moderate behavioral case studies but she kind of unsettled me throughout the 35 minute process. I would basically get presented a question and she would stay near dead silent throughout the entire response- I would provide fairly detailed information pretty much in the form of a paragraph (multiple statements) and then she was just pause after I finished speaking. It definitely seemed like she was physically writing down points I was making or notes as I would give the statement response but the 'dead air' kind of unsettled me. It wasn't like I was giving nonchalant insight and responses. She also had to take an "important" phone call in the middle of the interview which she excused herself for about a minute and came back. All of these things kind of threw me off and I felt like I couldn't get into a decent flow. My responses were still top notch I felt and what a company like this was looking to hear.

I also hate and don't really understand the question in regards to compensation expectations. I really answer that one vague and reassure that I'm flexible and it's negotiable. I don't really get to the point of the question and anything good coming out of it for the interviewee... answer with a number too high and you shoot yourself in the head, answer with a number too low and you shoot yourself in a leg. I really never understood the grounds of this and obviously if I applied for the position, I had at least an idea of a ball park range, and have done some sort of research on it.

I feel like the weakest form of interview for me is this phone screening business because it's hard to gauge and direct the conversation. You're being careful not to talk over one and another, but you can't cue in on body language and facial expressions. It's all left to assumption and imagination at points. I'm really hoping that this process leads to something great by next month- I feel like I'm getting burnt out by everything and I've definitely been pretty stressed out about it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A company will never really know "who" they've hired until they hire them and put them on the job.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:A company will never really know "who" they've hired until they hire them and put them on the job.
Same goes for the worker. I've had plenty of jobs that sound good during the interview only to have the actual work be terrible. Many of these companies have procedures that make it impossible to deal with questions quickly. Keep trucking teamwork.

Today I was made to feel guilty for having an interview tomorrow. I currently work on contract and the job is expiring in a few months and moving out of state.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!