Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by RITmusic2k »

Glad to see we have a few Eagle Scouts represented here! My board of review went long, though after the fact I was tipped off that it was because they liked my responses and wanted more. From my perspective it felt harder than a job interview, but the inquiries were a nice balance between challenging and supportive. I realized they were all "on my side", as it were, but that I was going to need to work for my accomplishment.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

RITmusic2k wrote:Glad to see we have a few Eagle Scouts represented here! My board of review went long, though after the fact I was tipped off that it was because they liked my responses and wanted more. From my perspective it felt harder than a job interview, but the inquiries were a nice balance between challenging and supportive. I realized they were all "on my side", as it were, but that I was going to need to work for my accomplishment.
based on what i'd heard from other eagles in my troop, my board was much easier than theirs. my questions were not about current events and more complex situations and how i'd deal with them, like theirs were. that's not to say no one else ever had an easy board of review; i think they tailor them to the scout though. not to say mine was a cake-walk, as there were at least a few philosophical questions that tested my thinking and views on things but, looking back, they definitely weren't critical of whatever B.S. responses i gave.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

never did any scout type stuff, only the religious version via my church.

unrelated:

"its a nissan altima monte carlo ss, 3800 series"
"...is it a nissan altima or a monte carlo ss?"
".......monte carlo?" (its what he had on file, an 01 monte carlo)

dunno what the rest is about, wtf
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:never did any scout type stuff, only the religious version via my church.

unrelated:

Q) What do you get when you take the engine from a Nissan Altima and put it in your Monte Carlo?
A) You get the "Skunk Eye" from the guy that owned the Nissan and 30 days in the county jail.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

wannabe wrote:never did any scout type stuff, only the religious version via my church.

unrelated:

Probably had some document that had all his vehicles on it, like an insurance card or something of that nature.

"Does it say NISSAN in a circle on the front or does it have a bow tie?" would have covered it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:"Does it say NISSAN in a circle on the front or does it have a bow tie?" would have covered it.
Do most people naturally identify it as a bow tie? I barely see the resemblance, and only because I am aware of the branding. I would not ask someone if the logo looks like a bow tie.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:[]
Do most people naturally identify it as a bow tie? I barely see the resemblance, and only because I am aware of the branding. I would not ask someone if the logo looks like a bow tie.
Fickset
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Just did my routine 6 hour stint at the NY Auto Show at the Javits Center. Thought I'd share some of my brief reporting and if anyone here had any questions. I always try and go every year since it's insanely cheap to go $20 for LIRR fare + show ticket. I've been going on Sat/Sun for the last few years and that's been a huge mistake (way too over crowded) so I tried going the day after Easter this year and it was definitely less packed. Still quite a bit of kids present but not nearly as bad. That's kind of my major annoyance and I know I'm not in the right demographic yet to "accept" this but I really can't stand when parents use this event as a means of letting their kids run rampant all over the place. They are spilling drinks in Audi's and BMW's and basically jumping up and down inside vehicle name plates that won't even exist when they are old enough to get a drivers permit. Annoying...

Shouldn't come to anyone's surprise but manual transmission now a rare bird across the board. Actual dead pedal rests in manuals or automatics endangered species as well. I honestly could name 4 vehicles that had anything notable- most vehicles are just baron carpet or an after thought of "rubbery plastic" for a size 7 men's shoe. I didn't realize the substantial aluminum foot rest in my GTI wasn't something that is common. This industry is really started to cater to cellphone and blu tooth integration and technology above anything else. The resurgence of mini van's and mom SUV's on the rise across the board.

Favorite Vehicles seen and felt: Cadillac ATS Spec V - Really great looking car inside and outside. Blingy car with a vette engine and a 6 speed manual, BMW M2 - BMW's throw back to before they went commercial, (honorable mention SUV choice)Land Rover Evoque - Orange and a black roof with red interior...

Worst Vehicles seen and felt:: Smart Fortwo - I would shamelessly judge anyone who used their own money to buy this thing. Mitsubishi I-MIEV - (I don't even know if that's what its called) The biggest POS I think I've sat in for a long time. It honestly felt like a downgrade from my 95 Corolla.

Best interior value across a brand: Hyundai/KIA - The Koreans might of finally trumped the Japanese. They just feel like they are above the price point.

Worst interior value across a brand: FCA/Chevy - They still can't get it right after all of these years/decades. 40k FCA vehicles feel flimsy somehow and the materials are just so low rent. Chevy is improving in some vehicles but the dated ones they have out still reek of bail out money.

Intriguing 'cheap' cars: Chevy Spark - I think I'd hate it once I test drive it but the overall look and feel isn't too bad. Some interesting design themes I'd say but it doesn't feel too cheap to sit in. Scion iA - This is literally one arm rest and console away from being a car I'd consider as a daily driver/beater. Hyundai Accent - On the sticker it said it was equipped with a B&M Shift Kit? Car was able to turn onto ACC mode and the stereo might even have better sound quality then in my GTI somehow. It doesn't feel like a cheap car.

Trend that I hope disappears.. Alcantara... what is the deal with these premium brands using this everywhere? Especially on a steering wheel that is a CONSTANT touch point. When 1000's of people touch this stuff it looks worn and dirty... I could only imagine how this stuff ages in 2 years of daily usage.

Overall, I was kind of underwhelmed this year at the car show. I feel like sporty cars are kind of taking a back seat to main stream vehicles and SUV's. The two brands that seemed to still have a ton of manual transmissions on the floor were Ford, VW, and Mazda. Everyone else is kind of sweeping it under the rug and putting up the white flag. Honda literally had 0 out there... and Subaru had 3 WRX's on the floor all equipped with CVT LOL.

If anyone wants to know anything feel free to ask- I tried to sit in everything!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

theholycow wrote:Do most people naturally identify it as a bow tie? I barely see the resemblance, and only because I am aware of the branding. I would not ask someone if the logo looks like a bow tie.
Good point. Funny foreshortened cross with some diagonal edges? Still, "Does it say Nissan on it?" would do the job. They're not shy with their logo.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:
theholycow wrote:Do most people naturally identify it as a bow tie? I barely see the resemblance, and only because I am aware of the branding. I would not ask someone if the logo looks like a bow tie.
Good point. Funny foreshortened cross with some diagonal edges? Still, "Does it say Nissan on it?" would do the job. They're not shy with their logo.
I think I would equate that with a bow tie, especially if you think PeeWee Herman.

Personally bow ties are a little twee and should die in a fire.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Teamwork, does give Spark still look like a startled squirrel?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Teamwork, does give Spark still look like a startled squirrel?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote:Personally bow ties are a little twee and should die in a fire.
Bill Nye wears a bow tie and that's enough for me.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Teamwork, does give Spark still look like a startled squirrel?
It always kind of looked like a 4 wheel roller skate to me. I think it wears the re-design better then the Sonic does which basically makes it look the same as the Sonic. I'm not too sure how a 90 HP car will work around here though... not sure if the transmission was updated from a 4 speed traditional.